Self employed

Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Self employed

I cant believe it was 2009 I registered.

Finally it looks like our dream may be coming true. We found a property last week about 30 mins from St Antonin Noble Val. Just need our house sale here to go through.

I will be working for a uk company as self employed. I have contacted a company (Siddalls) for advice about seeting up a company and bank account in France and paying the taxes etc so hopefully will hear back from them soon with some help. And I have been recommended a company, FCD (Foreign Companies Direct), for the transfer for the sale. If anybody has good/bad experiences with these companies all info welcome.
Not really sure what to do about my weekly invoices, I guess they will need to be paid direct into the business account in France which means getting the poor bank rates.
Had a brilliant week property hunting, everyone (apart from someone in Cajarc) were really nice and helpful.

Anyway, just a catch up really with our good news, we cant wait.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self employed

hey that's great: St Antonin is lovely; we have canoed there often!
Cant help you at all but good luck with the move!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

There are some good guides here that give you info on setting up a self-employed business in France

http://www.french-property.com/guide...-Individuelle/

Also info on French banking

As I understand it, you need to be very careful which legal structure you choose as far as social security contributions and taxes are concerned.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Just looking at your employment issues; will you be paid in pounds or euros. If pounds then better to pay your NI in the uk, which will enable access to the carte vitale via an E101 (I think), then taxes in france. (a win win situation as NI is much mower in the uk and taxes generally in france) Failing that it might be easier to be paid through a french umbrella company if your uk employer allows it.
If euros then you need to think very carefully about the pros and cons of a business in france

Hope this helps
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Just looking at your employment issues; will you be paid in pounds or euros. If pounds then better to pay your NI in the uk, which will enable access to the carte vitale via an E101 (I think), then taxes in france. (a win win situation as NI is much mower in the uk and taxes generally in france) Failing that it might be easier to be paid through a french umbrella company if your uk employer allows it.
If euros then you need to think very carefully about the pros and cons of a business in france

Hope this helps
As far as I understand, it is not what currency you are paid in but WHERE you actually do the work. If the work is done in France then you need to be registered in France (either as self-employed or using an umbrella "portage" company). But if the work is done in the UK then you pay tax and NI in the UK and obtain the appropriate forms as dennerlymum says.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

this has had long note on before but the tax is DEFINITELY linked to residence not where you work; conversely the ni is usually wher you work
but there is a lot of ambiguity in all of it! Whilst my hubby was employed by a uk employer in france he paid NI in th uk and tax in france
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

deeppurple is an unknown quantity at this point

at all "costs", pardon the pun............ do not make yourself liable for French social security its crippling . I am no expert , but can tell you from experience, there is no "lower earnings limit" in france, as theres in the much fairer UK regime, in france you will automatically be charged the basic rate (when I worked it was circa 3,000 euros pa)if you make a profit or not ........... basically the French charge you for the privilege of being self employed from day one , be warned ,read the books, I did but didn't believe them !!!!!! and have paid a huge price in "useless" social security contributions amounting to thousands of euros .......
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:58 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deeppurple
at all "costs", pardon the pun............ do not make yourself liable for French social security its crippling . I am no expert , but can tell you from experience, there is no "lower earnings limit" in france, as theres in the much fairer UK regime, in france you will automatically be charged the basic rate (when I worked it was circa 3,000 euros pa)if you make a profit or not ........... basically the French charge you for the privilege of being self employed from day one , be warned ,read the books, I did but didn't believe them !!!!!! and have paid a huge price in "useless" social security contributions amounting to thousands of euros .......
Welcome to the Forum, When setting up a business or being employed one has to pay the Social Contributions it is part of integrating in to France. Establishing the viable'ness of ones enterprise and making sure you read between the lines in advance makes sure you will succeed in the future. Whilst there are some more complicated cases that mean someone still remains making contributions in the UK in the long term benefits of integrating into France it's not so beneficial. We have a number of members here that are self employed and the Social Contributions have not sunk their enterprises. Once again welcome to the Forum should you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:41 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deeppurple
You don't seem to have a good opinion of your time in France
You still there?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:29 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I will be working for a uk company as self employed.

Perhaps you can share how this employment sits. Do you have a contract? Are you an agent? What are the terms of your 'employment'? Paid in France? Paid in UK? Does the company have French connections already? If so, then you may get advice from them. Perhaps you need some professional advice (no slight intended to the good people on this forum) and perhaps you have to pay some cash to get it.
Your post displayed great excitement, which has to be good. Either way, good luck.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Hello again

I didn't seem to get emails about the replies to this so missed all these helpful comments.

Well, we move over in 3 weeks now. Initially renting on the aquitaine/midi pyrenees border until we find the ideal house nearer Cordes/Albi.

I am still none the wiser about how to set up a company etc. I think I have to go to the chamber of commerce for the region, hopefully they can help out.
I hadn't planned on paying uk NI we were just going to completely immerse ourselves in the French way. I guess that is something we could look at. I basically have 2 weeks to set up a company, I suppose I could start work and invoice without the company up and running. I am also hoping to find an English speaking solicitor who may be able to help.
I was under the impression as I will be spending all my time in France this is where I pay taxes and social etc.
I will be creating drawings by CAD, and be paid an hourly rate in £. I'll transfer the money over etc.
The guy we're renting off has been very helpful and been to the Marie for us etc, he's also an English so speaks excellent English, we're hoping he will teach us too.

Thanks for all the help. This is actually the only thing I am nervous about, it's giving me sleepless nights. Hopefully it will all sort itself out when we arrive.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
Well, we move over in 3 weeks now. Initially renting on the aquitaine/midi pyrenees border until we find the ideal house nearer Cordes/Albi.
Hi, if your initial residence is on the Aquitaine side of the border, you'll have to set up your business in that Région, and transfer it to the Région Midi-Pyrénées when you settle in Cordes/Albi (= extra paperwork and costs).
I would consult with an English-speaking Expert-Comptable before deciding what sort of company to create.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again

I didn't seem to get emails about the replies to this so missed all these helpful comments.

I am still none the wiser about how to set up a company etc. I think I have to go to the chamber of commerce for the region, hopefully they can help out.
I hadn't planned on paying uk NI we were just going to completely immerse ourselves in the French way. I guess that is something we could look at. I basically have 2 weeks to set up a company, I suppose I could start work and invoice without the company up and running. I am also hoping to find an English speaking solicitor who may be able to help.
I was under the impression as I will be spending all my time in France this is where I pay taxes and social etc.
I will be creating drawings by CAD, and be paid an hourly rate in £. I'll transfer the money over etc.
The guy we're renting off has been very helpful and been to the Marie for us etc, he's also an English so speaks excellent English, we're hoping he will teach us too.

Thanks for all the help. This is actually the only thing I am nervous about, it's giving me sleepless nights. Hopefully it will all sort itself out when we arrive.
I bit like myself........
Incidently, good property in and around Cordes tends to be sought after with price increases accordingly.
Prices in Albi too I've noticed have slightly risen since the cities Unesco classification as a World Heritage site a year ago. Not to mention the influx of additional visitors!
Nice area though, but rather chilly in the winter.
Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

missed out the key word......Teacher
Old Jun 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Hello again

If you need to bill your client in the UK straight away, then as a temporary measure you could consider using a "portage salariale" company like this one

http://www.freelanceinfrance.com/

There are a number of advantages, it will allow you to legally do the work in France, it will provide you with healthcare cover and get you into the social security system, and all of your admin will be handled for you while you find your feet. The drawback is that you will be paying an administration fee.

You can sign up for "portage salariale" for as long or as short a time as suits you. This can then give you time to do more research into the best business structure for you in France, as choosing the wrong one can be very costly and painful. Although the admin fee can seem quite high, the service does give you the protection of being a salaried employee for a time, and may work out cheaper in the long run - especially if you end up re-registering a business once you have found somewhere to live permanently.