Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Plasterer wanted

Plasterer wanted

Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Plasterer wanted

Hello chaps and chapettes,

If anybody knows of an english plasterer in France can you please let me know. It for a new build and it's pretty urgent.....

Thanks for any help
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plasterer wanted

Originally Posted by le plumber

If anybody knows of an english plasterer in France can you please let me know. It for a new build and it's pretty urgent.....

Thanks for any help
Hi, do you mean in your area? I may know of some one (in the Hérault), but that's too far away from you...
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, do you mean in your area? I may know of some one (in the Hérault), but that's too far away from you...
Thanks for the reply - all depends on whether or not he's prepared to travel. He can be fed and watered and accomodation can be arranged too. If he's good it shouldn't take him too long especially as I'll have the site prepared for him in advance. I can be in the background and can do the donkey work, ie making up the plaster and cups of tea - all he has to do is spead the stuff on the wall....
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply - all depends on whether or not he's prepared to travel. He can be fed and watered and accomodation can be arranged too. If he's good it shouldn't take him too long especially as I'll have the site prepared for him in advance. I can be in the background and can do the donkey work, ie making up the plaster and cups of tea - all he has to do is spead the stuff on the wall....
PM is being sent!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for any help
Just to indicate to everyone that my possible Anglo-French plasterer wouldn't suit as he trained in France.
so it's back to square one for Le Plumber....
Old Aug 29th 2012, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
Just to indicate to everyone that my possible Anglo-French plasterer wouldn't suit as he trained in France.
so it's back to square one for Le Plumber....
Thanks for your help anyway

If hes competant then, in theory, he shouldn't have any trouble with Thistle Multi Finish - if anything its easier to work with, so if hes up for some extra cash the offer still stands. The last time French plasterers used Multifinish though we were renovating appartements and I've never seen such a hash of a job and in the end the walls had to be done in "projeté" to cover up the mess! Complete waste of time and money
French plasterers always question why we do this skimming lark as they are used to the tape and mud and thats another reason why I'd prefer some expat plasterer because I wouldn't have to convince them of what they are doing....
Old Aug 30th 2012, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

I know a lad who has a couple of guys over this side of the Jura if you are interested? I've passed this thread on to him anyways.

Last edited by cuthbert; Aug 30th 2012 at 11:09 am.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Abyss-Rover is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a subject that comes up in Spain, a lot. Ex pats looking for a tradesman that they feel comfortable dealing with.
Old Aug 30th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cuthbert
I know a lad who has a couple of guys over this side of the Jura if you are interested? I've passed this thread on to him anyways.
Hi Cuthbert,

That would be perfect, thanks - I'm only a couple of hours away from Geneva, so its not that far at all.

Keep me posted!!
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

He's on holidays at the mo should be back in a week.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

He's on holidays at the mo should be back in a week.
OK Thanks

Its not urgent urgent, but I want to be able organise who does what and when and being a control freak, I like that to be sooner rather than later, lol
Old Sep 7th 2012, 12:50 pm
edp
Forum Regular

edp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really niceedp is just really nice

Maybe this needs a new thread, I was thinking of retraining in the UK as a plasterer and moving to France, I am now in Sweden but I have lived in France before. I have spent my career in IT but looking for a change...in your experience is it quite easy to pick up work here and there as a plasterer?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Plastering is an art, and I would say that it's not something can be just picked up. Having mates in the trade and as someone who can, albeit very badly, plaster I would look to maybe something different if you were going to do a life direction change, plumbing, electrician etc. I know "le plumber" would disagree, as it needs a proper apprenticeship etc, but an 18 months course over here can set you up well. But doing any formal training in the UK for a life style change, and then expecting to implement it over here, unfortunately wouldn't get you very far in my opinion. You need to do the training here for it to really be of benefit and to allow you to work above the radar.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Plastering is an art, and I would say that it's not something can be just picked up. Having mates in the trade and as someone who can, albeit very badly, plaster I would look to maybe something different if you were going to do a life direction change, plumbing, electrician etc. I know "le plumber" would disagree, as it needs a proper apprenticeship etc, but an 18 months course over here can set you up well. But doing any formal training in the UK for a life style change, and then expecting to implement it over here, unfortunately wouldn't get you very far in my opinion. You need to do the training here for it to really be of benefit and to allow you to work above the radar.
I certainly don't disagree - I didn't do any apprenticeship, just a 10 month course at the local AFPA. Its like any trade, you only start to learn once you're in a real working environment. I would even go to say that I'm still learning now as they are forever bringing out new stuff and ways of doing things.

However going back to the UK to do a plastering course in order to find a job in France is a complete and utter waste of time, money and effort. The french don't use plasterers anymore. Its all been replaced by Placo drywalls, which is also installed by the painters and decorators - even the joiners are starting to do it so there is no such thing as a plasterer in France anymore. You can still do a course in plastering, but finding a job in pure 100% plastering afterwards is like trying to find a pork chop in Jerusalem.

I would recommend doing a course in electricity - there will always be a demand for a good spark. Not that there isn't a demand in plumbing, but newer techniques/materials means that anybody with half a brain can do their own plumbing. Personally, I think that one day just like plastering is done by painters and joiners, plumbing will be done by electricians.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:05 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Thanks for any help
I know an Aussie plasterer/electrician/carpenter in Lyon. PM me if you want more details. He's great - transformed one of our barns into a fabulous room a few years ago...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.