Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Second home in France

Second home in France

Old Oct 29th 2017, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second home in France

@ petitefrançaise - Ian who ????
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CorinnaM
One more question: if my husband and I would not work and would just be spending the winter in the South of France as many British retirees do, is there a problem with that? We are both a bit too young for official retirement, so it would be like an extended holiday so to speak.
I, too, have read this thread with interest and ET has given all the info necessary. No need to add to the conversation!
Whatever you yourself decide re your status in France, your OH would be considered on holiday in your holiday home and presumably get by with an EHIC for medical consultations/treatment. Be aware that he will pay upfront, collect the "Feuilles de Soins", and send them in for reimbursement when you've returned to the UK. AFAIK and I stand to be corrected, he'll be reimbursed what your average French person is reimbursed, i.e. about 70% of the costs (100% in the event of an emergency operation).
Just so he knows....
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:56 am
Just Joined

CorinnaM is an unknown quantity at this point

DMU, thanks for being constructive.

I am surprised people are getting upset about questions being asked on an internet forum (real and hypothetical ones) and feel the need to pass personal judgement about someone they know virtually nothing about...

That being said I am grateful for the constructive part of this thread and the information being given.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 11:52 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone is getting upset here.

I think everyone here has been very patient with you and tried to be as supportive as possible of you and your wish to spend time in France. FWIW, Eurotrash has almost definitely gone away taking time away from family and work and used their excellent french to search the internet for answers for you,then done their best to find you the same answers in English for you to understand it all.

Also, some empathy coming our way would be nice, everyone that has responded is either currently or at some point, had, their own business in France and pays the taxes and social charges that you are so keen to avoid.

Just a note of caution about practicing as a therapist in France, if there is a chance it might be a profession which is regulated then do get expert advice. I've no idea if a psychotherapist is a real medical qualification or not, but even so, be careful.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 12:40 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I've no idea if a psychotherapist is a real medical qualification or not, but even so, be careful.
A quick Google show that a UK trained person can't practice here under the title of Psychotherapist as the requirements to be on the French national register of psychotherapists differ from the UK.

As I understand it you can operate as a Counsellor just not put "Psychotherapist" on your door plaque letter head etc.

EAP: France

To register, the applicant must be
- medical doctor,
- psychologist (master degree)
- and/or psycho-analyst regularly registered in a psychoanalysis association directory.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 29th 2017 at 12:47 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 12:48 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
A quick Google show that a UK trained person can't practice here under the title of Psychotherapist as the requirements to be on the French national register of psychotherapists differ from the UK.

That's the sort of info that the OP is looking for.
But I'm a bit confused about the difference between Buddhist therapist and psychotherapist and why would the former be less problematic for the OP with respect to the powers-that-be, than the latter (cf her other thread).
Old Oct 29th 2017, 12:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

As I understand it you can operate as a Counsellor just not put "Psychotherapist" on your door plaque letter head etc.

That was interesting to read CS...
the title is protected but "whereas the practice is not regulated by French law"
so, I wonder, does that mean that by calling themselves something different ( I think the OP wrote Buddhist healer or something?) they can practice without registering and without any qualifications?

ca ne m'étonne pas!
Old Oct 29th 2017, 12:52 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by dmu
That's the sort of info that the OP is looking for.
But I'm a bit confused about the difference between Buddhist therapist and psychotherapist and why would the former be less problematic for the OP with respect to the powers-that-be, than the latter (cf her other thread).
SNAP!
I think we both posted at the same time..... great minds and all..