British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Riding a scooter in France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/riding-scooter-france-873177/)

ex pat Feb 24th 2016 12:14 am

Riding a scooter in France

Hello there,

I'm really glad that sites like this exists as there is so many different answers to the same question out there. I would like to know if I am able to buy and insure myself on a scooter in France. I have just passed my test and now hold a full UK license. Would I be able to get buy a scooter and get insured on it relatively easily? So many sites say different things I would love to get some definite answers from real people.

Thanks,

Ex pat wanna be :)

Shirtback Feb 24th 2016 2:34 am

Re: Riding a scooter in France

Yes. Maybe.

Scooter, in France, covers several definitions. Insurance would depend on multiple factors. Are you/will you be resident in France?

You'll need to give us a bit more info if you want us to help you ;).

JWL Feb 24th 2016 3:28 am

Originally Posted by ex pat (Post 11877404)
Hello there,

I'm really glad that sites like this exists as there is so many different answers to the same question out there. I would like to know if I am able to buy and insure myself on a scooter in France. I have just passed my test and now hold a full UK license. Would I be able to get buy a scooter and get insured on it relatively easily? So many sites say different things I would love to get some definite answers from real people.

Thanks,

Ex pat wanna be :)

So, presumably, this site will, as well...:lol:

dennerlymum Feb 24th 2016 5:56 pm

NO

as of two years ago you have to take an obligatory scooter test - a few theory lessons and a half day riding about

Tweedpipe Feb 24th 2016 5:56 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Here are the rules, which you may have some difficulties with. Suggest you therefore cut/paste to Google translate.
However the sooner you get to grips with the French language, the quicker you will integrate well here. (Apologies if you are already well up-to speed with the language).

ex pat Feb 24th 2016 9:52 pm

My parents have a house that I will be living at, but I can't produce utility bills because they are not in my name.

I am 25 and have just got a UK driving license and am driving my dads car as a third person so I don't have any no claims. I can't speak French very well but I have a friend out there who speaks fluent french that can help.

Because I don't speak French very well the theory exam might be difficult, I can't imagine them having it in English? the practical would trouble too.

I only intend to use it to get provisions from the nearest town which is about a 10-15 minute drive.

My friend was telling me about the 50cc old people cars that don't need taxing or insuring? maybe this was misinformation, seems too good to be true.

Thanks for your help. :)

dennerlymum Feb 25th 2016 6:17 am

there are sans permis cars - 50cc - but the cars themselves are very expensive for what they are and I have no idea what the insiurance is like but I imagine it is exensive. You will not be able to be a named driver on your parents insurance for this

there is no theory test for the 50cc scooter - you just have to attend lessons and the practical part is easy

the BSR costs around 200€ to do

dmu Feb 25th 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by ex pat (Post 11878515)
My parents have a house that I will be living at, but I can't produce utility bills because they are not in my name.

I am 25 and have just got a UK driving license and am driving my dads car as a third person so I don't have any no claims. I can't speak French very well but I have a friend out there who speaks fluent french that can help.

Because I don't speak French very well the theory exam might be difficult, I can't imagine them having it in English? the practical would trouble too.

I only intend to use it to get provisions from the nearest town which is about a 10-15 minute drive.

My friend was telling me about the 50cc old people cars that don't need taxing or insuring? maybe this was misinformation, seems too good to be true.

Thanks for your help. :)

Some younger people owning a "Sans Permis" might take umbrage at that!;)
Législation voiture sans permis, loi voitures sans permis - Aixam, constructeur voiturette sans permis
indicates what Permis is in fact needed to drive a "voiturette".
Conduire un scooter
gives info re riding a Mobylette scooter.
Both vehicles obviously have to be insured and, as DM says, must be expensive. The annual Road Tax ("Vignette") on cars was dropped years ago, I've no idea re "2-roues".
IMO you'd need something more stable than a Mobylette if you intend to transport heavy shopping...

dennerlymum Feb 25th 2016 6:52 am

insurance for a 50cc scooter is in fact very reasonable - 25 - 30€ a month

InVinoVeritas Feb 25th 2016 7:26 am

The rules changed a few years ago, so to summarise:-

For a scooter of less than 50cc you will need have a permis AM (this is because your 16th birthday was after 1st Jan 2004) - the cost of this is around €250. For a scooter between 50cc and 125cc you need to have a Permis A (motorbike licence, UK or French) which costs €700-€800 or have held a permis B (Car licence, UK or French) for more than 2 years and also do a 7 hour course (costs between €250 and €350).

A voiture sans permis (which is not just for old people) falls under the 50cc to 125cc rules even though the engine is usually around 500c (but it is limited to a 45kph top speed).

One way or another, I'm afraid you're stuck with doing some kind of course in France.

For those born before 1st January 1988 or who obtained their permis B before 19th January 2013 or who have had a permis B for more than 2 years and insured a motorbike for 5 years or more before 1st January 2011, then different rules (less onerous) apply.

Don't you just love the simple life in France?!?

ex pat Feb 26th 2016 3:40 pm

I'm going to have to sharpen up on my french then. I have a full UK license so does that mean I don't need a permis AM which is around 250 euros? But i need to pass the BSR which is around 200 euros and consists of no theory test, but lessons and the practical test? thanks :)

InVinoVeritas Feb 26th 2016 8:29 pm

The AM has replaced the BSR and, yes, my understanding of the rules is that you will need this to do get this. I believe you are allowed to bring an interpreter but I'm not sure how this works.

Tweedpipe Feb 27th 2016 6:25 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11880611)
The AM has replaced the BSR and, yes, my understanding of the rules is that you will need this to do get this. I believe you are allowed to bring an interpreter but I'm not sure how this works.

IVV, this was interesting to read, although I have a few doubts whether the official rules do allow for an accompanying interpreter. Can anyone confirm one way or another?
My doubts are based on the very informative video clip (link below) which I've just watched. During the in-class lessons, logically the presence of an interpreter is possible, but imho would be disruptive to the other students, unless there was an option for the non French-speaking candidate to have private tuition in a classroom together with an interpreter.
For the practical lessons, I see that the tutor and candidate are in direct radio contact, and again it's feasible for an interpreter to be present in the vehicle also 'wired' for contact, although this would introduce a delay in transmitted instructions - potentially a safety hazard. If the interpreter was in the employment of the CER/CISR, he/she would be legally covered, a friend or other third party interpreter surely would not. However I could be wrong.
Further comments from those in the know would be interesting.

Im_and_Er Feb 28th 2016 12:14 pm

I bought a 125cc scooter a couple of years back and because I have A1 on my French licence (carried over from my old UK one) it was a simple case of insuring it and riding it away.