Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Servitude trouble

Wikiposts

Servitude trouble

Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default Servitude trouble

Hi all, welcome to all the new folks while I've been away in the Charente, back in Sweden now for a month or so before returning.

We have stumbled on a small problem. In the deeds of purchase of our house there was a notice about a 'servitude' (right of access) which gave our neighbours the right to cross our courtyard to get to their barn. This was OK as the shortest route would still keep them out of sight of our back garden. Now all of a sudden they have started strolling along the whole length of our garden to get to other outbuildings not included in the 'servitude'. When I pointed this out to them, they said that their version of the servitude gave them the right to access all of their buildings and even a back piece of land behind our garden. I asked to see their deeds and checked that the language of the two servitudes was different. Theirs being vaguer than ours. I wonder if anyone here has met with a similar problem and how they have solved it?
Thanks in advance, everyone have a nice rest of the summer!
Blackie
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:17 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Servitude trouble

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hi all, welcome to all the new folks while I've been away in the Charente, back in Sweden now for a month or so before returning.

We have stumbled on a small problem. In the deeds of purchase of our house there was a notice about a 'servitude' (right of access) which gave our neighbours the right to cross our courtyard to get to their barn. This was OK as the shortest route would still keep them out of sight of our back garden. Now all of a sudden they have started strolling along the whole length of our garden to get to other outbuildings not included in the 'servitude'. When I pointed this out to them, they said that their version of the servitude gave them the right to access all of their buildings and even a back piece of land behind our garden. I asked to see their deeds and checked that the language of the two servitudes was different. Theirs being vaguer than ours. I wonder if anyone here has met with a similar problem and how they have solved it?
Thanks in advance, everyone have a nice rest of the summer!
Blackie
10 times out of ten these issues get clarified at a Notaires, Getting copy of theirs would be handy to show to your notaire so he can give his professional judgement. Failing that it's the hard court room route which will annoy you no end if you lose. Servitude however do have the route marked on them and it could be that theirs is incomplete. We had one on our land so I just purchased the other bit as well Sorted.

The French are prone to pushing their luck when someone new moves in and more feuds erupt over less trivial matters.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Ka Ora thanks for the reply.
The strange thing is that the texts of the two deeds of purchase (ours and our neighbours) are not the same!

Ours says (roughly in translation) 'there is a right of way via the shortest and least inconveniencing route from the municipal route marked number 5 across the courtyard which is subject of the present purchase to gain access to the barn marked (number) on cadastral map zone (number)'.

Our neighbours says 'there is a right of way via the shortest and least inconveniencing route from the municipal route marked number 5 across the courtyard which is subject of the present purchase marked (number) on cadastral map zone (number)'.

Hence the vital words 'to gain access to the barn' have been omitted from their version!

By the way there is no route marked on the map at all.

I suspect that their notaire has either been negligent in copying the text from the land registry version or has wilfully doctored to the text to make it look more extensive in scope than it really is.

Could I gain access to the land registry files to check the original version? This dates from 1975 and so is not actually that long ago.

Our neighbours on that side of the house are English and she seems quite easy going, but the guy is a gung ho type who seems to think he owns half our property as well.
Thanks for any thoughts on the above
Bonne Journée
Blackie
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:31 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

You can goes to the Cadastre and make inquiries, Get big maps little ones. But the Notaires Office is the best bet as their relationship with the Cadastre Office will be a lot better than the average Joe Smo's. And it's what they get paid to do. Getting it resolved to your liking is probably going to start another small war or at least have you neighbours and everyone they know hate you forever and half as much again. It's par the course in France.

Hi Ka Ora thanks for the reply.
The strange thing is that the texts of the two deeds of purchase (ours and our neighbours) are not the same!

Ours says (roughly in translation) 'there is a right of way via the shortest and least inconveniencing route from the municipal route marked number 5 across the courtyard which is subject of the present purchase to gain access to the barn marked (number) on cadastral map zone (number)'.

Our neighbours says 'there is a right of way via the shortest and least inconveniencing route from the municipal route marked number 5 across the courtyard which is subject of the present purchase marked (number) on cadastral map zone (number)'.

Hence the vital words 'to gain access to the barn' have been omitted from their version!

By the way there is no route marked on the map at all.

I suspect that their notaire has either been negligent in copying the text from the land registry version or has wilfully doctored to the text to make it look more extensive in scope than it really is.

Could I gain access to the land registry files to check the original version? This dates from 1975 and so is not actually that long ago.

Our neighbours on that side of the house are English and she seems quite easy going, but the guy is a gung ho type who seems to think he owns half our property as well.
Thanks for any thoughts on the above
Bonne Journée
Blackie
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm off to Charente in a few days... When looking at houses I always asked about rights of way as I didn't particularly like the idea that neighbours could walk by whilst you're sunbathing naked in the back garden... Well, I don't actually sunbathe fullstop.
I appreciate your frustrations, and I think you have a tricky diplomatic situation on your hands, as you really don't want to fall out with your neighbours. I completely understand you wanting your privacy too. Ka Ora gives good advice - I would go take it up with the professionals, it's the only way you can get closure on this.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbours on that side of the house are English
Blackie
Bloody English!!