Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Problems with Livebox after adding laptop...

Problems with Livebox after adding laptop...

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

jillyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems with Livebox after adding laptop...

Hi there

I added my new laptop as a wireless connection (via Livebox) but now the original desktop can't connect to the internet, its showing that it is 'connected' but there is no IP address! Could somebody help in layman's terms as I'm not too technical... The old desktop is connected via ADSL cable, the laptop wirelessly.

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:16 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problems with Livebox after adding laptop...

Originally Posted by jillyc
Hi there

I added my new laptop as a wireless connection (via Livebox) but now the original desktop can't connect to the internet, its showing that it is 'connected' but there is no IP address! Could somebody help in layman's terms as I'm not too technical... The old desktop is connected via ADSL cable, the laptop wirelessly.

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum Jilly

What coloured port is the network cable for the wired pc plugged into. If it is in the Red one move it to the Yellow one.

If it is already in the Yellow one then you need to check the "TV over ADSL feature configuration" page to see that "Yellow Ethernet port auto-configuration is currently" is enabled.

Failing that.......

Unplug the Livebox and reboot it then do the same for the PC.

If neither things work when setting up the Wifi did you set up a MAC Address access table as if you did and the PC is not added then it will not be issued a IP Address. Or factory reset the Livebox and start again, Regrettably the Livebox is not the most reliable Wifi Access Point personal I dont recommend using it for that part as it will crash a fair bit with Traffic other both mediums.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 23rd 2011 at 12:23 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much, I'm not at home at the moment but will try what you suggest!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Ka Ora's advice about the coloured ethernet ports may not be applicable to every flavour of Livebox. I have the Livebox 2, the oblong box with a corner cut off, and all the ethernet ports worked immediately without any configuration changes whatsoever. It also works reliably with both WiFi and ethenet connected devices and does not crash.

To be honest it's quite difficult to imagine what you could do whilst connecting a WiFi laptop which would affect the ethernet side and a factory reset might be your best option. Make sure you have your user ID & PW handy though as you will need to enter them again after.

Have you rebooted your desktop though I wonder as under certain circumstances it could have allocated itself an invalid IP address in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx

To check open a command window and type in ipconfig /all

In the list of results look for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection (or very similar) and then it's IP address. Normally it will be in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx but if it's 169.254 as above then this is definitely your problem.

Fixing it will depend on which which operating system are you using but universally you could perform a System Restore to a time befor the problem started.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Ka Ora's advice about the coloured ethernet ports may not be applicable to every flavour of Livebox. I have the Livebox 2, the oblong box with a corner cut off, and all the ethernet ports worked immediately without any configuration changes whatsoever. It also works reliably with both WiFi and ethenet connected devices and does not crash.

To be honest it's quite difficult to imagine what you could do whilst connecting a WiFi laptop which would affect the ethernet side and a factory reset might be your best option. Make sure you have your user ID & PW handy though as you will need to enter them again after.

Have you rebooted your desktop though I wonder as under certain circumstances it could have allocated itself an invalid IP address in the range 169.254.xxx.xxx

To check open a command window and type in ipconfig /all

In the list of results look for Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection (or very similar) and then it's IP address. Normally it will be in the range 192.168.xxx.xxx but if it's 169.254 as above then this is definitely your problem.

Fixing it will depend on which which operating system are you using but universally you could perform a System Restore to a time befor the problem started.

Good luck.
The ports work out of the box normally but set up changes effect what the ports can be used for and if certain MAC address's can be assigned an IP address, An IP in the 169.254 range will have been assigned by the Automatic Private IP Addressing system which basically means that the OS's Addressing system failed to find a suitable Dhcp server "The Router/Livebox" But we know this already.

Performing a system restore on a computer at this time would not be the simplest solution, Simplest solution would be to factory reset the Livebox re input user connection details for the ADSL connection and confirm that a hardwired system can or cant connect connect to the internet. Or see below.....

Also if "Which it probably will" plugging the network cable that is currently in the Desktop into the laptop's rj45 port "Network" and see if it gets assigned a IP Address on that machine will certainly tell if the port has been disabled in the Livebox's config.

Going in to the hardwired desktop computers network settings disabling Dhcp and assigning a fixed address of 192.168.1.99 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 with a 192.168.1.1 dns will force it back to thinking at the same level as the Livebox and on a two machine network the fixed address is unlikely to clash with the Dhcp servers offerings to the laptop. I always start dishing dhcp ip address out above 192.168.1.50 so that I can set fixed address's for more troublesome set ups but keep the dhcp server running.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 23rd 2011 at 8:51 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

That's what I was going to say!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Performing a system restore on a computer at this time would not be the simplest solution.
For the record that is not what I said
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:21 pm

For the record that is not what I said
I didn't say that you did, It was a informative statement not a accusational statement I was responding to the text below. As I felt that advising someone to do a system restore at this stage would just create more problems. Better to evaluate the situation more as some simple cable moving and unplugging and reconnecting might resolve it all.

Let's not clutter up the OP's thread.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 24th 2011 at 8:28 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Agreed but as a last word 'fixing it' was purely in reference to the private IP address which experience has taught me can be a bit of a bu**er on occasion, especialy for the less technically adept
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks to everyone who suggested ways to fix the problem, it actually turned out to be very simple! I simply deleted IE from the desktop and installed Firefox as the default browser, now works a treat!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by jillyc
Thanks to everyone who suggested ways to fix the problem, it actually turned out to be very simple! I simply deleted IE from the desktop and installed Firefox as the default browser, now works a treat!
Glad to hear it, Probably a reboot did it.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad you're sorted but just for the record 'deleting IE from the desktop' has done nothing except delete a shortcut pointing to it and will have had no bearing whatsoever on the solution which was installing Firefox