Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Questions about changes to UK Driving license

Questions about changes to UK Driving license

Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about changes to UK Driving license

Originally Posted by ArchwayJack
Many thanks for your reply. This is getting a bit complicated. For what it is worth, I am with family. My partner, engaged in a short term contract here in France, gets paid in the UK and is taxed in the UK. As a result, we are not filling French tax returns. I am a volunteer in France, and as a result, do not get paid.
Sorry, I was trying to be helpful.
You appear to be tax resident in France and you should be filling in a french tax return as a family (not as an individual).
There is also a concession available for short-term contracts in another EU country.
Income and tax paid in another EU country are declared on said french tax return and no further tax would be due.
You would be included with zero income.
I am not sure about completing the tax return unless you are married or PACS'd - perhaps others can advise.
If your partner is paying NI in the UK then she is covered by a workers S1 -as stated above.
French tax returns are for the calendar year - one year in arrears.
Therefore, the 2015 declaration is for 2014 income.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
Hey guys a DL is important
It's important - but you only need one. If you already have a valid one, then getting a different one is not so important.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
If your partner is paying NI in the UK then she is covered by a workers S1 -as stated above.
Or to put it another way - if she's applied for and been issued with a workers S1, then she's entitled to continue paying NICs.
It's a bit like the tax - it's HMRC's decision, not yours. You can't just do what you think would suit you best, you have to ask.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

ArchwayJack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
Sorry, I was trying to be helpful.
You appear to be tax resident in France and you should be filling in a french tax return as a family (not as an individual).
There is also a concession available for short-term contracts in another EU country.
Income and tax paid in another EU country are declared on said french tax return and no further tax would be due.
You would be included with zero income.
I am not sure about completing the tax return unless you are married or PACS'd - perhaps others can advise.
French tax returns are for the calendar year - one year in arrears.
Therefore, the 2015 declaration is for 2014 income.
Many thanks for the info, everyone. I will need to check with my partner and see if I have all the info. It is possible that this is sorted, but that I am just out of the loop a bit. As for the license issue, I think I will probably leave it. It seems it isn't really worth it.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

The UK Government view is that a UK driving license is only valid if you are resident in the UK; if you move abroad permanently, you should register your change of address in the new country of residence and (in the EU) they'll issue you with a new EU driving licence for that country and notify DVLA of your new address.

However (and confusingly), some EU countries take a different view; best thing you can do is to contact the DVLA equivalent in the country where you now live and see if they'll accept your UK licence.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which directly contradicts the EU website where it quite clearly says that you only have to renew it if it expires:
Driving licence renewal and exchange - Your Europe
and the French government website which quite clearly says that there is no obligation to change to a French licence
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1757
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Which directly contradicts the EU website where it quite clearly says that you only have to renew it if it expires:
Driving licence renewal and exchange - Your Europe
and the French government website which quite clearly says that there is no obligation to change to a French licence
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1757
No, it says:

Originally Posted by EU Website
Obligatory exchange You may be required to exchange your driving licence:
Originally Posted by EU Website
  • after two years of normal residence, if you have a driving licence valid for life
  • if you commit a traffic offence in the country where you live.
Sample story

Anna moved from Berlin to Barcelona in Spain to take up a new job. After two years of normal residence in Spain, the Spanish authorities require her to exchange her German licence, which is valid indefinitely, for a Spanish one. Anna's new Spanish licence is valid for 10 years and she is bound by the Spanish rules on driving licences.

It seems they all make their own rules up.

Apologies for the formatting.

Last edited by Cynic; Feb 3rd 2016 at 6:54 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Indeed. But in context - France doesn't appear to have that 2-year rule. So neither France nor the EU is making it obligatory, so why should the UK?
You gotta love it - how do they make things so complicated.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

There is a small country icon on that page you linked to; it gives you links to all the EU countries different rules on the subject. Could be because EU law is not in fact law at all, they are more guidance documents to enable individual home countries to create their own legislation, quoting the appropriate EU journal. The UK tends to literally translate the whole document, while others countries seem to interpret their own view of what it meant to say.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:49 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is planning to return to the UK before his GB driving licence expires so why bother making unnecessary trouble? For what it's worth I continue to use my GB licence in Germany for two years and France for 18 months without anyone so much as battering an eyelid. If the OP is driving a car in France then he needs to make sure his French insurer is aware he holds a GB (EU) licence rather than a French licence but beyond that as it is not required to exchange one EU licence for another EU licence then why bother.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I had my UK license in France for 8 years, then I got a ticket and had to change it and my husband never changed his at all in 11 years. You really don't have to change your license until you commit a driving offense.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You really don't have to change your license until you commit a driving offense.
Not quite.

You have to exchange when:

A. Your photocard expires (10 years from issue), or you lose it.
B. At age 70 if you still have an old paper licence.
C. If you commit an offence AND the authorities require you to.

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I got a duplicate UK licence before exchanging the first one for my French licence
The rules state that you are not permitted to hold more than one EU licence at a time and the issuing of the French one instantly nullified any and all previous ones.

I'm a little surprised that you got away with what was actually fraud because how the system works, or is supposed to, is that licences surrendered for exchange are returned to the issuing authority for them to amend their records and if they (DVLA) cotton on to the fact that a supposedly lost and therefore invalid licence was used to obtain a French one it would be reported back potentially landing you with some rather embarrassing questions to answer from the gendarmes.

Maybe yours never made it back or DVLA didn't notice but you were lucky.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
I'm a little surprised that you got away with what was actually fraud because how the system works, or is supposed to, is that licences surrendered for exchange are returned to the issuing authority for them to amend their records and if they (DVLA) cotton on to the fact that a supposedly lost and therefore invalid licence was used to obtain a French one it would be reported back potentially landing you with some rather embarrassing questions to answer from the gendarmes.
I think you miss a small but important factor in your tirade, Im_and_Er , which is that I gave my licence to the French authorities and the net result was that my English licence is still valid. Whether or not I have a duplicate is completely beside the point because I could, even now, a replacement licence from the DVLA.

I do wonder how you cope with living in France
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think you miss a small but important factor in your tirade, Im_and_Er , which is that I gave my licence to the French authorities and the net result was that my English licence is still valid. Whether or not I have a duplicate is completely beside the point because I could, even now, a replacement licence from the DVLA.

I do wonder how you cope with living in France
I wouldn't be so sure; if you returned your duplicate for renewal; your record at DVLA will show that your previous licence was surrendered to the French authorities and a French one issued - they do communicate (which really surprised me). One of our Polish drivers came unstuck with this when he returned to Poland to do his ADR training refresher and showed the testing authority his "lost" Polish licence which he "kept" for this purpose; the Polish authorities confiscated his Polish licence.

One other point; if you check your UK driver card; section 4b gives the date of expiry (normally 10 years from the date of issue), the dates on the back are the dates related to potential retest (basically means that at age 70, you need a doctors certificate of being fit to drive, which will need to be submitted to DVLA with your licence renewal application).
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

I'm astonished that you think that the simple act of handing back a French licence somehow magically revalidates a UK licence (whether legitimately obtained or not), or has any effect whatsoever on your status with DVLA !

Are you in France or UK ?

Cynic, you do not need a doctors certificate at 70.

Initially on reaching 70 DVLA will send you a form for you to self certify that you are fit to drive and then you have to recertify every 3 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.