Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

mobile internet

mobile internet

Old Jan 1st 2018, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mobile internet

I know this has been discussed before, but it's an ever changing market so someone may have more up to date advice than I can find.

In March we plan to put our boat back in the water in Le Grau d'Agde and start up the Canal du Midi, slowly cruising and house hunting. Previously we have used an Orange sim for mobile internet and got around 8gb for 20 euro per month (I think), renewable by phone with a top up ticket from a tabac.

In 2013 I discovered a fantastic deal from a French company called Joemobile set up for expats because you could use a UK bank account to set up a direct debit and got around 14gb for less than the Orange deal. This lasted 1 month for me before Joemobile was bought out by Virgin who then wouldn't accept a UK direct debit so I lost the good deal. I finally got a deal through a friendly mobile shop guy who set an account up for me using the marina in St Mandrier sur Mer as an address then paid the fees for me and I paid him cash in advance. This got me a good deal, but I can't rely on finding someone so helpful again.

Roaming charges have gone, but UK mobile companies have fair usage clauses and even know when you tether your phone to your computer. We would undoubtedly fall foul of both of them.

Has anyone found any particularly good mobile wifi deals? With luck we will have sorted out a Britline account for the short term before we arrive, giving us a direct debit and can use a marina as an address, but may have to go back to a payg data sim.

All advice gratefully accepted as usual.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

bhamham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mobile internet

I'm with FREE and was able to open it online with a Capital One credit card registered in the US and have monthly payments deducted as well. They mailed the SIMs. Eventually shifted to a French bank after we opened an acct.

FREE works great in Paris, however, on a recent trip to La Rochelle the coverage/signal was horrible; so not sure how it would be in other areas of France.

Free mobile� : forfaits mobiles 4G+ sans engagement
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mobile internet

Thanks, I'll have a look