Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Shipping furniture from Lancashire to Limoux

Shipping furniture from Lancashire to Limoux

Old May 27th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

brickweb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shipping furniture from Lancashire to Limoux

We live in Lancashire and want to ship some furniture to Limoux, South West France. Anybody know of any good removal companies?
Old May 27th 2010, 6:30 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping furniture from Lancashire to Limoux

Originally Posted by brickweb
We live in Lancashire and want to ship some furniture to Limoux, South West France. Anybody know of any good removal companies?
Personally I wouldnt trust anyone in Blackburn...

Seriously though, I'd start with the local council business office and take it from there, that way you know who to trust.
Old May 28th 2010, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

www.bar.co.uk

www.ngrs.co.uk

using the search facility on either of these sites might be a good place to start
Old May 28th 2010, 8:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

How much furniture? Packed or unpacked?
Old May 28th 2010, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We used Luker Bros in Oxford who do part-loads thro europe.
Downside is that they deliver when they have sufficient goods to make a run.
Our truck was going on after us to South France and then Italy.
Good service though but not cheap.

We actually got the delivery when we wanted it but that is not guaranteed.

Good luck
Old May 28th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

Yes, there are basically three options available, depending on load size.

Dedicated
Part Load
Groupage

If, for arguments sake the 'move' was the contents of a normal three bed house (@15>1600cuft) then using Limoux as an example a dedicated run would be @£4300. The advantage of this level of service is the speed and surety. Moving out of your home on, say Monday, and into the new one on Wednesday morning, with the same crew. Your items having not been touched since loading.

However, there is a lot of money to be saved by going down the part load route. A company may collate @4 customers, all with an average of @1000>1500 cuft and send everything out together. The savings over a dedicated run can be large (up to @50%) but you may end up waiting anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks to take delivery, and the goods will have been handled at least three times.

Groupage: For smaller amounts you can look at groupage, a fim may have anywhere from 4 to 10 customers, all with anywhere from 100cuft to 1000 cuft and everything will be collected together at one point and then sent out when the allocated vehicle or trailer is 'full'. Massive cost savings to be had, can easily cost only 20% of a dedicated run charge. Downside is potentially 2>6 weeks for delivery, and goods being sat and multihandled.

The above applies to mainland Europe destinations, like Limoux
Old May 28th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We moved from Lancashire (Preston) to the Loire Valley (now that was a difficult decision )

We got quotes from the big companies but in the end found a chap in the yellow pages, a man with a big lorry, whom we paid in cash and did the job just fine, and of course loads cheaper than the big companies, Pickfords etc. We didn't have a vast amount of furniture and certainly nothing precious. He brought the stuff over a couple of weeks after we moved over as arranged and we were very happy. That was six years ago and I can't recall his name...

Ironically this afternoon I am meeting a removals company who are doing the reverse for some friends who have just sold up in France and the stuff is going back to Ireland. I will make a note of the name.
Old May 28th 2010, 12:14 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
. . . friends who have just sold up in France and the stuff is going back to Ireland. I will make a note of the name.
Try Patrick as a starter.

Oh, did you mean the name of the removal company . . .
Old May 28th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

The only Patrick I know is French
Old May 28th 2010, 3:03 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

The only Patrick I know is French
The only one I know is Irish.
Old May 29th 2010, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice so far... looking in to all your replies and investigating thanks
Old May 29th 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Ironically this afternoon I am meeting a removals company who are doing the reverse for some friends who have just sold up in France and the stuff is going back to Ireland. I will make a note of the name.
The company is Bishops Move, sorry I didn't get the phone number but they do have a website. They were pretty much on time and got the job done quick smart, it was a part load. All seemed good to me.
Old May 31st 2010, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Thank you, went to Bishops website and filled form out for a quote and will follow up by phone tomorrow after the holiday.
Old May 31st 2010, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

We used Hunts International for a household move last year and got great service at the lowest price being quoted by a respectable outfit. They do part loads using containers that are removable from the truck unit and stored in their yard, so our stuff wasn't disturbed between loading in the UK and unloading here. We were quoted up to 2 weeks but it ended up beating us to the south and met us as we arrived at the new house. We also had the same driver at both ends and kept in touch directly with him throughout so knew what was happening at all times, which really helps coordinate everything. I would highly recommend them.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:39 am
Just Joined

torrebloke is an unknown quantity at this point

We used L & S Transport, a Yorkshire based company.
They do regular runs through France to Spain.
Their contact details are:
www.landstransport.webs.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.