Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Proof of residence in France for a child

Proof of residence in France for a child

Old Apr 25th 2021, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

viennesewaltz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of residence in France for a child

Hello, I am in the process of applying for an Irish passport for my daughter. I need to prove that she is resident in France but I am having a hard time coming up with the relevant proofs. We live in France but all of our dealings with public authorities are in neighbouring Switzerland. My daughter goes to school in Switzerland and her doctor is in Switzerland. Obviously her name is not on any utility bills and she is too young to open a bank account. How can I prove that she is resident in France? Many thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of residence in France for a child

Since nobody else has come up with an idea - surely a dependant child is regarded by the law as living wherever their parent/guardian lives. Dependant being the key word. A child is not independant, it must live with the adult(s) who has/have custody, So I would have thought what you need to prove is that you as the parents live in France (and possibly that you have custody of the child, if there are complicated circumstances). In the UK and I believe in France, a minor cannot legally live on its own, if it's abandoned by its parent/guardian it has to be taken into care. So even though the law is an ass, expecting a dependant child to have proof of residence in its own name seems a step too nonsensical.
Old Apr 26th 2021, 7:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of residence in France for a child

Originally Posted by viennesewaltz
Hello, I am in the process of applying for an Irish passport for my daughter. I need to prove that she is resident in France but I am having a hard time coming up with the relevant proofs. We live in France but all of our dealings with public authorities are in neighbouring Switzerland. My daughter goes to school in Switzerland and her doctor is in Switzerland. Obviously her name is not on any utility bills and she is too young to open a bank account. How can I prove that she is resident in France? Many thanks.
Has your daughter got a Savings Bank Account in France, indicating your domicile?
Otherwise, you are responsible for your minor child and I'd think you just need proof of your relationship (Birth Certificate, Livret de Famille) and of your own Identity and Residency at your family domicile.
Hopefully the (on-line?) application has somewhere to note all this....