Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Political situation

Political situation

Old Jun 10th 2024, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political situation

Originally Posted by ETgohome
Seriously? Don't you think the fact that the UK voted Conservative in 2016 (or whenever they voted) changed a few things for residents in the UK?
I thought that was the point of general elections...
As you say "a few things" but for everybody - not just for someone wanting to move to France.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:11 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived in rural North Hérault over 30 years ago, it was politically Deep Red (coal-mining in the area at the time). In the last few years, Navy Blue has become predominant and I was shocked to see that 42% of my former Commune voted RN (or whatever it's called now) in Sunday's Election. From one extreme to the other in 30 years....
I think Macron knows what he's doing - he might manage a majority, but if he's obliged to nominate Bordella (sic) as PM, then the latter will show the country the mess that the FN will cause on all fronts, and a moderate President will be elected in 2027, even though he (Macron) knows it won't be himself....

Last edited by dmu; Jun 10th 2024 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

petitpoussin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rakki
Hi we have been making plans to retire in France but with the announcement yesterday we wondered what the “feel” is out there for British expats.
I asked the notaire that question 20yrs ago when buying our first home here and I realise now it's not a question one person can answer, because it's a personal experience to them. We moved to an area that was quite anti incomer without realising it. I thought that saving a house that had been left to fall into the central place,inviting neighbours to aperos (always recommended as an ice breaker at that time), being generally friendly and taking part in local events would help. It took 10yrs to realise that it wasn't us causing the grumpy shopkeeper to give us the 'stink eye'. We packed up and moved to a place with a naturally friendly and warm population. Our original location now has a centre d'accueil pour demandeurs d'asile, almost next door to our old residence, so I feel sorry for those poor people. The local nimby's demonstrate regularly bringing in support from far afield and have threatened the maire over the issue.
Most villages and towns have a newsletter,website etc and reading this will give a true insight into the general vibe,interests and priorities and political outlook of a place. Go online and check out the local newspaper and read about what is going on in the place you are interested in. Above all, I wish we had stayed for a while in the location that we first invested our lives in, rather than buying the house first. I have heard that advice so many times, but the lure of not wanting to miss out on what seems like the perfect home is strong.
When you see the list of requirements needed to live in France it may seem daunting but like everything in life, you just need to deal with one thing at a time and keep plodding through. If we were doing it now, the biggest obstacle would be the guaranteed income requirement per person, at the level of smic. I think it's now€1,766.92 per month (Gross), around €1,400 per month (net) for non eu citizens. I wish you all the best and really hope you find what you are looking for.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

ETgohome is an unknown quantity at this point

My commune in Normandy has relatively few immigrants, to the extent that when I'm in other parts of France I'm very often struck by how many immigrants there are (and I don't go to Marseilles). It's a peaceful little backwater with an ageing population. Yet it voted over 39% for RN, up from 31% last time and a huge majority over the second placed candidate. Va savoir.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

ETgohome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cyrian
As I said, others may disagree.
Well I don't know whether I agree or disagree because I don't know what you mean. France has a relatively easy immigration process without many hoops, and those that there are aren't difficult to wriggle through. I have scratched my head and I can't see how any of the requirements or conditions is particularly linked to North Africans. Do tell me what I'm missing!