Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

selling french house to a friend?

selling french house to a friend?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Question selling french house to a friend?

Hi, i have a house over in france that i really want to sell as we are emigrating to Oz. i have contacted french immoblier and sent them the key 6 weeks ago but have not heard a thing from them. whenever i phone the person i want to speak to is out of the office and doesnt return my calls. The thing is i have a friend in England that is really interested and has made an offer. can i just sell it to him or does it have to be sold through an immoblier? I know that the laws have now changed but dont quite know what the rules are. please help! thanks
Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all
Default Re: selling french house to a friend?

Originally Posted by thebardies
Hi, i have a house over in france that i really want to sell as we are emigrating to Oz. i have contacted french immoblier and sent them the key 6 weeks ago but have not heard a thing from them. whenever i phone the person i want to speak to is out of the office and doesnt return my calls. The thing is i have a friend in England that is really interested and has made an offer. can i just sell it to him or does it have to be sold through an immoblier? I know that the laws have now changed but dont quite know what the rules are. please help! thanks
As far as I know, you have no obligation towards the estate agent. The only thing is, you will have to contact someone and ask them to return the key - you can explain that you are now selling your house privately - presumably you have nothing in writing from them from what you say? Do you even know if they have your key, did they acknowledge it? You don't have to speak to the same person, anyone in their office would do. Failing that, you could send them a registered letter in which you state you are making a private sale and asking for your key.
It is very usual for them NOT to return phone calls, I had this happen to me numerous times, when we were actually cash buyers and yet they did not seem to be interested at all, could not have care less, so much that you wondered whether they were in business at all!!! I'm sure you are better off selling to a friend: no agents fees for anyone for a start! But you will still have to go through a notaire here in France...
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Have you signed a contract with them?
If you have, you need to check if it's exclusive or not, if it's "contrat sans exclusivité", you can just sell it to anyone, otherwise, you might be stuck with them!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They are probably renting it out
Take it off the market and get your key back, then sell it yourself later.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

hi, thanks for all the replies. no we have not signed anything just received an email to say they have the key and thats it!! will goahead and sell it privately then. do i just contact the local notaire?