Reload this Page >

Relocating to Montpellier with 2 year old

Relocating to Montpellier with 2 year old

Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

littlescamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Montpellier with 2 year old

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and have a few questions about relocation to Montpellier.
(Background first!) I've recently been made redundant from my job and with the money I got from work want to start a new life in France. I don't speak great French, but I heard that the French government offer French lessons to help integration, is this correct?
I don't have a job lined up just yet, and plan on living off my savings until I am settled. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on the best places for to live for families, as I don't want to be right in the city as I want to rent a house with a garden and have somewhere safe for my daughter to grow up in.
My daughter who is 2, also has Down Syndrome and I have done through research into this for France generally, but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for the services such as speech and language therapy in Montpellier.. I suspect for the services I will have to have easy access to the city, so need to find somewhere with good transport links.

My daughter does get Disability Living Allowance, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits, is there a similar system in France?

I was on a low income in London and was getting help with housing costs and would like to know if I would be able to get similar assistance in France?
I've looked on various websites, but can't seem to get any straight answers!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Montpellier with 2 year old

Originally Posted by littlescamp
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and have a few questions about relocation to Montpellier.
(Background first!) I've recently been made redundant from my job and with the money I got from work want to start a new life in France. I don't speak great French, but I heard that the French government offer French lessons to help integration, is this correct?
I don't have a job lined up just yet, and plan on living off my savings until I am settled. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on the best places for to live for families, as I don't want to be right in the city as I want to rent a house with a garden and have somewhere safe for my daughter to grow up in.
My daughter who is 2, also has Down Syndrome and I have done through research into this for France generally, but wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for the services such as speech and language therapy in Montpellier.. I suspect for the services I will have to have easy access to the city, so need to find somewhere with good transport links.

My daughter does get Disability Living Allowance, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits, is there a similar system in France?

I was on a low income in London and was getting help with housing costs and would like to know if I would be able to get similar assistance in France?
I've looked on various websites, but can't seem to get any straight answers!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi, I would really think this through carefully. Coming to France without a job to go to is precarious for a single person, let alone one with a child who has special needs.
I can't help with what UK allowances are transferred, but I'm sure you wouldn't get them all. Where would your child go while you are working? (assuming you find work, the unemployment rate in the Languedoc is above average). Public crêches have waiting lists... You wouldn't be able to rent anywhere without payslips to prove a regular income (money in the bank doesn't count for landlords). What about healthcare coverage for you both? The system isn't the same here as in the UK.
There are certainly Speech Therapists, but in French!
You could try googling "Downs Syndrome France".
From the financial point of view, you should have enough savings available to survive 1-2 years.
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but fore-warned is fore-armed and you should consider all these aspects, not to mention separating your daughter from the rest of her family.
P.S. Any particular reason for choosing Montpellier?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I would really think this through carefully. Coming to France without a job to go to is precarious for a single person, let alone one with a child who has special needs.
I can't help with what UK allowances are transferred, but I'm sure you wouldn't get them all. Where would your child go while you are working? (assuming you find work, the unemployment rate in the Languedoc is above average). Public crêches have waiting lists... You wouldn't be able to rent anywhere without payslips to prove a regular income (money in the bank doesn't count for landlords). What about healthcare coverage for you both? The system isn't the same here as in the UK.
There are certainly Speech Therapists, but in French!
You could try googling "Downs Syndrome France".
From the financial point of view, you should have enough savings available to survive 1-2 years.
Sorry to be so pessimistic, but fore-warned is fore-armed and you should consider all these aspects, not to mention separating your daughter from the rest of her family.
P.S. Any particular reason for choosing Montpellier?
Hi thanks for replying.
From the research I have done, France has a good inclusion system with schools, and from what I understand children can start school from 2 years old. I was planning on sending her to school while I go to work. The money I plan on moving with includes private healthcare and once I have a job will be able to maintain this.
My daughter can't speak anyway, so her learning French won't be a much of a problem. I have already spoken to her therapists in London and they agree it wont affect her ability to learn. Just takes longer.
We don't have any family, and it's just the two of us.
Montpellier as it's a great city, I've visited a few times years ago and really liked it, plus the weather is nice. I want us to be close to the Med.
I didn't realise about the payslips for renting. How many months worth do they need? As I could potentially stay in a b&b until I have enough payslips!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:55 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlescamp
Hi thanks for replying.
From the research I have done, France has a good inclusion system with schools, and from what I understand children can start school from 2 years old. I was planning on sending her to school while I go to work. The money I plan on moving with includes private healthcare and once I have a job will be able to maintain this.
My daughter can't speak anyway, so her learning French won't be a much of a problem. I have already spoken to her therapists in London and they agree it wont affect her ability to learn. Just takes longer.
We don't have any family, and it's just the two of us.
Montpellier as it's a great city, I've visited a few times years ago and really liked it, plus the weather is nice. I want us to be close to the Med.
I didn't realise about the payslips for renting. How many months worth do they need? As I could potentially stay in a b&b until I have enough payslips!
I've since found
http://www.trisomie21-france.org/
which should give you a lot of info. Click on "Associations Départementales", then "Hérault".
Maternelles accept children from the age of 2 if they have room and if the child is "clean".
In my experience, you have to show 3 on-going payslips which prove that you earn 3-4 times the rent.
I'm sorry to put a damper on your idea of living in a B&B at the beginning, but you have to face the risk of your child not being accepted.
Why not come over for an extended "holiday", to see what France can offer you? And actually living somewhere is nothing like visiting as a tourist! A tourist doesn't see the nitty-gritty of day-to-day living, all the bureaucracy involved... And with your child, there will be more bureaucracy to contend with than usual....
Good luck!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
I've since found
http://www.trisomie21-france.org/
which should give you a lot of info. Click on "Associations Départementales", then "Hérault".
Maternelles accept children from the age of 2 if they have room and if the child is "clean".
In my experience, you have to show 3 on-going payslips which prove that you earn 3-4 times the rent.
I'm sorry to put a damper on your idea of living in a B&B at the beginning, but you have to face the risk of your child not being accepted.
Why not come over for an extended "holiday", to see what France can offer you? And actually living somewhere is nothing like visiting as a tourist! A tourist doesn't see the nitty-gritty of day-to-day living, all the bureaucracy involved... And with your child, there will be more bureaucracy to contend with than usual....
Good luck!
Thank you! I like the idea of an extended holiday. That makes sense! I will do that and hopefully have a better idea!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to be another wet blanket, but I personally have been appalled at the LACK of inclusion of disabled children in France. Most parents of disabled kids end up giving up their jobs to care for children at home, or the child is farmed out to a school for 'handicapped' children in the middle of nowhere.

I have rarely seen disabled children out and about and never in an inclusive group. My children's schools barely understand and cope with dyslexia and other mild disabilities let alone downs.

I think you would find it very very hard to settle here. However if you really feel it is for you then come for a holiday first as DMU suggests.