Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Selling in the Vendee

Selling in the Vendee

Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

oasis51 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling in the Vendee

I have read a few threads on here which relate to the parlous state of French estate agents. I should have cast my mind back to time when I was trying to buy 9 years ago, and the distinct lack of enthusiasm of the agents back then.
I have been trying to find a decent estate agent in the Vendee and I am overwhelmed by the waves of apathy. As one correspondent pointed out, they are enthusiastic up to the point of getting you to sign their 'sole dealers clause' and after that they just seem to slip away. After dealing with estate agents in the UK I suppose I was used to people actually working hard to make a sale! How naive to believe the Immobiliers would posses the same attitude. My burning question is, how do these people make a living?
Anyway, I would appreciate any advice on websites where I might advertise
3 bedroom house situated in the Village of La Jonchere, near to La Tranche sur Mer. I love it and it will break my heart to sell but divorce has no respect for love and emotion.
I was advised that Norway, Sweden and Netherlands were the only 'Nationalities' with an interest or the capital to purchasing houses in France currently. Does anybody know of any good websites, estate agents in any of those countries?
Thanks for taking the time to read my mini rant.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling in the Vendee

Hi there

cant help you with the swedish etc websites but have you tried leboncoin, paravendu etc in France?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear of your situation, fully commiserate about the estate agent problem - its not just France.

I have been trying to sell in UK, house put on the market in April, 4 visits arranged, 1 no show, one offer turned out to be an Asian buy-to-leter who made a stupid offer, then offered almost asking, tried to mis-represent the survey and get back down towards his first offer. Pulled the plug, won't put up with it. All the agent could say was "he's just trying to get the house for the best price possible" Wonder why I am paying him, perhaps he should take his commission from the buyer!!
So its going into rental as that market is good at the moment and we will re-advertise in 6 months or so.

Have been trying to rent a house in Spain as the oh is living in a flat at the moment and we want some more room once I get out there. Agents have been given a spec to meet and take her to some of the most unlikely places. One the builders had completed the shell 5yrs ago but it had never been completed internally. Owner wanted a signature on lease so he could go to the bank and get some money to work on it.
found a place through a friend who knew a friend, but they pulled out 2 days before signing the lease!
One agency said yes, houses galore, we are the ones for you. All they do is send me an email every week of properties for sale not rent, in totally the wrong part of the country.

I really don't think there is any go in the housing market whatsoever, and you are right - how do they manage to exist.? know of a couple here who have locked up and just left it, don't answer fone or emails, but the website still running at the moment.

So I have almost finished packing a house up, and there is nowhere to go.
Oh and don't ask about storage companies........

try googling "houses for sale" in your area and see what comes up,
good luck,
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Domino
sorry to hear of your situation, fully commiserate about the estate agent problem - its not just France.

I have been trying to sell in UK, house put on the market in April, 4 visits arranged, 1 no show, one offer turned out to be an Asian buy-to-leter who made a stupid offer, then offered almost asking, tried to mis-represent the survey and get back down towards his first offer. Pulled the plug, won't put up with it. All the agent could say was "he's just trying to get the house for the best price possible" Wonder why I am paying him, perhaps he should take his commission from the buyer!!
So its going into rental as that market is good at the moment and we will re-advertise in 6 months or so.

Have been trying to rent a house in Spain as the oh is living in a flat at the moment and we want some more room once I get out there. Agents have been given a spec to meet and take her to some of the most unlikely places. One the builders had completed the shell 5yrs ago but it had never been completed internally. Owner wanted a signature on lease so he could go to the bank and get some money to work on it.
found a place through a friend who knew a friend, but they pulled out 2 days before signing the lease!
One agency said yes, houses galore, we are the ones for you. All they do is send me an email every week of properties for sale not rent, in totally the wrong part of the country.

I really don't think there is any go in the housing market whatsoever, and you are right - how do they manage to exist.? know of a couple here who have locked up and just left it, don't answer fone or emails, but the website still running at the moment.

So I have almost finished packing a house up, and there is nowhere to go.
Oh and don't ask about storage companies........

try googling "houses for sale" in your area and see what comes up,
good luck,
We just googled and googled and as it turned out the estate agents we hooked up with turned out to be English and very proactive. Couldn't have been more helpful.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonkemp
We just googled and googled and as it turned out the estate agents we hooked up with turned out to be English and very proactive. Couldn't have been more helpful.
they don't do Southern Spain and East Anglia do they ? ? ?

the problems we have had makes me think of starting my own agency, but then I am supposed to be retiring, even if not by nature.

good luck, come back and tell us all about it
rgds
Old Sep 19th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oasis51
I have read a few threads on here which relate to the parlous state of French estate agents. I should have cast my mind back to time when I was trying to buy 9 years ago, and the distinct lack of enthusiasm of the agents back then.
I have been trying to find a decent estate agent in the Vendee and I am overwhelmed by the waves of apathy. As one correspondent pointed out, they are enthusiastic up to the point of getting you to sign their 'sole dealers clause' and after that they just seem to slip away. After dealing with estate agents in the UK I suppose I was used to people actually working hard to make a sale! How naive to believe the Immobiliers would posses the same attitude. My burning question is, how do these people make a living?
3 bedroom house situated in the Village of La Jonchere, near to La Tranche sur Mer. I love it and it will break my heart to sell but divorce has no respect for love and emotion.
I was advised that Norway, Sweden and Netherlands were the only 'Nationalities' with an interest or the capital to purchasing houses in France currently. Does anybody know of any good websites, estate agents in any of those countries?
There are still some Brits who are looking at France - some from the UK; some from Spain and some from Australia.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

jonkemp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cyrian
There are still some Brits who are looking at France - some from the UK; some from Spain and some from Australia.
I know this thread was originally about the Vendee (South Pays de La Loire) and I'm talking about Mayenne (North Pays de La Loire)....

We saw our house on the 4th Aug, put in an offer two weeks later. It was accepted. Put in a lower offer when we found out the Fosse needed replacing. It was accepted. Hopefully we will complete on the 24th Oct!
Another house we viewed has also been sold to an English family as has another that we saw on the web, but didn't get to view. All these are with the same small estate agents (Maison Perfect). They only have a dozen or so houses on their books and they have been so friendly and helpful it is difficult to praise them enough.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:44 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oasis, you can see where I live. Two friends have had houses on market nearby, one has sold, the other not and agent dumped for new agent. Can't answer your query re apathy; it surprises me also. There are some agents to avoid, either because they are inactive, or some are pleasant but want the sale to come through the door. I can advise if you want to PM me.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

After dealing with estate agents in the UK I suppose I was used to people actually working hard to make a sale! How naive to believe the Immobiliers would posses the same attitude. My burning question is, how do these people make a living?
In good faith : have you ever tried any estate agents in Surrey , S.E. England ?
Next time I find any one of them that actually does anything but chat on various phones , goes out for a Costa Latte and multiple ciggies , gels his hair / brushes hers aside and continue to discuss their next piss-ups , I'll buy them all a drink , too !
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:46 pm
montjoie St denis

laertes953 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ! I am french ! it's normal that french estate agents in your area are lazy..... they don't have to work......work comes to them.....!!
Don't worry ! your département (Vendée) is much sought after..... You will have no problem to sell !!! with plus-value !!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

jonjar is an unknown quantity at this point

These people are very good, we have used them for both buying and selling houses in la vendee. They are in Angles, not too far from you.

http://www.agence-grolleau.fr/
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:03 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjar
These people are very good, we have used them for both buying and selling houses in la vendee. They are in Angles, not too far from you.

http://www.agence-grolleau.fr/
Sorry jonjar, not the experience of a friend. They sat on their hands.
Old Oct 11th 2011, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

jonjar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
No, they are good and have sold houses for us and other friends in the area. Go and see them and make up your own mind. By the way, I have no financial connection with them whatsoever.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

oasis51 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
Sorry but Cjm is absolutely right, Agence Grolleau was my estate agent. I was on their books for over 2 years. I didn't get any advice, interest, offers, correspondence.............. I can believe you're not on their payroll, I doubt if they could afford you.