Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

is it the same in France?

is it the same in France?

Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default is it the same in France?

Hi, I am a British National resident in Spain.A friend in New Zealand has a brother (expat Brit) resident in France & heard about how we,in Spain,are coping with getting our previous "residencia" changed over. Here it´s called "TIE" & will replace a green paper certificate that I have had for many years,for a new plastic card which states we are a national of a non-EU country & this time we have to have our fingerprint taken.I am curious to know if you have a similar ongoing situation.Would be pleased to have any comments.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it the same in France?

It's the same but different.
The same because all EU countries have been given the same EU directive that they have to follow and they will all issue the same "withdrawal agreement" residence cards based on the same criteria and giving the same rights
Different because France doesn't have TIEs and green cards like Spain does.
France has set up online portal that all Brits have to use to put in their applications, it is a simple process and it seems to be working well. Basically the system is that you apply online providing your details and attaching certain documents, then the application is sent to your local prefecture and once they have processed your application they send you an appointment to go in and have your fingerprints taken.
I guess every country has a different process but at the end of the day everyone who is entitled will end up with the same little plastic card.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

Each country's approach is listed in the European Commission's First joint report on the implementation of residence rights under part two of the withdrawal agreement. For France, the report reads:

France. UK nationals and their family members already living in France or wishing to move to France before 31 December 2020 will have to apply for WA residence documents via a website that will be opened as of 19 October 2020. A decree will be published by October 2020 to enact the relevant provisions of the WA. UK nationals and their family members will need to upload a scan of their passport as well as one or several additional documents depending on their situation. After filling out the administrative information and uploading documents, a certificate of application will be sent by e-mail. Once the file has been processed, an e-mail will be sent to the applicant in order to make an appointment at the prefecture to finalize the request (fingerprinting and photography). Finally, the residence document will be sent to home address. The process for the residence document application has been designed in order to avoid at the maximum the necessity to come to the prefecture, which will be helpful for elderly people, those residing far away or physically disabled. People who do not have an easy access to new technologies will find at their disposal computers in prefecture, with free access or with the help of a guide. UK nationals and their family members will have until 30 June 2021 to apply for their new residence status.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Really, it couldn't be made easier than that as long as the people at the Prefecture know what's what. If they don't, we just have to believe that whatever they say, it is the right thing to do.
French things have a way of verging or actually diving into farce, the genre of comedy the french people truly enjoy in every aspect of their lives.

Last edited by Nand; Oct 31st 2020 at 4:50 am. Reason: too many letters
Old Oct 31st 2020, 7:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Really, it couldn't be made easier than that as long as the people at the Prefecture know what's what. If they don't, we just have to believe that whatever they say, it is the right thing to do.
French things have a way of verging or actually diving into farce, the genre of comedy the french people truly enjoy in every aspect of their lives.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
Interesting! The word farce appeared in England sometime in the 14th century, interestingly enough adopted from middle French and not surprisingly associated with cooking (think 'stuffing' or 'forcemeat'). The comedy sense of the word however dates from the 16th century, apparently when England imported from France a sort of slapstick comedy that was popular at that time.
Relecting more on the word farce, makes me think of 'Harlequin', the name of which comes from a mischievous demon character, popular in French plays of the period.
Coming right up to date, and playing the devil's advocate for a moment, I would say it's farcical to pretend that the current lockdown will end around the beginning of Dec. Imho that date was given to lessen-the-blow, and looking at the hard facts of the alarmingly increasing infection rates, my non-farcical crystal ball suggests it will last longer. I suggest that those planning to travel during Dec may wish to think again.
On a much lighter note, with farce still in mind, those who may think that the French have little sense of humour need to check out some of Le Bebete Show or brilliant Les Guignols de L'Info videos on YTube. In fact I was just about to add a side-spitting link to a Les Guignols de L'Info video featuring Celine Dion, but then remembered that your husband was Canadian and if a fan, might take offence......

Other examples of great French humour can occasionally be seen in the for-sale ads on LBCoin, where one can find eye-catching (or rather eye-watering) descriptions for some articles on offer, either in intriguing attemps to lure a buyer, or by scam farceurs. Given a moment I'll give a few examples of such ads in the 'bad jokes' section of the forum.
Stay safe in these not-so-farcical times!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Oct 31st 2020 at 9:57 am.
Old Oct 31st 2020, 10:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Coming right up to date, and playing the devil's advocate for a moment, I would say it's farcical to pretend that the current lockdown will end around the beginning of Dec. Imho that date was given to lessen-the-blow, and looking at the hard facts of the alarmingly increasing infection rates, my non-farcical crystal ball suggests it will last longer. I suggest that those planning to travel during Dec may wish to think again.
Stay safe in these not-so-farcical times!
I quite agree, and am resigning myself to the idea of a family Christmas being a non-event this year. The chances of DD1 in Berlin and even me in the Hérault, meeting up chez DD2 in Lyon (assuming that she can return there herself), are decreasing....
But
Old Oct 31st 2020, 1:24 pm
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I quite agree, and am resigning myself to the idea of a family Christmas being a non-event this year. The chances of DD1 in Berlin and even me in the Hérault, meeting up chez DD2 in Lyon (assuming that she can return there herself), are decreasing....
But
It's a bit of a weak lockdown in any event. Many shops are allowed to be open and in some of the villages around France those shops that should be shut are opening with the blessing of the Maire. Whether the Police will crack down remains to be seen. Here in the Pays Basque, what was once a relatively free region coded green is now a nice bright red area thanks to all the holiday makers who descended during the last two weeks. When you have politicians making these silly decisions this pandemic will last forever!!