Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Probate - French Property & UK Debt

Probate - French Property & UK Debt

Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

natalierodway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Probate - French Property & UK Debt

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I couldn't find any threads relating to my question elsewhere...

My Father in Law is from the UK but bought a house about 20 years ago in France and has lived in France since.

He owns his property in France outright with my Mother in Law who lives in the UK. She owns a property in the UK. The French property is my Father in Laws only asset.

My Mother in Law is the sole beneficiary of his assets as per his will.

He has credit card debt on UK credit cards.

Will my Mother in Law have to settle these UK credit card debts through French probate?

I'd so, will she be able to settle them once she has sold his house? Or will she need to settle them immediately?

I'm looking for the legal position if anyone has any knowledge of French probate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by natalierodway; Nov 6th 2018 at 2:04 pm. Reason: Update
Old Nov 6th 2018, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probate - French Property & UK Debt

That sounds like a question she needs to ask the notaire who's dealing with the succession. Or perhaps discuss with the credit card company. Presumably, the longer the debt is outstanding for, the more interest will mount up? If the interest does keep running and she can afford to pay it off, why not get rid of the debt. UK credit card interest can be as high as 19%, it's scary how fast a debt can grow.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 7:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it is a joint credit card, I don't believe your mother in law is responsible for the credit card debt. Normally, it is written off by the credit card companies when the card holder dies.
Old Nov 6th 2018, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

natalierodway is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for your response.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure PF? In the UK the executor pays off the credit card bill out of the estate. As you say it wouldn't be recovered from another person if there wasn't enough money in the deceased's estate to pay it, but in this case since the deceased owns a house, presumably there will be.
When my brother in the UK died a few years ago his credit card balance wasn't written off.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You say that the house is his only asset but he will also have a bank account and pension income (which will stop).
If he had a private (company or SIPP) pension then your MIL will inherit a widow's pension.
If your MIL doesn't want to get advice from a UK solicitor then perhaps she could ask the Citizens Advice Bureau.
If the debtor has assets in France then the credit card company can put a charge on his french assets that form part of his estate.
If it is too much hassle for the CC company then they will sell the debt to a debt collection agency which will hassle your MIL a lot.
As ET says, all of the above will increase the debt.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 3:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I would just tell the credit card company he has died, email a copy of the death certificate and then wait to see what happens. If they start asking about assets then you will of course have to tell them but just take it one step at a time and don't offer information unless they specifically ask for it.
Old Nov 7th 2018, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If they say they'll write it off, please let us know - and I'll try and make sure that the last thing I do before I shuffle off this mortal coil is buy something eyewateringly expensive on my UK credit card and have it delivered to a friend