Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Political situation

Political situation

Old Jun 10th 2024, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Rakki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Political situation

Hi we have been making plans to retire in France but with the announcement yesterday we wondered what the “feel” is out there for British expats.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Political situation

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by the "feel".
Moving from the UK to France is not as straightforward as moving from London to Cardiff.
You will need to apply for a visa which you may or may not get.
You will have to deal with French bureaucracy in French as well as other service providers.
You will have to complete an annual income tax declaration.
You will have to learn how to deal with a National Health Service which does not operate like the NHS.
You will have to learn about family and inheritance laws which are more strict and potentially more expensive than in the UK.
You will discover that the housing market in France is completely different from that in the UK.
I don't see that a General Election in France will change anything for residents in France - but others may disagree.
HTH

Old Jun 10th 2024, 1:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
... You will need to apply for a visa ....
Unless at least one of them has an EU citizenship.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean by the "feel".
Moving from the UK to France is not as straightforward as moving from London to Cardiff.
You will need to apply for a visa which you may or may not get.
You will have to deal with French bureaucracy in French as well as other service providers.
You will have to complete an annual income tax declaration.
You will have to learn how to deal with a National Health Service which does not operate like the NHS.
You will have to learn about family and inheritance laws which are more strict and potentially more expensive than in the UK.
You will discover that the housing market in France is completely different from that in the UK.
I don't see that a General Election in France will change anything for residents in France - but others may disagree.
HTH
hi. Thank you for replying. Yes we have done all the research on the actual relocation etc. I just wondered about the situation with the hard right gaining popularity and wanting to stop immigration etc and how that is impacting on Expats. Hopefully it’s not as you are all contributing to the economy.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless at least one of them has an EU citizenship.
The other one would still need to apply for a visa.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 4:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The other one would still need to apply for a visa.
I thought spouses and domestic partners were covered by FOM rules, and if not, what was the "Surinder Singh route" all about, pre Brexit, when a UK citizen could move (from outside the EU) to any country in the EU (that wasn't the UK), with their non-EU spouse/ partner, without either party needing a visa, "establish their life" (for around six months was recommended), then move to the UK, without the non-EU spouse needing a visa, under the EU's "freedom of movement" rules?
Old Jun 10th 2024, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rakki
hi. Thank you for replying. Yes we have done all the research on the actual relocation etc. I just wondered about the situation with the hard right gaining popularity and wanting to stop immigration etc and how that is impacting on Expats. Hopefully it’s not as you are all contributing to the economy.
All prospective mmigrants have to jump through various hoops because of certain immigrant groups based on certain nationalities e.g. North African.
This could be described as racism.

The French authorities are more interested in that you are not a liability on French society rather than your contribution to society.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Jun 10th 2024, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

ETgohome is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand why you're suddenly worried, but the swing to the right is not new and has not been exacerbated by the vote. It was there alrrady. Hence the vote. Yet you didn't worry about it before, apparently.
Wait and see what happens at the elections. Macron is putting his faith ifathe French using their common sense, and you will have to do the same.
It's hard to even have a stab at answering your question as it stands because it depends on whereabouts in France you are talking about. The f'feel" is totally diiferent in different places. Eymet? Toulouse? Paris? Strasbourg?

Last edited by ETgohome; Jun 10th 2024 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought spouses and domestic partners were covered by FOM rules, and if not, what was the "Surinder Singh route" all about, pre Brexit, when a UK citizen could move (from outside the EU) to any country in the EU (that wasn't the UK), with their non-EU spouse/ partner, without either party needing a visa, "establish their life" (for around six months was recommended), then move to the UK, without the non-EU spouse needing a visa, under the EU's "freedom of movement" rules?
We have a French friend who lived in South Korea and was married to a SK citizen.
Their marriage was registered with the French embassy in Seoul.
They decided to relocate to France.
She arrived in France and was told that she was on a tourist visa (passport stamped).
She was told that within 3 months, she had to return to SK and apply for a spouse visa.
Spouse visas are easier to obtain in France without the financial requirements that apply in the UK.
Hence the "Surinder Singh route".
If the OP is not married or in a civil partnership then the spouse visa does not apply.
Domestic partners are not legally recognised in France.
HTH
Old Jun 10th 2024, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

I think the OP's concerns are about the political situation at this very moment, rather than with immigration issues in general. Certainly I think that Macron's snap decision to dissolve parliament has jolted the French. I do think this is a pivotal moment for France. And the imminent election campaign will get it all out into the open and hopefully clarify things. French election campaigns are nothing like the children's circus in the uk, it is head to head debates on burning issues and it does focus the mind. When it has been thrashed out and the voters know exactly what each party stands for and which direction they will take France in, and the vote is cast, we'll know whether Macron's gamble paid off and people shied away from embracing the extreme right knowing what it means, or whether France really is intent on turning its back on Europe and EU values.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have found this question difficult to respond to.
My response has been carefully worded to avoid touching on the sensitive subject of racism.
In my experience, the UK and USA citizens who speak French (not necessary in certain regions of France) and are well integrated into French life experience (almost) no issues.
I have experienced a very few people who avoid me.
I have experienced similar in England where a very few have reacted because I am Scottish.
English people have also experienced similar in Scotland.
This is normally restricted to very few people (idiots?).
I know an Englishman who had lived and worked in France for 30 to 40 years and was proposed as president of the golf club.
A frenchman opposed his candidacy because he "was not French".
The right wing is strongest in the South of France (Marseille etc) where there is a large North African population.
However, the voting in the election at the weekend has seen a change.
Voting for National Rally has increased in areas throughout France.
HTH
Old Jun 10th 2024, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

All prospective mmigrants have to jump through various hoops because of certain immigrant groups based on certain nationalities e.g. North African.
This could be described as racism..
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. As far as far as I am aware, all third country national are treated the same. North Africans have exactly the same visa options, on the same criteria, as Brits, Chinese, Australians etc.
Algerians have special treatment because of history but that's political.

Old Jun 10th 2024, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

HTH
Seriously? Don't you think the fact that the UK voted Conservative in 2016 (or whenever they voted) changed a few things for residents in the UK?
I thought that was the point of general elections...
Old Jun 10th 2024, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ETgohome
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. As far as far as I am aware, all third country national are treated the same. North Africans have exactly the same visa options, on the same criteria, as Brits, Chinese, Australians etc.
Algerians have special treatment because of history but that's political.
As I said, others may disagree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.