Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Renting a flat: Britline as guarantors

Renting a flat: Britline as guarantors

Old Nov 12th 2018, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting a flat: Britline as guarantors

We want to rent an apartment and made an offer for the one we liked. As we are not tax-payers in France, so the agency asks for a guarantor.
We contacted Britline and they said that they are familiar with the problem and can be our guarantors.
So essentially we need to put 6-12 month rent on their account and that will be locked for the landlord in case we disappear without paying!
Britline said that the process takes 2-3 weeks. But one of the agencies warned that this can take up to 2-3 months.

I've seen a few posts on the website people using Britline, but haven't found references re timeline and using them as guarantors
Can anyone share the experience, please?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 7:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a flat: Britline as guarantors

Originally Posted by Magukat
We want to rent an apartment and made an offer for the one we liked. As we are not tax-payers in France, so the agency asks for a guarantor.
We contacted Britline and they said that they are familiar with the problem and can be our guarantors.
So essentially we need to put 6-12 month rent on their account and that will be locked for the landlord in case we disappear without paying!
Britline said that the process takes 2-3 weeks. But one of the agencies warned that this can take up to 2-3 months.

I've seen a few posts on the website people using Britline, but haven't found references re timeline and using them as guarantors
Can anyone share the experience, please?
Hi, I've no idea about timelines, but IMO the fact of not paying taxes in France doesn't come into it. They do ask for the previous year's Avis d'Impôts, but this is to indicate continuity, and French tenants are used to this... What counts for landlords is the proof of a regular monthly income into a French Bank Account (Pension, salary, ...). You said in an earlier thread that your partner will be commuting to the UK - he could arrange for his salary to be transferred regularly into his French Bank Account and show the landlord his payslips to justify regular employment, but if you aren't working, you yourself would have to arrange for a guarantor.
As I said earlier, France isn't "partner-friendly". As you are simply partners, you'll be "colocataires" and must both provide all the justifying documents and/or guarantors. Be aware that either of you will be liable to pay the full rent if either of you default (by separation/death). Make sure that you make arrangements (insurance) to protect the remaining partner...
You must also sort out your partner's employment status for his healthcare coverage, and, as a single person, your own compulsory healthcare coverage if you won't be working (as well as justify sufficient ressources, to satisfy residency conditions).
As suggested, life in France will be much simpler if you get married!!
P.S. Have just noted that you'll be working remotely. Wherever your clients are, you must set up a business structure in France. The good news is that you'd have healthcare coverage via your S.S. contributions....

Last edited by dmu; Nov 13th 2018 at 7:21 am.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

It may be too late if you've already made an offer with an agency, but personally I would have at least started out with investigating long term rental properties privately. Unless you are planning to locate to a fairly remote area, there are frequently appartments available long-term privately.
A rapid 15sec googling brought up many very pleasant furnished and unfurnished flats ranging from 450 - 1000+euros, one in particular specified it was on a renewable 12months lease (bail 12 mois renouvelable) for 890euros with a one time caution payment (caution/depot de guarantie) of 1650euros.
DMU rightly stated that life can be much easier bureaucratically-speaking in France for married couples, but imho it's a pretty drastic 'lifetime' step, particularly for a temporary move to France. But I guess this could be an easier decision for long-term partners rather than those together for a shorter time.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 3:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
It may be too late if you've already made an offer with an agency, but personally I would have at least started out with investigating long term rental properties privately. Unless you are planning to locate to a fairly remote area, there are frequently appartments available long-term privately.
A rapid 15sec googling brought up many very pleasant furnished and unfurnished flats ranging from 450 - 1000+euros, one in particular specified it was on a renewable 12months lease (bail 12 mois renouvelable) for 890euros with a one time caution payment (caution/depot de guarantie) of 1650euros.
DMU rightly stated that life can be much easier bureaucratically-speaking in France for married couples, but imho it's a pretty drastic 'lifetime' step, particularly for a temporary move to France. But I guess this could be an easier decision for long-term partners rather than those together for a shorter time.
LeBonCoin or PAP come up with private rentals where landlords might be less demanding....
I agree, only the couple know whether they can make the commitment, but, as I'm wont to say, Fore-warned is Fore-armed if they decide not to take the step!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the replies. I understand your points, but the flat is already chosen.
So all we need is to do the paperwork quickly thus was the question re your experience with Britline and the duration of the application
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I'm not sure if anyone who uses this forum has gone down this route, I don't recall it ever being mentioned because I didn't even know Britline offered this service.
I would get your application in as quickly possible, make sure you provide all the paperwork anyone can possibly need because it wastes time if they have to come back to you because your dossier is incomplete (the French do like complete dossiers), and then keep chasing everyone up.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Magukat
Thank you for the replies. I understand your points, but the flat is already chosen.
So all we need is to do the paperwork quickly thus was the question re your experience with Britline and the duration of the application
Do you mean that the Landlord/Agent has accepted your dossier despite the fact that no one has signed any Guarantor documents and you haven't produced other tax-related documents which are always asked for? In my family's experience, it's the potential tenant who produces the most solid financial dossier who is chosen, and there's usually a queue of candidates....
I'm still not sure why you need a guarantor if your partner and yourself are earning more than 3-4 times the rent between you, wherever your income is coming from. Or is it because you can't submit the Avis d'Imposition and Taxes d'Habitation/Foncière?
As ET says, this must be the first time that Britline has been mentioned on the forum as a Guarantor, and there isn't likely to be much response from any one having gone down that route. We can only give general info/advice on Renting and Guarantors, as per the thread in the FAQs above.
Hope everything works out well for you!
Old Nov 14th 2018, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

When we rented in Lyon, we used a local French bank as guarantor. The bank and the property agents sorted out the paperwork between themselves; we saw next to nothing of the process. We put aside money into an account for the bank to hold on to. This was the guarantee that was held for a few years.

We initially tried this process with HSBC France. The local branch said all the right things while doing nothing. We wasted months and eventually moved bank to restart the process elsewhere.

Be warned, until you have the countersigned lease paperwork, you are only a potential tenant regardless of what anyone might tell you. Good luck!

Last edited by graham.miln; Nov 14th 2018 at 2:23 pm. Reason: Grammar.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

A quick update: all the process went smoothly for us. Caution Bancaire with CA (Britline) was put as a condition in our rent contract.
Took approx. 2.5 weeks from first contacting BritLine till Caution Bancaire with them being finalized. (Just as Graham.miln said above we had to deposit(="lock)" with them the sum of money that is equal to the overall rent to be paid over the duration of the contract)
We've forwarded the confirmation to the real estate agency. By that time our contract was already due to start and so we were allowed to move in..
A lot of paperwork was involved but overall they are very prompt to response. As a "bonus" we have a joined french bank account with them now as well that I'm sure will be useful going forward.
We can't recommend enough very helpful customer service at BritLine . They do listen, answer all the questions and explain all the details of the process (all in English, that for us at this stage was important)
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent news and thanks for coming back with the update, it will be useful for others in your position.
Old Dec 3rd 2018, 7:18 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Excellent news and thanks for coming back with the update, it will be useful for others in your position.
+1