Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Private V estate agent

Private V estate agent

Old Oct 12th 2020, 11:12 am
Just Joined

kazz4662 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Private V estate agent

We Hadn't though about buying private before has anyone done this was it hard any advice please ?
Old Oct 12th 2020, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private V estate agent

I am just thinking that unless your French is already up to speed, it could be difficult dealing with a French private seller unless they happen to speak very good English, which not many French people do. Things like arranging an appointment to view, asking questions, raising any concerns, negotiating a price, understanding the diagnostics.
Whereas most estate agents are geared up for dealing with anglophone buyers.
Maybe there is a website that private English sellers use, I don't know. Otherwise, if you are limited to English speaking sellers how would you know in advance whether the seller speaks English?
Old Oct 12th 2020, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

After I purchased my house some years ago, I discovered it as a private listing (i.e. minus the agent fees) about two months afterwards - I wasn't very happy as you can imagine, and kicked myself for not finding it before.
As far as I know everything goes through a notaire so there will be all the normal due diligence minus the agency fees added to the cost.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 12:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I am just thinking that unless your French is already up to speed, it could be difficult dealing with a French private seller unless they happen to speak very good English, which not many French people do. Things like arranging an appointment to view, asking questions, raising any concerns, negotiating a price, understanding the diagnostics.
Whereas most estate agents are geared up for dealing with anglophone buyers.
Maybe there is a website that private English sellers use, I don't know. Otherwise, if you are limited to English speaking sellers how would you know in advance whether the seller speaks English?
Have to agree that if the property-seeker doesn't speak/read/write adequate French, it would be nigh-on impossible to sort out the diagnostics and other issues, without a professional Agent as a hopefully impartial go-between. The impartial Notaire doesn't touch such issues....
Old Oct 12th 2020, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Concur with everyone To buy privately you need to understand the buying process and be able to understand all the documentation If the notaire is not happy that your French is good enough to know what you are signing and all the related paperwork you will be required to employ a translator at your own expense Furthermore a good agent will also help with utilities etc
This site may help https://www.notaires.fr/en
Old Oct 12th 2020, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all and any information is appreciated
Old Oct 12th 2020, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply if we found somewhere as a private sale do we just go to the notaire =/- translator ( guess they may have one ? ) to arrange the paperwork ?
Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Normally you would discuss this with the seller. It's usual for buyer and seller to use the same notaire. Although you don't have to.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 12th 2020 at 6:09 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

When you have found somewhere you are interested in, sign nothing*, and go to a notaire. The notaire is impartial but do not expect them to proactively protect you or the seller. You can ask a notaire to make an offer on your behalf.

Our notaire recommended a translator but I expect you could provide your own, assuming they had the appropriate qualifications set out by the notaire.

You can use different notaires and the notaires need not be local to the property.

*Really, nothing. Sign nothing at all.

Last edited by graham.miln; Oct 12th 2020 at 5:47 pm. Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 12th 2020, 9:51 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
After I purchased my house some years ago, I discovered it as a private listing (i.e. minus the agent fees) about two months afterwards - I wasn't very happy as you can imagine, and kicked myself for not finding it before.
As far as I know everything goes through a notaire so there will be all the normal due diligence minus the agency fees added to the cost.
Use Google images I noticed images getting reused across different sites but they can lead you to one of the many private listing web sites. Google image searches is a resource that most folk overlook.

Not to mention if you work out the location of the house/land with street view you can match it to it's parcel number and ask at the cadastral offices for the owners details.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 12th 2020 at 9:55 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 5:25 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazz4662
We Hadn't though about buying private before has anyone done this was it hard any advice please ?
Bought an apartment several years ago privately. There is little or no difference between private or through an estate agent; over than the agent gets a fee. Buying private you should still engage a solicitor.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 6:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW
Bought an apartment several years ago privately. There is little or no difference between private or through an estate agent; over than the agent gets a fee. Buying private you should still engage a solicitor.
Was this before the Diagnostics requirements were created?
Solicitor in the sense of an Avocat? Whether buying privately or via an estate agent, a Notaire is the only competent lawman for conveyancing. Two different professionals....
Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:23 am
Banned

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Was this before the Diagnostics requirements were created?
Solicitor in the sense of an Avocat? Whether buying privately or via an estate agent, a Notaire is the only competent lawman for conveyancing. Two different professionals....
In answer to your question: No

I used the word solicitor as this term is readily understood by a Brit. When these people eventually reach the point of buying then it will be pointed out to them that a Notaire does the work. My wife is a solicitor so I'm aware of the difference.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The purchase process is the same whether you use an estate agent or not but the difference as I see it is, the estate agent is your point of contact. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the situation but wouldn't agree that it makes little or no difference on a day to day basis, because the way you communicate and get your information can make quite a big difference.
I didn't use an estate agent because I had read so many comments about how poor some French estate agents are, and in any case I am a bit of a control freak and I preferred to deal with the seller and notaire myself as it seemed to me that having an extra party involved just risked muddying the waters and causing delays and misunderstandings, plus I didn't see any point in paying an estate agent's fee when I didn't see what they could usefully contribute.
BUT I can understand why that liaison/hand holding service might be worth paying for for a newbie to France who may need help with communication and also understanding the processes.
Might also be worth mentioning that notaires sometimes also act as estate agents in that they have a list of properties that they advertise and market on behalf of the seller. Maybe you can shed more light on exactly how this works KJMW if that is something your wife does? I guess that the notaire would be the single point of contact for the buyer, I don't know how the fee works - do they charge a lower fee than estate agents? I don't suppose they charge no fee at all for the service.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 9:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJMW
In answer to your question: No

I used the word solicitor as this term is readily understood by a Brit. When these people eventually reach the point of buying then it will be pointed out to them that a Notaire does the work. My wife is a solicitor so I'm aware of the difference.
Fair enough, but my comment was really intended for potential expats coming from the UK - often they don't know that the concept of solicitor, as known in the UK, doesn't exist in France. IMO always best to avoid confusion and use the French terms...
(And well done for dealing with the Diagnostics on your own!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.