Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice for a French move

Seeking advice for a French move

Old Jan 5th 2018, 9:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking advice for a French move

Originally Posted by Robert 4455
Hello Please can anyone help I have a property in France where my French Partner and son live I want to move there myself and become a dual British /French Citizen ,Ive been to the dept social security in Cahors France where they informed me of what I need including a S1 Form to become a French Citizen as above ie dual citizenship,I am british born and bred with a full British passport ,When I downloaded a UK Gov S1 form from the internet it was a form to become a British for a person from a stateless country which I dont want ,I went back to Cahors office and they told me this was not the correct S1 I need Apparently im to get one from Newcastle to become a French Citizen But they offer no further advice than that ,Please can anyone please help me im now at a loss regards where to contact Ive viewed all the UK Gov sites and seem to be of little help I want an address or phone number where I can speak to a live person to get the correct S1 form I need
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
ET has given an excellent reply to your confusion!
I would simply add that French Administrations aren't "partner-friendly" (see the relevant thread in the above Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs) and your partner should be aware that, if you mention her in a Will as heir to your French property, she'll have to pay 60% Taxe de Succession since you aren't legally bound. If you die intestate, your next-of-kin will inherit and she'll be legally homeless. If you are the father of her son, he would automatically inherit (together with any other children), but if you aren't, he'd also be considered unrelated to you and be homeless, too.
Without knowing your marital status and situation in the UK, it's usually recommended for "partners" to get married or PACSd, esp. where property is concerned - if this is out of the question for any reason, a Notaire could seek a solution in every parties' interests.
Hope this gives food for thought, fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Jan 5th 2018, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking advice for a French move

Good replies from both ET and DMU.
Would have preferred ET's reply to read, "If you are married the process should be slightly quicker easier."
I'm married to a lovely frog (don't take offence - she never does), and last year whilst at the prefecture asked a few questions for application for French citizenship. Nice lady & very helpful. Later downloaded the necessary documents required. Read through carefully and decided to put on the back-burner as it wasn't as straight forward as I imagined. But there again, what is straight forward in France regarding administration.......?