Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Setting up a decoder to receive French TV

Setting up a decoder to receive French TV

Old May 26th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Setting up a decoder to receive French TV

Hi All

Just wondered if any of you more technical types could help me out. We have Sky TV on a non-subscription basis, which is great but not good for improving one's French!

I am trying to get French TV on our spare telly. I have a Tonna (?) decoder, which we used to use before we succumbed to Sky, however I can't seem to get this tuned in, we also bought a Strong box when we arrived, 4 years ago, it cost 200 € and we have never had it installed. So, can anyone tell me which satellite and what else I need to know (sorry, it is all a bit technical to me) I downloaded something but I think it applies to the UK but at least I could follow the instructions, now I just need the technical stuff....

We have 2 dishes, I think the Tonna one may have been adjusted to receive Sky And we have a second one higher up which was here when we came, the cables I have seem to be connected to that so I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to get some French channels. Or is it not that simple?

Sue
Old May 27th 2008, 11:57 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Setting up a decoder to receive French TV

Just a thought, although you have probably tried this - our TV is just plugged into the aerial outlet in the wall using an adaptor we bought in SuperU or some such place. Now it picks up all 5 french channels! We don't have a Sky box or anything, so I'm thinking you may be able to get the channels without resorting to such high tech stuff!

Sorry I can't help with the more techy stuff, someone will soon, I'm sure - if not - what about PM'ing whatsisname from Oz, (the one who described how to set your computer up for proxy sites etc...) he may know a way!
Old May 27th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Just a thought, although you have probably tried this - our TV is just plugged into the aerial outlet in the wall using an adaptor we bought in SuperU or some such place. Now it picks up all 5 french channels! We don't have a Sky box or anything, so I'm thinking you may be able to get the channels without resorting to such high tech stuff!

Sorry I can't help with the more techy stuff, someone will soon, I'm sure - if not - what about PM'ing whatsisname from Oz, (the one who described how to set your computer up for proxy sites etc...) he may know a way!
Can't help either - just plug in and hope it works sort of person
Sure Ka Ora! will be able to help when he's around next - or send him a pm.
Old May 28th 2008, 1:16 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

The French Digital channels are avalaible on Atlantic Bird 3 at 5 Degrees West (Horizontal Alignment). For your location you are looking of a Elevation of about 35.05 degrees (That's Vertical Alignment) Here is a list of the channels available on Atlantic Bird 3
Old May 29th 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Ka Ora!

So busy at the moment, farm to run whilst hubby is away, and we have family and friends caravanning in our farmyard! Also making five childrens fancy dress costumes, although I'm sure I had only four children at the last count!
So I haven't had time to sort TV out, but I remembered being impressed at someones knowledge of TV stuff on this site - I thank you for your advice and I have taken note. I'll let you know how I get on. Eventually.....