Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Renting in France: how do you do it?

Renting in France: how do you do it?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

wwide traveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in France: how do you do it?

Hello,

I am trying to get some tips about renting in France where I have moved in Summer 2007. Agencies or landlords are always asking tax assesments and payslips, which I do not have I am self employed for the last three years. I was working in the Middle East for 2 years, (can work anywhere cause using Internet + Telephone), and basically do not have the whole lot of "justificatifs" or proofs of income that are needed in France. And you know that is illegal in France for a landlord or an agency to ask for your bank statements as proof of income.

Has anybody landed in France in this situation? I am trying to find a flat in the Parisian area, either central Paris or in the suburbs (Val d'Oise, Oise, Seine et Marne North, Yvelines) and I am looking for a reasonable price 800 to 1500 €/month.

I know about normal agencies and website pap.fr and the notaires.
Does anybody know about ways of finding either furnished or unfurnished accomodation and how to talk to agencies or landlords. I am not talking about the very expensive flats let by agencies that are specialized in renting out to corporate expats!

Any tips please, anything that worked would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by jdr; Apr 20th 2008 at 8:16 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Renting in France: how do you do it?

I was getting this from the agencies. I explained I had sold my house and had money to use and could pay a year in advance if they needed me to. This wasn't good enough, so I just found some local ads and rented privately.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:56 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

You could try a Notaire's office. We rented from there 3 months after arriving, with no pay slips or anything like it. We are in a small town and maybe rural communities are more relaxed!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look at elaines reply to "we are emigrating to France" Sorry I don't know how to link to it! She has given a very comprehensive reply including renting a property which should help you.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:11 am
Just Joined

wwide traveller is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much, for the various replies. And indeed Elaine's comments on the other thread were very helpful!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Collioure_Bee
I was getting this from the agencies. I explained I had sold my house and had money to use and could pay a year in advance if they needed me to. This wasn't good enough, so I just found some local ads and rented privately.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. After fruitless trips to various agencies in Montpellier, who would not look at me twice even though I had cash, a letter from my UK employer (I was doing research then), and I was offering to pay 1 year's rent in advance (illegal apparently), the only way I was able to find a flat to rent was to "go private" - scour the ads "de particulier a particulier" and find a propriétaire who trusted me enough. I was very lucky, but also astonished to discover that it is easier to buy than to rent in France - unless you have guarantors, who will themselves have to provide proof of their income. Most students are able to rent as their parents usually act as guarantors. In some cases, a bank will act as guarantor - my then bank (Crédit Agricole) was not a bit interested in doing that, even though they would know that I was solvent. The guarantors have to be French taxpayers - again, nobody is interested in any guarantee from outside France.

This happened 7 years ago, I don't know if things have become easier for prospective renters now.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

I only started out in February so no things haven't got easier.

I took what I could get, which luckily, has a view across the port of Collioure and out to sea, and up the Pyrennes at the back. Unluckily the landlady won't answer calls that I need a plumber and knows she owes me over 100 euros for the phone line being put in. I'll just have to wait until August when she comes for the next instalment of rent and give her the bills!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I only started out in February so no things haven't got easier.

I took what I could get, which luckily, has a view across the port of Collioure and out to sea, and up the Pyrennes at the back. Unluckily the landlady won't answer calls that I need a plumber and knows she owes me over 100 euros for the phone line being put in. I'll just have to wait until August when she comes for the next instalment of rent and give her the bills!
I think it's up to the tenant to pay the phone installation, being a contract between tenant and telephone company. What do you need the plumber for? If it's something really serious, the landlady is obliged to pay, so don't hesitate to present the bill, but be prepared to argue on the "necessity".
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

She told me there was a phone line when I viewed the flat. She then said she would pay for it to be installed so she is getting the bill.

The toilet doesn't flush anymore so it's bucket jobs and that's not hygenic, therefore that is necessary. Also, the plumbing to the washing machine doesn't work and as that was another of her promises "you have a washing machine" I think it's down to her.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

She told me there was a phone line when I viewed the flat. She then said she would pay for it to be installed so she is getting the bill.

The toilet doesn't flush anymore so it's bucket jobs and that's not hygenic, therefore that is necessary. Also, the plumbing to the washing machine doesn't work and as that was another of her promises "you have a washing machine" I think it's down to her.
Oh dear....
Yes, I agree, she must foot both bills, but get the plumber to give you a detailed bill, not simply "travaux sanitaires".
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers dmu.