Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French flag on poster

French flag on poster

Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Countryreverie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French flag on poster

Happy new year everyone ( as someone said " in these interesting times ").
I am about to advertise english conversation lessons and and I want to put a graphic of the crossed flags of our two nations. Are there any legal preclusions to displaying the french flag thus or , as importantly, would I upset anyone ?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French flag on poster

Originally Posted by Countryreverie
Happy new year everyone ( as someone said " in these interesting times ").
I am about to advertise english conversation lessons and and I want to put a graphic of the crossed flags of our two nations. Are there any legal preclusions to displaying the french flag thus or , as importantly, would I upset anyone ?
A quick google search didn't come up with anything pertinent, but French OH suspects that using the French flag might intimate that your work is "official", i.e. that you're accredited with the French Authorities. He suggests using Tower Bridge and the Eiffel Tower, for example, to avoid any risks of "upsetting" anyone...
On the other hand, if you discover that the French flag can be used on an ad, the crossed flags might already be a registered Trademark and you should do a TM search to make sure that you won't be sued for infringement!
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

You are going deeper there than I had imagined , and thank you for going there . I did a search myself before posting and was similarly unrewarded. I guess the TM angle might be an issue but I can't imagine that the union flag is TMable as it features on vast amounts of products. The tricolore may be another case entirely. It occured to me to enquire as we are always well advised (repeatedly !) to remember this is France not UK and I know some countries are more sensitive around their flag than others. I think I'll survey the neighbours but suspect that they won't necessarily be genned up on the law. Big ben and the Eiffel open up other avenues though.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 3:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You are going deeper there than I had imagined , and thank you for going there . I did a search myself before posting and was similarly unrewarded. I guess the TM angle might be an issue but I can't imagine that the union flag is TMable as it features on vast amounts of products. The tricolore may be another case entirely. It occured to me to enquire as we are always well advised (repeatedly !) to remember this is France not UK and I know some countries are more sensitive around their flag than others. I think I'll survey the neighbours but suspect that they won't necessarily be genned up on the law. Big ben and the Eiffel open up other avenues though.
Images of those two landmarks used in an advert for a business might also cause problems as they may well also be trademarked, or the right to use them might well be somewhat expensive and there may well be severe restrictions as to what they can be used for.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my !! Minefield. Top hat and a beret ? Bulldog and a poodle ? Any offers ? Just in case the lawyers frequent my local Carrefour.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my !! Minefield. Top hat and a beret ? Bulldog and a poodle ? Any offers ? Just in case the lawyers frequent my local Carrefour.
Or roving company spies...
How about city gent (bowler hat and umbrella) and French onion seller with beret and striped T-shirt?
Or if you're only offering English conversation, why not simply a British symbol (i.e. not a TM)?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest crossed flags with: a plate of snails and a plate of fish & chips.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

jsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond reputejsbach has a reputation beyond repute

I know things are different in France - but common sense is reasonably solid as a concept across Europe.

You're not starting a massive enterprise, a multinational company or a political movement.
My advice would be to go with crossed flags, partly because all the other suggestions don't work quite so succinctly and then to be terribly apologetic if anyone in authority has the time and inclination to drop a tonne of bricks on a micro-micro-micro enterprise.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 10:55 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsbach
I know things are different in France - but common sense is reasonably solid as a concept across Europe.
As a concept, yes, I would agree, but the implementation is often sadly lacking.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

I will be offering a bit more than tea and a chat but as I'm not trained as a teacher I'm loathe to mis-represent by calling it lessons per se. I've been trialling it with some village friends and it has been well received. I guess the flags is not the most original of images but I definately want to show some kind of fraternite. I've looked around more and still can't find any clear restrictions beyond the possible TH angle so I think I'll go with it. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I will be offering a bit more than tea and a chat but as I'm not trained as a teacher I'm loathe to mis-represent by calling it lessons per se. I've been trialling it with some village friends and it has been well received. I guess the flags is not the most original of images but I definately want to show some kind of fraternite. I've looked around more and still can't find any clear restrictions beyond the possible TH angle so I think I'll go with it. Thanks for the feedback.
How about hello and bonjour? Maybe on a red one and blue background?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

How about a symbol of Anglo French collaboration, say of Concorde?