Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Shooting clubs in Paris?

Wikiposts

Shooting clubs in Paris?

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shooting clubs in Paris?

Not my personal cuppa tea, but a friend (who may be joining the police firearms division) wants to come over in April and has enjoyed the shooting ranges they have in the States and wanted to know if they have any in Paris. I told him it's probably quite regulated like the UK and you won't have access to Uzi's, AK-47's and the like, but I'd look into it (hence my lazy effort of posting in the forum!).

Does anyone happen to know what the regulations are and if there are licensed clubs where tourists can walk in and pay to try all manner of arsonary?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Bel de la bourre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shooting clubs in Paris?

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Not my personal cuppa tea, but a friend (who may be joining the police firearms division) wants to come over in April and has enjoyed the shooting ranges they have in the States and wanted to know if they have any in Paris. I told him it's probably quite regulated like the UK and you won't have access to Uzi's, AK-47's and the like, but I'd look into it (hence my lazy effort of posting in the forum!).

Does anyone happen to know what the regulations are and if there are licensed clubs where tourists can walk in and pay to try all manner of arsonary?
You could go al fresco here in Saint Denis........
I jest. I hear that having a gun licence is very strict in France, both in and outdoors. I can't say I've heard of any gun clubs here in Paris but then I've never looked...I'll try and have a reccy on the worldwide wibble for you,
Bel
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:51 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G-J-B

Find a club HERE Shooting Federation website there is a box on the right hand side that allows you to search for a gun club in France by department etc., Our local club offers Small Arms and Rifle loan on a day shoot basis but no were near Paris. It may well depend on the Club as Ammunition can be tied to a license on certain categories of Arms and only a limited amount is Purchasable each year. Phone your District Federation HQ they will be most obliged to point you in the right direction.

Might be easier for you to join the Shooting Federation buy a Gun and go to the range with your Friend can all be done at the same time have a Look HERE It's not that hard to get a gun here at all you could always sell it after he has gone or stick it in a safe and take up shooting yourself. It's a Blast If he is hoping to join a Trojan Team find a Club that will loan a Glock 17 as it's the used Side Arm with some exceptions.

If you want to buy hand guns and or self loading weapons (these are in categories 4 and 1) then you’ll have to get a carnet de tir. This is simply a log book which you must get stamped at your club every two months as proof that you go shooting and are seen by the other club members.

After you’ve collected 3 stamps (6 months) you can then complete a green piece of paper from your club called ‘Avis Preable’ which is signed by the regional president confirms that they think you are OK to buy some more interesting firearms.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Feb 3rd 2009 at 4:27 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the complete "thingy" with the 8 categories!
Sorry, but I couldn't find any English translation..
http://www.webmaestru.net/documents/reglementation/
It's not quite as tight as in the UK (from what little I know of that.. as when I left many years ago, one could walk the streets carrying a "naked" rifle or shotgun and nobody would bat an eyelid!) as Category 7 includes handguns like "Safegom" which shoot "rubber" bullets 11mm calibre which kick like a horse from 3-10 metres and could kill within 3 metres if hitting an eye, for example. Further Cat. 7 includes .22LR bolt action rifles and sub-sonic up to high velocity ammunition, which can, of course be lethal. Cat. 7 can be bought in any gun shop (armurier) under the condition you give an ID and checkable address and register your firearms at the local prefecture or, more usually, gendarmerie, on which you get a receipt of registration.

I have a .22LR Luger rifle which I bought in France about 10 years ago and no troubles to de/re-register when moving to other departments, etc.

If you join a club de chasse you get permission to buy 12bore shotguns and larger bore rifles (e.g. for hunting "sanglier", but you will need to undergo some tests before permits are granted.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Going postal in Saint Denis - there's a thought. May take it to the local Carrefour when they block the aisles with their trolleys again!

Really appreciate the heap of information you guys have dug up. The glock17 sounds like fun. I think he had more semi-automatic types in mind, and not rifles - he was somehow hoping the laws weren't as regulated elsewhere in Europe.

If I'm back in the sticks again I wouldn't mind a .22LR Luger rifle on me. I swear in Ardeche I was being stalked by a large wild boar whilst out in a remote wood, and all I had on me was my dinner knife!

I'll chase up on your suggestions.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

A 22LR against an adult boar could be more dangerous than effective - unless you got a direct heart or eye shot!! They don't play about when wounded and they can be VERY fast!!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

As you can see I don't know my weaponry too well. Would surely have been better than my picnic knife though! Mind you it was a sharp Ardeche made one (and they have a reputation for making some of the best in France)... I'll either go with a double barrelled shotgun, or more likely a scramble up the nearest tree next time!