Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Quick question regarding UK/French driver's license

Quick question regarding UK/French driver's license

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick question regarding UK/French driver's license

Just a quick query. I don't have a car, but just occasionally take out a hire car with my British license. If you're a resident here beyond a certain time, is it compulsory to take a French driver's license or can you keep on using your British one?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question regarding UK/French driver's license

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Just a quick query. I don't have a car, but just occasionally take out a hire car with my British license. If you're a resident here beyond a certain time, is it compulsory to take a French driver's license or can you keep on using your British one?

Hi Gav
no, it's not compulsory anymore to exchange your licence

http://ukinfrance.fco.gov.uk/en/help...iving-licences
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Val!
Good to know.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

dont you have to convert it if you get points?
i heard that you need to get a french license to take on points as the french system can't put points on a uk license
Old Sep 28th 2009, 8:13 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beigey
i heard that you need to get a french license to take on points as the french system can't put points on a uk license
Thats a bit of a yes and no, The few people I know that have been forced to change licenses are HGV holders and people that are loosing their licenses. It kind of depends who is giving the points or removing them as in France, Your ok if its the Automated Speeding machines as the points removal is issued by a computer in paris but if a judge removes them then its an exchange of license.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beigey
Unfortunately I know the answer to this one. This year, at the grand old age of 53 I got my first ever speeding fine, here in France. I was doing 80km/h in a 70km/h area, so just got 1 point. I didn't have to change my licence. Apparently it's all done on some central European database now, so everyone knows I have a point on my licence. Oh, the shame!!

I'm sure one of our techie guys will let me know the web link to have a look at my hard earned point. I've never checked it! This is one of those times when points don't make prizes. "GROAN" Sorry couldn't resist.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

hornist is an unknown quantity at this point

Another related question while we are at it...

I'm currently living in France for a couple of years on assignment from work, and driving on my UK licence. I noticed the other day that my UK licence expires in June next year, 4 months before I am due to return to the UK (10 years will have elapsed since it was issued).

I'm not clear whether I will be able to renew my UK licence in June (I can have it forwarded on from the UK address to which I will be returning if that helps), or whether I will have to get a French licence just for the 4 months till I return to the UK.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Paul
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

tingtong10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hornist
Another related question while we are at it...

I'm currently living in France for a couple of years on assignment from work, and driving on my UK licence. I noticed the other day that my UK licence expires in June next year, 4 months before I am due to return to the UK (10 years will have elapsed since it was issued).

I'm not clear whether I will be able to renew my UK licence in June (I can have it forwarded on from the UK address to which I will be returning if that helps), or whether I will have to get a French licence just for the 4 months till I return to the UK.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Paul
yes, after my experience this week with the DVLC, you definatly have to be a resident of the UK,To replace,renew or whatever on your UK LICENSE.They will not deal with c/o addresses. You have to be resident in the UK, take my advice and tell them bugger all, I have lost my entitlement to drive HGV in UK and EUROPE, because of this,so have lost my right to work, having just been offered a job in Holland for 6 months. I live in Thailand,lost my plastic counter part,they will not replace,unless I am resident in the UK. I would rather have darts in my eyes, than go back there to live.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by tingtong10
yes, after my experience this week with the DVLC, you definatly have to be a resident of the UK,To replace,renew or whatever on your UK LICENSE.They will not deal with c/o addresses. You have to be resident in the UK, take my advice and tell them bugger all, I have lost my entitlement to drive HGV in UK and EUROPE, because of this,so have lost my right to work, having just been offered a job in Holland for 6 months. I live in Thailand,lost my plastic counter part,they will not replace,unless I am resident in the UK. I would rather have darts in my eyes, than go back there to live.
You don't tell them its a C/o Address, Its quite clear in all the paperwork. Because its not just being a resident. If for example you are a NFO person "No Fixed Abode" unlike Dole which can go C/o a Post Office DVLA applications will be refused.

The subject has come up here many times before and at least one member I know of has contacted DVLA by phone in advance and the DVLA employee dealing with it said refrain from telling us where you don't live just give us an Address in the UK to send it to. Its an ongoing issue within Europe.

But if for example you have a HGV license and you wish to work in France the law here requires you retake the French Heavy Goods Test. Professional and recreational driving are different ball parks and license interchangeability is different.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 6th 2010 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Apparently it's all done on some central European database now, so everyone knows I have a point on my licence. Oh, the shame!!

I'm sure one of our techie guys will let me know the web link to have a look at my hard earned point. I've never checked it! This is one of those times when points don't make prizes. "GROAN" Sorry couldn't resist.
There is no central European database of points gained or lost. What you may have heard is that there is an EU proposal in place to harmonise driving licences, offences, and penalties but you can imagine how long that is going to take to implement. The 10 year EU format UK driving licence is a first step toward that goal.

If you still have your UK licence then the point you have lost is not recorded anywhere therefore there is nothing to look up online. To lose points you must have a French licence and if you have one you can check your points here.

https://tele7.interieur.gouv.fr/tele...ntification.do

Strictly speaking the loss of a single point requires an exchange licence for it to be deducted but in practice it is generally only for offences attracting a loss of 2 points or more which will result in a demand for an exchange.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

For my sins, I have been caught a couple of times by the cameras on the 90 kmh section of the Toulouse Periphique. No excuse, but I just missed the signs when it changed from 110 kmh to 90 kmh.

On both occasions, I have been given a 45€ fine and the accompanying form said that one point would be deducted from my licence. I have a UK licence and have not been requested to exchange it for a French licence, as I feared may be the case.

Is the fact that I have lost points stored any where, even though I have not got a French licence? I was just wondering, if I have to exchange my licence for some reason, will the points be deducted then?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Martin Parker
For my sins, I have been caught a couple of times by the cameras on the 90 kmh section of the Toulouse Periphique. No excuse, but I just missed the signs when it changed from 110 kmh to 90 kmh.

On both occasions, I have been given a 45€ fine and the accompanying form said that one point would be deducted from my licence. I have a UK licence and have not been requested to exchange it for a French licence, as I feared may be the case.

Is the fact that I have lost points stored any where, even though I have not got a French licence? I was just wondering, if I have to exchange my licence for some reason, will the points be deducted then?

You will get a letter from Paris one day explaining the loss of points, You get another letter when you regain them The Oh was driving and she ticked the wrong box, So I got the points
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

The original letters came from Rennes. I didn't return a form as I paid the fine online. I can only assume that the points loss is held against my name somewhere, but as I do not have a French licence in the first place it may slip through the cracks.

Be nice if French bureaucracy worked in my favour for a change!!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
You will get a letter from Paris one day explaining the loss of points, You get another letter when you regain them:
Only with a French licence though.

Never heard of that for a UK one and certainly still waiting for mine 3 years after a moments distraction on the Paris Periphrique
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Only with a French licence though.

Never heard of that for a UK one and certainly still waiting for mine 3 years after a moments distraction on the Paris Periphrique
I disagree I have a British/German and USA Driving Licenses purely because I have always chosen to take the test again instead of exchanging. Im good at taking the test. And have had a number of points deducted in France thanks to the wife, I had a letter when they were removed and one when they were returned. They are not very prompt with the letters though.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jun 7th 2010 at 11:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.