Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

selling a house in france

selling a house in france

Old Sep 20th 2007, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all
Default Re: selling a house in france

Hello Annabella, We are not yet in France. We have just come back from a visit which is why we were in Fabrezan. Although the beach was lovely I did not think I could live in any of the villages we visited or, indeed, Fabrezan. Not enough greenery I think. It is very dry down in the south and a bit unpopulated. I know what I am like and I need lots of interesting things to do and don't want to be too isolated. Trouble is I want everything We are going to visit the aquitaine next ..... trouble is it is such a big area, but we will choose somewhere within 30 to 40 mins of the sea to see what it is like. For me it is the sea, flea markets, historic houses (and France has plenty of them) and people to talk to, nice big garden and nice countryside).

A couple of people on this forum live around there; Theziers etc (I think I have spelled that name wrongly) and seem to be very happy. Val lives further up the coast and loves it. I am looking for warmer weather so would prefer to be a bit further south thus La Rochelle and downwards I think.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:28 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by artemis
Hello Annabella, We are not yet in France. We have just come back from a visit which is why we were in Fabrezan. Although the beach was lovely I did not think I could live in any of the villages we visited or, indeed, Fabrezan. Not enough greenery I think. It is very dry down in the south and a bit unpopulated. I know what I am like and I need lots of interesting things to do and don't want to be too isolated. Trouble is I want everything We are going to visit the aquitaine next ..... trouble is it is such a big area, but we will choose somewhere within 30 to 40 mins of the sea to see what it is like. For me it is the sea, flea markets, historic houses (and France has plenty of them) and people to talk to, nice big garden and nice countryside).

A couple of people on this forum live around there; Theziers etc (I think I have spelled that name wrongly) and seem to be very happy. Val lives further up the coast and loves it. I am looking for warmer weather so would prefer to be a bit further south thus La Rochelle and downwards I think.
When you find the sea, the flea markets and the historic houses in a nice warm sunny area of France, for a very reasonable price, then please let me know. Sounds idyllic. The house I have just sold in Normandy is 17th century. I had a wonderful 30 years there. When you live in such a house it makes its mark. By the way have you given Brittany any thought? Finistere is magnificent. Wild, rocky gorgeous coastlines. However, touristy in the summer and prone to rain. Southern Brittany too has its charm. I see too, from a posting today, that there has been some damage done - and some quite nasty stuff - to houses owned by Brits. there. In one case their house caught fire in early morning while they were in it and with a small child! Would need to be gone into.
All the best,
a
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

By the way have you given Brittany any thought? Finistere is magnificent. Wild, rocky gorgeous coastlines. However, touristy in the summer and prone to rain. Southern Brittany too has its charm. I see too, from a posting today, that there has been some damage done - and some quite nasty stuff - to houses owned by Brits. there. In one case their house caught fire in early morning while they were in it and with a small child! Would need to be gone into.
All the best,
a[/QUOTE]

I'm off to Brest on Wednesday so will let you know what it's like
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by val50
By the way have you given Brittany any thought? Finistere is magnificent. Wild, rocky gorgeous coastlines. However, touristy in the summer and prone to rain. Southern Brittany too has its charm. I see too, from a posting today, that there has been some damage done - and some quite nasty stuff - to houses owned by Brits. there. In one case their house caught fire in early morning while they were in it and with a small child! Would need to be gone into.
All the best,
a
I'm off to Brest on Wednesday so will let you know what it's like[/QUOTE]
We had a cottage there for some years on the Presqu'Ile de Crozon, near Camaret, out on that finger of land north-west of Finistère. The coastline is magnificent. Good food particularly shellfish, good cider both apple and pear, good Calvados and good butter. And when you think of cooking with all that then it has to be good! Oh, I forgot the crepes! Have a wonderful time!
Old Sep 29th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Sounds like you were happy there Annabella. Val I hope you enjoy your visit. I am beginning to think I still need to do a lot of research and need more time than just a week in France to do it in. I'll have to think about a way around this. I still hope that there is somewhere (a little haven perhaps) where my family and I could settle. I am certain that there is one (not too near a hunt though tee hee)
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you were happy there Annabella. Val I hope you enjoy your visit. I am beginning to think I still need to do a lot of research and need more time than just a week in France to do it in. I'll have to think about a way around this. I still hope that there is somewhere (a little haven perhaps) where my family and I could settle. I am certain that there is one (not too near a hunt though tee hee)
Just got bumped off our flight with Air Canada, who have now said they can only get us on another one Monday night:curse:
Still hope to get to Brest by Wednesday though.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Val, how annoying for you ..... hope situation improves.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:21 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Just got bumped off our flight with Air Canada, who have now said they can only get us on another one Monday night:curse:
Still hope to get to Brest by Wednesday though.
Charge them for the hotels etc.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Charge them for the hotels etc.
I wish. They say because our flight originated in Halifax (although it's the return portion of the ticket) they don't have to give us anything. They did offer a voucher for 150 GBP as compensation if we fly Air Canada again
Up early trying to sort out the mess. Will start to get cabin fever if I don't get out of here soon
Old Sep 29th 2007, 11:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I wish. They say because our flight originated in Halifax (although it's the return portion of the ticket) they don't have to give us anything. They did offer a voucher for 150 GBP as compensation if we fly Air Canada again
Up early trying to sort out the mess. Will start to get cabin fever if I don't get out of here soon
I think I would pursue it, as they breached the contract half way through if it was on the return journey leaving you stranded.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

I wasn't too happy there. It's a long story. I do appreciate though what a beautiful country it is and what it has to offer. I think anybody who has lived in Europe for any length of time comes to appreciate it much more from this side of the Atlantic.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by annabella
I wasn't too happy there. It's a long story. I do appreciate though what a beautiful country it is and what it has to offer. I think anybody who has lived in Europe for any length of time comes to appreciate it much more from this side of the Atlantic.
Couldn't agree more - especially when you are stranded at the airport and can't get home
Seriously, times like this you realise how easy it is to get around Europe and how much freedom you have living there.
Keep fingers crossed we get on the flight tomorrow night and can be back home by Monday
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Couldn't agree more - especially when you are stranded at the airport and can't get home
Seriously, times like this you realise how easy it is to get around Europe and how much freedom you have living there.
Keep fingers crossed we get on the flight tomorrow night and can be back home by Monday
Yes, I agree. I had a very bad time with Air Canada on one trip - we left something like four hours late from Heathrow and I missed my connection at Vancouver to travel up north of BC. Had to get my luggage out, stay in a hotel (they did pay) and do it all in reverse early the following morning. It was killing. I had started my trip from Normandy. I have never flown AC since.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Yes, I agree. I had a very bad time with Air Canada on one trip - we left something like four hours late from Heathrow and I missed my connection at Vancouver to travel up north of BC. Had to get my luggage out, stay in a hotel (they did pay) and do it all in reverse early the following morning. It was killing. I had started my trip from Normandy. I have never flown AC since.
Val,
We share the same birthday date. Just noticed that.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Val,
We share the same birthday date. Just noticed that.
All the good one's are Virgo's
You aren't a nurse as well are you - that would be too much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.