Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Selling a property without an estate agent

Selling a property without an estate agent

Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

toughspiders will become famous soon enoughtoughspiders will become famous soon enough
Default Selling a property without an estate agent

Hi there,
We have found a buyer for our french home without the help of an estate agent.

We are having a right time trying to get hold of the notaire to start the ball rolling...."compromis de vente" needs drawing up...we have emailed and wrote and still not had a reply!

Has anyone had any experience of selling without an agent? If so was it easy?

Thanks
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

markfjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling a property without an estate agent

Hi we had no problems selling our house
Phoned our notaire told him who the buyers where with there details and four and a half weeks after the cooling of period we had sold, Mind you we did spend the next 5 months
Riberac camp site until we moved in hear
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

toughspiders will become famous soon enoughtoughspiders will become famous soon enough

arghhhh! Seriously getting nowhere fast. We have tried emailing, writing and phoning the notiaire to get the compromis sent out so our buyer and ourselves can sign. We are getting nowhere,

Does anyone know of any companies that will handle sales and dealings with the notaires (any that dont charge the earth!)

We are now getting short on time and need to have it all completed around the 27th July.

Help please

Bex
Old Apr 25th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toughspiders
arghhhh! Seriously getting nowhere fast. We have tried emailing, writing and phoning the notiaire to get the compromis sent out so our buyer and ourselves can sign. We are getting nowhere,

Does anyone know of any companies that will handle sales and dealings with the notaires (any that dont charge the earth!)

We are now getting short on time and need to have it all completed around the 27th July.

Help please

Bex
Hi Bex
are you in France selling your home, or trying to do it from UK?
What replies are you getting when you phone, email the notaire - if any!
If you aren't getting any replies, silly question, but do you have the correct contact details. Sorry, but I think if you could be a bit more specific, you might get more replies. I haven't come across this problem before and am battling to understand why it's happening to you.
You do know that the buyers not the sellers, pay commission to the estate agents in France don't you, so if you did use one, you wouldn't have to pay them, although I guess if you have already found a buyer that doesn't help.
If sounds like you need to make an appointment to see the Notaire so that the Compromis de Vente can be drawn up and sent to your buyer. Is there another notaire close to where you are that you can use if all else fails?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya sorry,
Not explained myself very well.

We are in the UK

We bought the house 5 years ago through an estate agent and last year bought a plot of land. For both purchases we used the same agent and notaire.

I received an offer from a buyer so we therefore emailed the notaire with details of the buyer and sellers. We heard nothing in over a week. So therefore we sent a letter.

We waited another week and heard nothing.

I have a friend who speaks good french and asked her to call for me. They told her they have had no correspondence from us and would pass her through to the lady who deals with the compromis. Unfortunately she was busy. She said she would ring back and hasnt done.

I cannot ask my friend to keep calling as she has some SERIOUS health issues and is ungoing some nasty treatment. Our french is not good enough to get by on the phone.

We both work and it is becoming difficult and im sure even more once we need to organise the lead checks, saffar and termite check etc..

so now i feel we need to go down the route of some aid from elsewhere.

Hope this is more clear

Thanks
Bex
Old Apr 26th 2008, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

elaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really niceelaines is just really nice

Hiya sorry,
Not explained myself very well.

We are in the UK

We bought the house 5 years ago through an estate agent and last year bought a plot of land. For both purchases we used the same agent and notaire.

I received an offer from a buyer so we therefore emailed the notaire with details of the buyer and sellers. We heard nothing in over a week. So therefore we sent a letter.

We waited another week and heard nothing.

I have a friend who speaks good french and asked her to call for me. They told her they have had no correspondence from us and would pass her through to the lady who deals with the compromis. Unfortunately she was busy. She said she would ring back and hasnt done.

I cannot ask my friend to keep calling as she has some SERIOUS health issues and is ungoing some nasty treatment. Our french is not good enough to get by on the phone.

We both work and it is becoming difficult and im sure even more once we need to organise the lead checks, saffar and termite check etc..

so now i feel we need to go down the route of some aid from elsewhere.

Hope this is more clear

Thanks
Bex
Hi

We recently sold our house privately and we used Tony Wilkin, a bi-lingual UK based solicitor who liaised most effectively with the notaire and the buyers on our behalf.

Anthony D. Wilkin
Solicitor - French Property consultant
First Floor, 11 Silver Street, Trowbridge, Wilts, BA14 8AA
phone: 01225 765526
fax: 01225 765531
email: [email protected]

Tony Wilkin has for the past 15 years, been offering legal advice to anyone who wishes to buy or sell property in France. He advises on all legal matters relating to purchases or sales,specifically advice on the Compromis de vente(prelimiary contract.); Acte de Vente (final contract); inheritance matters and joint ownership.

He is also able to assist in the setting up of a French property company. Tony works with estate agents and notaires throughout France and will assist in negotiating the purchase price and terms of purchase.

I suggest you give him a call to see if he can help you.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Elaine, ive sent an email to them.
Bex
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
We have found a buyer for our french home without the help of an estate agent.

We are having a right time trying to get hold of the notaire to start the ball rolling...."compromis de vente" needs drawing up...we have emailed and wrote and still not had a reply!

Has anyone had any experience of selling without an agent? If so was it easy?

Thanks
The thought occurred to me that the Notaire must see the ORIGINAL of the Acte de Propriété before he can draw up the Compromis de Vente. I think you'll have to resign yourself to coming over for the initial appointment to show it to him and then come back again for the final signing/paying ceremony. The fact that you used his services beforehand doesn't make any difference - you could have sold the property via another Notaire, or your matrimonial status might have changed, meanwhile. If it's anything like the Notaire in my nearest town, you may have to wait some time for an appointment, but there's no reason why he should delay proceedings once he's satisfied that the property is yours. (Check with the secretary which justificatifs you must present!).