British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/primary-schools-sainte-foy-la-grande-le-fleix-928736/)

vanessakate1974 Oct 22nd 2019 9:07 am

Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 
We are moving to Le Fleix/Sainte Foy La Grande and West of Bergerac in January and are keen to find a school for our 6 year old son. We aren't sure where to start so any recommendations would be hugely appreciated and also if anyone has any similar experiences you can share with us that would be helpful. We are open minded about state/private and international.
Thanks

EuroTrash Oct 22nd 2019 1:31 pm

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 

Originally Posted by vanessakate1974 (Post 12752265)
We are moving to Le Fleix/Sainte Foy La Grande and West of Bergerac in January and are keen to find a school for our 6 year old son. We aren't sure where to start so any recommendations would be hugely appreciated and also if anyone has any similar experiences you can share with us that would be helpful. We are open minded about state/private and international.
Thanks

Hi - normally your first call of call would be the mairie, to enquire about places at the local primary school(s) and the procedure for enrolling your little boy.

dmu Oct 23rd 2019 8:03 am

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12752360)
Hi - normally your first call of call would be the mairie, to enquire about places at the local primary school(s) and the procedure for enrolling your little boy.

+1
It's the Mairie of the Commune where you're living which allocates the State Primary nearest to your domicile. Go along, armed with your son's birth certificate, Vaccination Certificate, together with justification of your domicile (Property Deed, Rental receipts, Utility bills, ...) and they enrol you directly. If you prefer a private school, I believe you go to the school directly to enrol, after registering your child at the Mairie.
They learn to read and write in 6ème (first year Primary) and your son will relearn "à la française" and quickly pick up the language.
Insurance is compulsory and you'll get info at the school on all the options. We chose a year-long insurance (MAE) for ours, covering the holidays, too. It wasn't expensive. Bear in mind that, in most Communes, there's no school on Wednesdays, but most Mairies organise activities for the day if both parents work....
If you have other questions about living in France (healthcare coverage, employment status, etc....), don't hesitate to ask!
HTH

south_bound Oct 23rd 2019 8:14 am

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 12752716)
+1
It's the Mairie of the Commune where you're living which allocates the State Primary nearest to your domicile. Go along, armed with your son's birth certificate, Vaccination Certificate, together with justification of your domicile (Property Deed, Rental receipts, Utility bills, ...) and they enrol you directly. If you prefer a private school, I believe you go to the school directly to enrol, after registering your child at the Mairie.
They learn to read and write in 6ème (first year Primary) and your son will relearn "à la française" and quickly pick up the language.
Insurance is compulsory and you'll get info at the school on all the options. We chose a year-long insurance (MAE) for ours, covering the holidays, too. It wasn't expensive. Bear in mind that, in most Communes, there's no school on Wednesdays, but most Mairies organise activities for the day if both parents work....
If you have other questions about living in France (healthcare coverage, employment status, etc....), don't hesitate to ask!
HTH

Unless things have changed recently, 6eme is the first year in secondary school, ie. College (sorry, don't know how to add the backwards accent to the e), and the main primary classes where "proper" reading and writing are CE1, CE2, CM1 and CM2. It will become obvious when you get into the system.

The required insurance for résponsibilité civile is often included in house insurance policies, at least ours always has. We just asked the insurance company for a print-out at the start of the school year. The school sometimes got a bit fussy if the insurance certificate did not cover the whole school year because the insurance renewal date was before, but it never caused more than the need to explain it and send in an up to date one when it came through.

dmu Oct 23rd 2019 9:07 am

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 

Originally Posted by south_bound (Post 12752718)
Unless things have changed recently, 6eme is the first year in secondary school, ie. College (sorry, don't know how to add the backwards accent to the e), and the main primary classes where "proper" reading and writing are CE1, CE2, CM1 and CM2. It will become obvious when you get into the system.

The required insurance for résponsibilité civile is often included in house insurance policies, at least ours always has. We just asked the insurance company for a print-out at the start of the school year. The school sometimes got a bit fussy if the insurance certificate did not cover the whole school year because the insurance renewal date was before, but it never caused more than the need to explain it and send in an up to date one when it came through.

Ooops, my bad!
I meant CP!

vanessakate1974 Oct 23rd 2019 3:35 pm

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 
Thanks all for your help and advice and I shall get started with your suggestions.

If you have any other info you think may be useful then I would love to hear. We have done lots of research etc but it would be good for an inside scoop so to speak. Healthcare, How to meet other expats? How I can learn French? My husband is very good as studied it with his MA (albeit many moons ago!) but I'm rusty GCSE, know lots of words but not sure how to put them together! If any of you are running a B&B that would also be helpful. We both will still be doing our own work remotely but will have 4 letting suites so any tips on running a B&B also very helpful. Luckily it's already up and running and hoping for a good handover!
Thanks all :-)

dmu Oct 23rd 2019 5:40 pm

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 

Originally Posted by vanessakate1974 (Post 12752936)
Thanks all for your help and advice and I shall get started with your suggestions.

If you have any other info you think may be useful then I would love to hear. We have done lots of research etc but it would be good for an inside scoop so to speak. Healthcare, How to meet other expats? How I can learn French? My husband is very good as studied it with his MA (albeit many moons ago!) but I'm rusty GCSE, know lots of words but not sure how to put them together! If any of you are running a B&B that would also be helpful. We both will still be doing our own work remotely but will have 4 letting suites so any tips on running a B&B also very helpful. Luckily it's already up and running and hoping for a good handover!
Thanks all :-)

Whatever your respective employment status is, you must both set up French business structures, wherever your clients are, and contribute into the French Social Security System. If you are salaried with, or own UK companies, things become complicated on the healthcare front. There are threads on the subject towards the end of the Read Me: Moving to France FAQs above, or some one more in the more will be able to explain once you tell us what your status is...
Sorry, can't advise on the B&B front, but do know that you have to declare that activity to the Mairie.
I imagine there are plenty of expats in your area, but why not join an Assocation or Club in your town, to meet people with the same interests? There again, the Mairie will give you a list of all the activities. You'll also meet other parents at the school gates and when your son starts to socialise with his new friends!
HTH

EuroTrash Oct 23rd 2019 6:10 pm

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 
As DMU says - working remotely from France = working in France. It's where your bum is that counts, not where your employer or your clients are. So one way or another you need to be registered, either as employees or as independents.
That will then answer your question on healthcare because you'll be paying social security contributions on your earnings, and that will automatically affiliate you to the French healthcare system.

Listen Very Carefully Oct 24th 2019 11:07 am

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 
For setting up businesses in France your Chamber of Commerce is always a good source of info www.cci.fr
For info on setting up a chambres d'hote see www.creer-mon-business-plan.fr and under the rubrique Découvrez les guides complets click on chambres d'hotes and all the info is there in french This is the official french government website http://www.service-public.fr/particu...sdroits/F17452 As has already been said you will need to register with the Mairie as you will have to collect the taxe de séjour
Regarding the language if you are going to be running a business in France especially in the hospitality sector you will need to speak french to a good standard so it means that between now and January you need to put in some serious effort before you come here. In view of the timescale probably some private lessons coupled with Michel Thomas Cds are going to be required as you will never make a living relying on Brit trade especially after Brexit Bonne Chance

petitefrancaise Oct 24th 2019 12:58 pm

Re: Primary schools Sainte Foy La Grande/Le Fleix
 
Valerie Aston https://www.startbusinessinfrance.co...ation-services
recently published some stuff regarding a gite type of business. She would be a great resource, lots of experience and very good value.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:02 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.