Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Sat Nav and Speed Camera

Sat Nav and Speed Camera

Old Jul 30th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice
Default Sat Nav and Speed Camera

We are going to France to look at property next week and hubby has downloaded the French maps for the sat nav. However, someone has now mentioned to us that sat nav that can identify speed cameras are illegal in France. Is this true?

Last edited by buzzz; Jul 30th 2008 at 6:50 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sat Nav and Speed Camera

Yes and No. My hubby has sat nav built into his car and it isn't sophistocated enough to show speed cameras. Last time I came back from the UK by car, my friend had her Dads sat nav (bought in France) in the car and it kept beeping when there was a speed camera and also when she was driving over the speed limit. This system is a portable one, cost I think 400 € so higher end of the market but really good all round. You could find your location by putting in a UK postcode and it had loads of different options. Maybe I'm easily impressed.
On the downside, the hire car got broken into on the carpark of the hotel in London probably because she had left the suction holder on the windscreen :curse: Caused a big delay but luckily the sat nav was in the hotel room...

So the answer is, depends how much you paid for your Sat Nav
Old Jul 30th 2008, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

buzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nicebuzzz is just really nice

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Yes and No. My hubby has sat nav built into his car and it isn't sophistocated enough to show speed cameras. Last time I came back from the UK by car, my friend had her Dads sat nav (bought in France) in the car and it kept beeping when there was a speed camera and also when she was driving over the speed limit. This system is a portable one, cost I think 400 € so higher end of the market but really good all round. You could find your location by putting in a UK postcode and it had loads of different options. Maybe I'm easily impressed.
On the downside, the hire car got broken into on the carpark of the hotel in London probably because she had left the suction holder on the windscreen :curse: Caused a big delay but luckily the sat nav was in the hotel room...

So the answer is, depends how much you paid for your Sat Nav
Thanks for replying. I just read my question and realised it made no sense at all. I have edited it now to actually ask what I need to know.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzzz
Thanks for replying. I just read my question and realised it made no sense at all. I have edited it now to actually ask what I need to know.
The french radio stations in Normandy broadcast where the speed traps are!
The permanent speed cameras are clearly marked just before you get to them too, and if you look on Viamichelin for your route, they also mark the speed cameras
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Yep gadgets that detect speed cameras in France are illegal and you will/can be fined if you are found using one. I know lots of Sat Nav systems have them in built but I guess there is a way to turn that function off...sorry no advice on how to do that though!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:33 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GillyG
Yep gadgets that detect speed cameras in France are illegal and you will/can be fined if you are found using one. I know lots of Sat Nav systems have them in built but I guess there is a way to turn that function off...sorry no advice on how to do that though!
And also loose the sat-nav,
Answer do-not speed in France. Trop chere
Old Jul 31st 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GillyG
I think you're possibly confusing two entirely separate things here.

Most Sat Navs have the ability to have speed camera maps downloaded to them. This is not illegal in France nor in the majority of the other EU countries. The only European country I personally know of where this is illegal is Switzerland where mere possession of such device, even if it's switched off and locked in the the boot, will, if it's discovered, result in a hefty fine and confiscation.

The other aspect is radar or speed camera detectors which actually attempt to alert you in real time to the presence of cameras by detecting the radar or laser beam. These are not built into any Sat Nav that I know but are available as accessories for some or indeed as stand alone units. These are illegal in France.

The legal speed camera database will be usually loaded as a POI (Points of Interest) and there will be a menu option to turn this ON or OFF.