Reload this Page >

Residency Status

Residency Status

Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Ed Dawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Residency Status

Hello all,

I've recently moved to France and just wonder what I need to do (back in the UK?) in order to gain non tax status in the UK? I plan to stay here now and feel I should become fully tax pledged (if you like) in France?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:28 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Status

Originally Posted by Ed Dawson
Hello all,

I've recently moved to France and just wonder what I need to do (back in the UK?) in order to gain non tax status in the UK? I plan to stay here now and feel I should become fully tax pledged (if you like) in France?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Maybe you'd do better to put this in the France forum?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency Status

I filled in a P85 before I left, but I don't believe it makes any difference if you fill it in now and send it to them. I also followed up with a call to make sure they got it, and yet despite this they tried sending me a tax return for 2009. Fortunately they apologised for their mistake in writing and told me I'm not due anything. I even got tax back (from over payment) last year.
You'll still get taxed on any interest you have with savings in UK banks, but there are forms you can send to the bank (forget the form number now, and not all banks accept it), or you can claim it back from HMRC I think, so that you're not double taxed.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf