Research

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

davidhaldane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Research

Hi from a newcomer.
First I must ask for your forgiveness as I am neither an expat or a potential expat, I am deeply entrenched in Cheshire and am far to old and lazy to consider relocation to anywhere except perhaps the nearest pub.
I have joined with the purpose of finding out more about the Dordogne and surrounding areas. This is for a book that I am currently working on and although I appreciate that I am going to have to visit the area to complete my research, I am hoping that the expats on the site may be willing to provide me with enough information to enable me to complete a first draft.
The book is to be a work of fiction with the Dordogne as an important part of the story, both in the present and the past (1943 in particular) - Jacque Poirier's book 'The Giraffe has a Long Neck' and Max Hasting's ‘Das Reich’ have been an invaluable source of information for the period covering the war years.
I should like to stress that I am not looking for free accommodation or a free guide when I get there; I like to do things in my own way and take my time.
My reason for the enquiries in advance is that I am partially disabled (walk with a stick and a certain amount of difficulty) so I am keen to make sure that, when I get there, I am clear about what it is that I want to see and do.
I must also confess, that I am not at all happy about the prospect of driving on the right and because of my disability public transport is not really an option.
My daughter has agreed that for my visit to complete my research, she will desert the office, and the boyfriend, for a short time, and accompany me.
I am, of course, looking primarily for the sights, sounds and scents of the Dordogne in early Autumn – and some more besides - and I should be very grateful to any of the expats from the area kind enough to answer some questions for me as the book progresses.
Thank you - David,
[email protected]
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:54 am
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Research

Originally Posted by davidhaldane
Hi from a newcomer.
First I must ask for your forgiveness as I am neither an expat or a potential expat, I am deeply entrenched in Cheshire and am far to old and lazy to consider relocation to anywhere except perhaps the nearest pub.
I have joined with the purpose of finding out more about the Dordogne and surrounding areas. This is for a book that I am currently working on and although I appreciate that I am going to have to visit the area to complete my research, I am hoping that the expats on the site may be willing to provide me with enough information to enable me to complete a first draft.
The book is to be a work of fiction with the Dordogne as an important part of the story, both in the present and the past (1943 in particular) - Jacque Poirier's book 'The Giraffe has a Long Neck' and Max Hasting's ‘Das Reich’ have been an invaluable source of information for the period covering the war years.
I should like to stress that I am not looking for free accommodation or a free guide when I get there; I like to do things in my own way and take my time.
My reason for the enquiries in advance is that I am partially disabled (walk with a stick and a certain amount of difficulty) so I am keen to make sure that, when I get there, I am clear about what it is that I want to see and do.
I must also confess, that I am not at all happy about the prospect of driving on the right and because of my disability public transport is not really an option.
My daughter has agreed that for my visit to complete my research, she will desert the office, and the boyfriend, for a short time, and accompany me.
I am, of course, looking primarily for the sights, sounds and scents of the Dordogne in early Autumn – and some more besides - and I should be very grateful to any of the expats from the area kind enough to answer some questions for me as the book progresses.
Thank you - David,
[email protected]

Hi
You should be flooded out by emails now,the South is full of brits and there are some in the north. Enjoy you visit and keep us imformed.
You never know it could mean sales.