British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Post Brexit customs changes. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/post-brexit-customs-changes-937891/)

cyrian Mar 31st 2021 8:49 am

Post Brexit customs changes.

I just read an article about post-Brexit French customs changes.
For those who are moving permanently to France, there doesn't seem to be any change.
You still need to provide French customs with an inventory of goods that you are bringing to France.
For second home owners, the situation is a bit different.
If you are shipping furniture or other items exceeding 300€ then you need to declare these items and if required pay TVA (VAT) and perhaps customs duty.
You could be asked to produce receipts to confirm the values.
For items that you intend to bring back to the UK at the end of your "holiday" then they are exempt.
However, for all arrivals, there are now restrictions on certain items that you cannot import - for example certain foodstuffs that you need to declare.
You would need to verify what items are restricted but these include meat products; dairy products; plants and several other product groups.
Checking the customs restrictions before you travel could minimise potential delays when you arrive.

Alfonsocolli Apr 11th 2021 12:29 am

Re: Post Brexit customs changes.

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12989646)
I just read an article about post-Brexit French customs changes.
For those who are moving permanently to France, there doesn't seem to be any change.
You still need to provide French customs with an inventory of goods that you are bringing to France.
For second home owners, the situation is a bit different.
If you are shipping furniture or other items exceeding 300€ then you need to declare these items and if required pay TVA (VAT) and perhaps customs duty.
You could be asked to produce receipts to confirm the values.
For items that you intend to bring back to the UK at the end of your "holiday" then they are exempt.
However, for all arrivals, there are now restrictions on certain items that you cannot import - for example certain foodstuffs that you need to declare.
You would need to verify what items are restricted but these include meat products; dairy products; plants and several other product groups.
Checking the customs restrictions before you travel could minimise potential delays when you arrive.

Hi there
We are planning to drive through France soon, 3 months time, and going to relocate to Spain.
We will drive down in a van with our personal belongings.
Will we need a customs clearance doc?

cyrian Apr 11th 2021 7:19 am

Hi
Sorry I can't answer your question but you will be importing goods into the EU from a third country.
I shipped my goods when we were members of the EU.
I think that you will need a minimum of an inventory of all your possessions.
There are items that are not allowed e.g. house plants.
The French customs will decide if you need to pay any import duty or VAT - in theory you wouldn't but France is being a bit pig-headed when it comes to the UK post-Brexit.
For example, they (actually Dutch customs) have taken sandwiches off drivers because they contained meat whereas France accepts up to 10kg of meat from selected third countries including Iceland.

This may help.
French customs

Alfonsocolli Apr 11th 2021 8:30 am

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12993664)
Hi
Sorry I can't answer your question but you will be importing goods into the EU from a third country.
The French customs will decide if you need to pay any import duty or VAT - in theory you wouldn't but France is being a bit pig-headed when it comes to the UK post-Brexit.
For example, they (actually Dutch customs) have taken sandwiches off drivers because they contained meat whereas France accepts up to 10kg of meat from selected third countries including Iceland.

This may help.
French customs

Thank you :)

Alfonsocolli Apr 11th 2021 8:36 am

Originally Posted by cyrian (Post 12993664)
Hi

This may help.
French customs

Hi again
Looked at the link and it's for trade export, which I'm not.
I've looked for ages and all I seem to find is everything aimed at buisness export and nothing relating to crossing the border with your own personal belongings in the back of a van.
I've contacted the authorities in France and Spain and all they tend to do is just reply with a link., similar to the one you sent me
:(
​​​

cyrian Apr 11th 2021 8:57 am

I would search for american forums for expats in France.
The UK is now in the same position as the USA although they will probably use an import company to move their goods.
Come back and let us know how you get on to help others in the same situation.
Good luck

Listen Very Carefully Apr 11th 2021 9:08 am

The reason that meat is being seized at the border is that the UK did not agree a phytosanitary agreement with the EU The reason for this is that the UK was determined to get a trade deal with the US which included the import of GM and hormone treated meat which are banned in the EU The UK was unwilling to adopt EU standards for exporting from a third country hence no meat from the UK Other countries have agreements and common standards so meat can be imported .Hence the problem is of Johnson and Frosts making not the EUs

Alfonsocolli Apr 11th 2021 9:17 am

No need for customs clearance for personal items

https://www.agenciatributaria.es/AEA...a_Aduana.shtml

You'll need information in the personal ("vehicles" and "reliefs for change of residence" would be the two most important I guess) and general sections.