Reload this Page >

Registering my Nanny

Wikiposts

Registering my Nanny

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:29 am
Just Joined

scozesse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering my Nanny

Our nanny has recently obtained her official papers and now want's us to register her for French Social Security and Tax.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I go about it and give me an indication of the rates of social security and tax payments I would have to make.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:30 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering my Nanny

Originally Posted by scozesse
Our nanny has recently obtained her official papers and now want's us to register her for French Social Security and Tax.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how I go about it and give me an indication of the rates of social security and tax payments I would have to make.

Thanks in advance.
A lot depends on how many hours she works for you per week, whether she has other employment, etc... For the S.S. payments that you'll have to pay, contact your nearest URSSAF office - find it by going on the national URSSAF website or look in the Pages Jaunes. You'll need her Social Security No. for whatever steps you take with the URSSAF. If she hasn't got one yet, then she must contact her local CPAM office first, to get a number.
Employers normally have to pay about 50% of the employee's salary in S.S. contributions, so bear that in mind when you fix her salary (not less than the SMIC - official minimum wage).
You won't have to pay tax, as such. In fact, you declare her earnings on your annual Tax Declaration Form and will pay a little less tax the following year (this measure is to encourage people to declare their domestic employees and not employ them au noir).... She, of course, will have to declare her earnings and pay Income Tax on them the following year (Declaration Forms can be collected from the local Tax Office).
In short, your nanny must have a S.S. number and you must contact the URSSAF. The taxes can wait until next year.
Hope this is clear!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:57 am
Just Joined

sssplendid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
A lot depends on how many hours she works for you per week, whether she has other employment, etc... For the S.S. payments that you'll have to pay, contact your nearest URSSAF office - find it by going on the national URSSAF website or look in the Pages Jaunes. You'll need her Social Security No. for whatever steps you take with the URSSAF. If she hasn't got one yet, then she must contact her local CPAM office first, to get a number.
Employers normally have to pay about 50% of the employee's salary in S.S. contributions, so bear that in mind when you fix her salary (not less than the SMIC - official minimum wage).
You won't have to pay tax, as such. In fact, you declare her earnings on your annual Tax Declaration Form and will pay a little less tax the following year (this measure is to encourage people to declare their domestic employees and not employ them au noir).... She, of course, will have to declare her earnings and pay Income Tax on them the following year (Declaration Forms can be collected from the local Tax Office).
In short, your nanny must have a S.S. number and you must contact the URSSAF. The taxes can wait until next year.
Hope this is clear!
Hi!

I suppose that now you know that a nanny isn't registered that way! But for others who would need to know the right things to do, first of all be sure she has a "agrément" from the "Conseil général" and then go to the nearest CAF(caisse d'allocations familiales) and ask them, they'll explain you properly!You DON4T have to pay Taxes for emplying a nanny, the CAF pay them for you, as long as you don't pay her over 5hours SMIC/d.
Good luck for the next ones

sssplendid
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:39 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sssplendid
Hi!

I suppose that now you know that a nanny isn't registered that way! But for others who would need to know the right things to do, first of all be sure she has a "agrément" from the "Conseil général" and then go to the nearest CAF(caisse d'allocations familiales) and ask them, they'll explain you properly!You DON4T have to pay Taxes for emplying a nanny, the CAF pay them for you, as long as you don't pay her over 5hours SMIC/d.
Good luck for the next ones

sssplendid
Yes that may be but all of this is done through URSSAF The subject has been covered many times before. The Caf will give the Employer money for child care if they qualify for Subsidized childcare but the Employer still has to pay the Employees salary through URSSAF to be Legal and Above board.

Please feel free to contradict other informative Users but produce a good line of evidence or facts in areas that could affect people legally. Being how bureaucratic the French System is.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Yes that may be but all of this is done through URSSAF The subject has been covered many times before. The Caf will give the Employer money for child care if they qualify for Subsidized childcare but the Employer still has to pay the Employees salary through URSSAF to be Legal and Above board.

Please feel free to contradict other informative Users but produce a good line of evidence or facts in areas that could affect people legally. Being how bureaucratic the French System is.

I'm a french nanny !I suppose it may be a sufficient "good line of evidence"? Urssaf is contacted by the Caf through the system called 'la paje" which is our testimony of salary. Just wanted to help the parents who will next go through the whole stuff.i do it in my everyday life . Going straight to Urssaf won't help , they will be told to go to the "CAF"."They will be given a file to fill with a copy of the contract (with the nanny). Now the main question is : are we talking about nannies working at the parents's home or nannies working at their own homes and about these: there are independant nannies (like me ) or nannies paid by the "mairie" still at their home, but employed by a "crèche familiale"? There are a few differences. If you want me to give you details for each case, no problem. Just let me know. You can find as well these details on www.caf.fr Click on "prestations d'accueil du jeune enfant".

No offense meant in any case.
I just registered today (try to find people who had problems bying a house in France since i'm giving french language lessons on an other forum, and it is the subject of my next lesson, sorry if off topic for a few seconds!)and found out the everyday problems that i could help to sort out.
Always please to help , be sure!

sssplendid
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Oh Dear.... it's working ...at last!
Just registered today for a complete different reason than most of you. but i'll say why in another thread i'll start. Let's go back to the topic. The french nannies ("i"m a native by the way and have been a nanny for the last 20years!)are paid by the "caf" through the system called "la paje". You don't have to go to URSSAF , if you employ a nanny who will work for you at her home. Now nannies working at the parents' home (and it's awfully expensive!)is another job but i can give you all the details if you want me to.
In any case , you can have a look yourselves at www.caf.fr then click on "prestations d'accueil du jeune enfant".
Any question? i'll be delighted to help you!

sssplendid
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:47 am

Hi again!

Only the 4th time i try to give an answer and ... nothing!
To make it short: I'M A FRENCH NANNY!
Ready to give as many details as you want just wish i could stay login ... that's all!

sssplendid
Edited Now Mitzy has woken up..I reckon his blue underpants are cutting out his circulation.

Sorry I just wanted to see a more explained answer as it can be very complicated to people starting out here, I didn't mean to be Obtuse (Much) Despite the Forums name it is very nice to have a more localized view of how to get things done. And again Welcome to the forum.

Links and crap get cut out if your a new user to cut out the Spam and Corned Beef that we get personally I prefer Corned Beef as you can make nice patties with Creamed potatoes and puff pastry. With a bit of brown sauce it's loverly.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Mar 22nd 2009 at 6:01 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Dear.... it's working ...at last!
Just registered today for a complete different reason than most of you. but i'll say why in another thread i'll start. Let's go back to the topic. The french nannies ("i"m a native by the way and have been a nanny for the last 20years!)are paid by the "caf" through the system called "la paje". You don't have to go to URSSAF , if you employ a nanny who will work for you at her home. Now nannies working at the parents' home (and it's awfully expensive!)is another job but i can give you all the details if you want me to.
In any case , you can have a look yourselves at www.caf.fr then click on "prestations d'accueil du jeune enfant".
Any question? i'll be delighted to help you!

sssplendid
You are not allowed to post with a link in the post until you have 4 posts .... its to stop spammers. I have approved the posts now and deleted the duplicates
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:01 am
Just Joined

.... Very sorry indeed, must have been really boring to read the same posts over and over again. I had a look at the rules and didn't find anything about links....probably my sight ... getting old!But quite happy to see that it's working , i give you my word i won't send a link anymore! ... and hummm what about links in private messages? froggies!!! daft questions!

Nice to meet you anyway super mod!

sssplendid
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:02 am

.... Very sorry indeed, must have been really boring to read the same posts over and over again. I had a look at the rules and didn't find anything about links....probably my sight ... getting old!But quite happy to see that it's working , i give you my word i won't send a link anymore! ... and hummm what about links in private messages? froggies!!! daft questions!

Nice to meet you anyway super mod!

sssplendid
Link away now, along as there sensible ISH
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm a french nanny !I suppose it may be a sufficient "good line of evidence"? Urssaf is contacted by the Caf through the system called 'la paje" which is our testimony of salary. Just wanted to help the parents who will next go through the whole stuff.i do it in my everyday life . Going straight to Urssaf won't help , they will be told to go to the "CAF"."They will be given a file to fill with a copy of the contract (with the nanny). Now the main question is : are we talking about nannies working at the parents's home or nannies working at their own homes and about these: there are independant nannies (like me ) or nannies paid by the "mairie" still at their home, but employed by a "crèche familiale"? There are a few differences. If you want me to give you details for each case, no problem. Just let me know. You can find as well these details on www.caf.fr Click on "prestations d'accueil du jeune enfant".

No offense meant in any case.
I just registered today (try to find people who had problems bying a house in France since i'm giving french language lessons on an other forum, and it is the subject of my next lesson, sorry if off topic for a few seconds!)and found out the everyday problems that i could help to sort out.
Always please to help , be sure!

sssplendid

I also work in a family's home as a nanny and I can confirm that all my paperwork (registration, pay, tax etc.) goes through La Paje...best to contact them to fill you in fully.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:57 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The Paje is in fact a department within the URSSAF, so everyone is correct in that respect....
Can the OP give a French term instead of the vague title of "nanny"? Also specify what official papers the child-minder has recently obtained. My first thought was that she is a non-European and was a "sans papiers" without even a Social Security No., but maybe she has recently been accepted by the Conseil Général and no longer wants to work au noir? Not very clear from the original posting....
Some feedback from the OP might help