Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Relocating a dog to France....

Relocating a dog to France....

Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

JanR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating a dog to France....

Has anyone relocated a dog to France?? How do animals travel on planes??
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:21 am
Banned

septimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant futureseptimus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Relocating a dog to France....

Originally Posted by JanR

DO they?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:41 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our cat on the ferry, where they spend the crossing locked in the car, very simple and not very dear.

I found this site by BA that gives useful advice on transporting pets by air -

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_gb

You should also check with DEFRA on vaccination requiements -

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

Last edited by Jazzy n Lol; Apr 9th 2008 at 11:27 am. Reason: I blame my keyboard...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

we bought 2 dogs and 3 cats with us when we moved to France, and there were no problems. Details on the French Embassy website are worth checking
http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article537
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

The Rustons will become famous soon enoughThe Rustons will become famous soon enough

When we relocate we will be bringing two dogs ! The info we have found all say they will need a EU Pet Passport, which means them getting mirochipped, vaccinated, rabies shot and certain blood tests. All this costs around the region of £200, so the info says. I would ask your local vet tho just to make sure.
We shall be doing the trip on a ferry, that way we can be with them for part of the trip, also they have done ferry crossings before.
Hope this helps
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

We recently relocated and sailed Cork to Roscoff and our dog (16 month old collie terrier cross from a rescue centre in Ireland) would recommend these kennels

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pe...-travel-scheme

We did the pet passport thing , micro chip and rabies.
No problems at all. Doggie was fine and we didn't sedate him.
Hope this helps. b.t.w. our dog isn't large but we booked a large size kennel so he'd have more room. Best to book early, not that many kennels available in the busy period.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

youngbull is an unknown quantity at this point

I also need to find out some information on Pricing for Pet Travel Schemes.

I think that flying would be best option for me as i'd be relocating to Nice. I've got prices for the pet passports but need an idea on transport pricing.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

We brought our border collie over exactly 4 years ago, she was 10 years old then. We travelled overnight on the ferry between Portsmouth and Caen, the dog stayed in our cattle trailer behind our old Landrover all the time (she is a "working" dog), of course she had her own compartment,(no cattle in the trailer, just farm equipment and kids bikes) she had a blanket, food and water - luxury for her as she has always lived outdoors!
As she was never going to return to the UK she only had to be chipped and had a check-up by the vet the day before we left the UK, so she didn't need to have a passport. Really can't remember the cost but I know we have a certificate as proof of chipping, we declared her at the port but they weren't really interested. Some friends brought a pony over, at the port the security people petted the pony but weren't interested when the papers were waved at them either.

She also loves living in France!