Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Residency in France

Residency in France

Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency in France

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I wasn't thinking so much from the point of tax residency, or the convenience of having a UK address. My thought was with regard to the motorhome insurance. I was suggesting that Peter checks the policy small print to make sure there is no limit to the time it can be used outside the UK (Peter subsequently said he intended to do this) .
UK insurers can't limit the time you can drive your vehicle outside the UK - EU law doesn't allow them to do this! They can limit the time they provide comprehensive cover as opposed to legal minimum cover, and I think this is a factor that most people who regularly go abroad take into account when they decide which policy to choose, isn't it? but yes, if you're not sure then you certainly need double check before you set off.

Originally Posted by Peter219
Is the social charge based on income? assets? property value?
Purely on overseas income, and only income from certain sources, and only if your healthcare is directly funded by France (ie if you don't have an S1 and you join the state system rather than taking out private health insurance). If applicable I think it's charged from the first € and it's around 8%. I don't know if it would apply to your pension or not.

EDIT - thinking about the social charges, I'm not sure that's all quite right, but you'll have got the gist - it's complicated so you'd need to look into it in detail.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Mar 14th 2016 at 6:37 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Peter219 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Purely on overseas income, and only income from certain sources, and only if your healthcare is directly funded by France (ie if you don't have an S1 and you join the state system rather than taking out private health insurance). If applicable I think it's charged from the first € and it's around 8%. I don't know if it would apply to your pension or not."

Thanks for input. Hopefully there is another forum member in receipt of an NHS pension who would know about this point. What is the the French translation of the 'social charge' we are discussing?
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

"Purely on overseas income, and only income from certain sources, and only if your healthcare is directly funded by France (ie if you don't have an S1 and you join the state system rather than taking out private health insurance). If applicable I think it's charged from the first € and it's around 8%. I don't know if it would apply to your pension or not."

Thanks for input. Hopefully there is another forum member in receipt of an NHS pension who would know about this point. What is the the French translation of the 'social charge' we are discussing?
As other posters have said, your NHS pension remains taxed in UK as it's classed as a government pension and is specifically excluded from the DTT.
INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities As you can see, If Capita pay your NHS pension then it is likely classed as a NON government pension and you can apply to have it paid tax free AFTER having been non UK resident for one complete tax year.
Here's the DTT document - Find France under F.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...with-uk-income
It really comes down to residency as per the good advice given by other posters. Travelling around in a motorhome full time just adds a complication to the mix.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 7:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

What is the the French translation of the 'social charge' we are discussing?
I believe it's the CSG (Contributions Sociales Généralisées) which is half-tax, half-social charge.
We're retired (on French Pensions) and the Fisc (Tax Office) sends us our CSG due once a year.

P.S. I forgot that you were intending to live in a motorhome. As mentioned, this might raise problems justifying your "residence" in France.

Last edited by dmu; Mar 14th 2016 at 7:53 am.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
P.S. I forgot that you were intending to live in a motorhome. As mentioned, this might raise problems justifying your "residence" in France.
I don't think he's planning on living in it forever, DMU! Just while he finds his house to buy. Which in fact is exactly what I did, except I didn't sell up in the UK first.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Peter219 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quiltman
As other posters have said, your NHS pension remains taxed in UK as it's classed as a government pension and is specifically excluded from the DTT.
INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities As you can see, If Capita pay your NHS pension then it is likely classed as a NON government pension and you can apply to have it paid tax free AFTER having been non UK resident for one complete tax year.
Here's the DTT document - Find France under F.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...with-uk-income
It really comes down to residency as per the good advice given by other posters. Travelling around in a motorhome full time just adds a complication to the mix.
Thanks...I have muddied the waters a bit by talking about living in the motorhome whilst we explore France and look at houses, (as Eurotrash did).

The links are very helpful and it looks as if both the NHS pension , and the state pension (which I will get at age 67,) will have full relief, i.e. as I understand it, will not be taxed in the UK when we are French resident.

Which leads to the next question...what are current rates of French income tax?
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I don't think he's planning on living in it forever, DMU! Just while he finds his house to buy. Which in fact is exactly what I did, except I didn't sell up in the UK first.
What I meant was that the OP can't justify residence from day 1, only after he has bought a house and set up the Utilities which is when the 3 months will start. So should he take out temporary private healthcare coverage at the beginning? or simply use the EHIC as though they're tourists?
Old Mar 14th 2016, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
What I meant was that the OP can't justify residence from day 1, only after he has bought a house and set up the Utilities which is when the 3 months will start. So should he take out temporary private healthcare coverage at the beginning? or simply use the EHIC as though they're tourists?
But we discussed this didn't we. He would not be resident from day 1 of arriving in his motorhome. He wouldn't fulfil ANY of the French criteria for residence and he wouldn't fulfil the UK criteria for being a leaver. He would still be a UK resident, visiting France with a view to probably moving there permanently in the near future. So he can use his EHIC.
Do keep up DMU, or we'll expect you to read the entire link on UK residency and ask you questions on it tomorrow
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Do keep up DMU, or we'll expect you to read the entire link on UK residency and ask you questions on it tomorrow

Don't subject me to such torture, pleeeeez!
I'd rather translate the PUMA Law....
Old Mar 14th 2016, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
I'd rather translate the PUMA Law....
Off you go then
Old Mar 16th 2016, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

A point worth bearing in mind is that a Government pension being taxable in the UK is not the same as being taxed ]in the UK.
£10,000 UK Government pension- UK personal allowance is 10,600 - taxable element £0 therefore no tax to pay in the UK.
UK Government pension 11000 - personal allowance 10,600 - taxable element 400 @ 20 percent = £80.
UK State pension is taxable in France - say £7k times 1.3 = €9,100. France zero rate up tp €9,600 again no tax to pay
In theory, the Government pensioner should ask that their tax free allowance in France or elsewhere in Europe is reduced by an equivalent amount to the income in the UK, but I rather suspect few do.
Kudos to all who do insist on paying.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

We will budget using a 'worst case' exchange rate scenario (outlook should become clearer for the medium term after the brexit vote in June.) ((might be interesting to have a straw poll of worst case guesses...I will start the betting at GBP:Eur 1:1.1.......))
Just to get back on this point. I am in the position of buying a flat just after the UK announced BREXIT and the pound has fallen significantly in the past five weeks. I have found a FX trader recommended to me who will buy Euros if the pound falls to a threshold somewhere above where affording the flat could get difficult.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yikes, is your income still in £££ then?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, is your income still in £££ then?
My income is in Euro, my capital is £ :-(
Old Mar 19th 2016, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
My income is in Euro, my capital is £ :-(

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.