Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Poitou-Charentes should we move?

Poitou-Charentes should we move?

Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

VanZeil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Poitou-Charentes should we move?

Hi
I guess I am looking for some pro's and con's to living in France. We have a camper van and have travelled to France every summer for the last 6 years, we love it and have never had a bad experience. Approaching 40 with a son who is 5 I am wondering if we should we make the move. I have read the schools info and how it's important to get involved with the community. Can anyone tell me if local towns have a call for volenteers and in which areas. Do they allow you to volenteer and help out in schools? My partner would be working away 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and my biggest fear is lonelyness.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:39 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Poitou-Charentes should we move?

Originally Posted by VanZeil
Hi
I guess I am looking for some pro's and con's to living in France. We have a camper van and have travelled to France every summer for the last 6 years, we love it and have never had a bad experience. Approaching 40 with a son who is 5 I am wondering if we should we make the move. I have read the schools info and how it's important to get involved with the community. Can anyone tell me if local towns have a call for volenteers and in which areas. Do they allow you to volenteer and help out in schools? My partner would be working away 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and my biggest fear is lonelyness.
Welcome to the forum, Schools usually like to have volunteers especially for school trips etc Couldn't tell you on if they have them in the class rooms all of my sons education has been with employed professionals so to speak. I got involved in a trip when our boy was at the maternelle "Neveragain" is my motto now.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:18 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I got involved in a trip when our boy was at the maternelle "Neveragain" is my motto now.
I used to be a "Maman accompagnatrice" - it was always a hair-raising experience on day-trips, and I never enjoyed them!
Otherwise there are no volunteers as such in Primary schools - the non-teaching staff are all employed by the Town Hall. None in secondary education either.
You could offer to help your local "Restos du Coeur" or other charities.
I wouldn't worry about being lonely. With a 5 year old, you'll make friends with his pals' mothers. And there are all sorts of Associations in every town and village that you could join (get a list from the Mairie), and you'll make friends with people with similar interests.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
I used to be a "Maman accompagnatrice" - it was always a hair-raising experience on day-trips, and I never enjoyed them!
Otherwise there are no volunteers as such in Primary schools - the non-teaching staff are all employed by the Town Hall. None in secondary education either.
You could offer to help your local "Restos du Coeur" or other charities.
I wouldn't worry about being lonely. With a 5 year old, you'll make friends with his pals' mothers. And there are all sorts of Associations in every town and village that you could join (get a list from the Mairie), and you'll make friends with people with similar interests.
I know the "Restos du Coeur" is very busy around here with less well off folk and there is all the collections at the supermarkets as well. I The larger towns have hospices for vulnerable women, I assume there must be other sorts as well. Probably would not hurt to collect a list of all the charitable organisations like that so folk can find them if needed.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 5:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I know the "Restos du Coeur" is very busy around here with less well off folk and there is all the collections at the supermarkets as well. I The larger towns have hospices for vulnerable women, I assume there must be other sorts as well. Probably would not hurt to collect a list of all the charitable organisations like that so folk can find them if needed.
Re voluntary work, I forgot to mention hospital visiting. Ask at your local nursing homes/hospital/clinic whether there are English-speaking patients who need company and/or can't communicate with the staff.
Apart from the "Restos du Coeur", there's only a Secours Catholique shop and "Secours Populaire" dépôt in our nearest town. They aren't into charity shops here, but there are charitable organisations (Cancer, Red Cross, ...) that welcome help (and donations) in each Region.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

racaille is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it really depends on how outgoing you are. You may find you have to make the first move sometimes. But with a five-year-old you have a ready-made circle of potential friends waiting outside the school gates! You could also join a group or club - I may keep banging away about this but it worked very well for me.

As always the language is the most important thing - you need to get to grips with it but it will come if you are in constant contact with french people.

Your boy is at a good age to make the transition but I believe the most important thing is that you have to really, desperately WANT to live in France. There are many hurdles to overcome (separation from friends and family, French bureaucracy - this cannot be overestimated - and simply adjusting to a different culture) and this is all do-able but only if your desire to be here outweighs your occasional frustration.

Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I agreee!!!
Old Feb 18th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Although sometimes a mixed blessing, you will find plenty of Brits in Poitou-Charente. I was told there are more in this region of France than in Dordogneshire! I will be moving to Charente later in the year with what will be a 2 year old and a 2 month old!
Your kids are at a good age to adapt very quickly, so if you're thinking of making the move, I'd go for it.
Old Feb 18th 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Although sometimes a mixed blessing, you will find plenty of Brits in Poitou-Charente. I was told there are more in this region of France than in Dordogneshire! I will be moving to Charente later in the year with what will be a 2 year old and a 2 month old!
Your kids are at a good age to adapt very quickly, so if you're thinking of making the move, I'd go for it.
I think this flood is pretty even across France
Old Feb 18th 2011, 6:29 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you will find an English speaking Cancer Support group in the Poitou Charente. Check the Cancer Support France (CSF) website for further info.