Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Petition to stay in EU for 180 days

Petition to stay in EU for 180 days

Old Feb 15th 2021, 6:05 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petition to stay in EU for 180 days

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
But you can make the same argument elsewhere tbh. Here in Canada there are retirees and even some remote workers who spend the winters in Florida. Most of them will likely remain at home for most of their time there and will eat food from supermarkets etc and some even drive down in RV's but parts of the local economy in Florida have grown to depend on them.
I can see your point, but what I think you're missing is that retirees and remote workers tend to limit their budgets (even most people on expense accounts) and will spend maybe $100-200 a month on groceries to cook wherever they're staying. Tourists usually go for the whole experience of nice restaurants, doing touristy stuff, and other stuff they wouldn't often do at home because it would get expensive.

As a tourist in Toronto in 2006, I happily paid $50 for a meal for 2 at least 3 nights a week plus the cost of places like Wonderland, Ripley's, and other stuff., as a resident that was an expense we couldn't justify. My fun and food budget as a tourist for two weeks was around $1,000, that's not doable on a weekly basis as a non-tourist.

----------------------------------------------------------

But we digress, this is the France forum.

Tourists will spend more than residents in most cases, and on different things. Tourist area hotels don't tend to have in-room kitchen facilities as this takes revenue away from their restaurants and room service. Such kitchens would also need to meet building regulations.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 15th 2021 at 6:09 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Anyone interested there is a Petition started in the UK that requests the UK Gov to ask the EU to allow stays of 180 days at a stretch rather than the 90day ruling currently in force.
Might be the answer to anyone that does not wish to take out residency but prefer to spend more than 90 days. Not changing the total in a year at 180 but to allow a single visit of 180 days.
Nothing to loose, 8000 already signed:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/562577
I've come back to this post as it has a link to the petition you refer to. At present, it has less than 10,000 signatures.

You'll likely get more people to sign with this one... https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/552263 Rejoining the EU for now means you guys can go back to ignoring EU residency rules with little chance of being sanctioned, and those companies facing ruin because the EU is enforcing the same rules they enforce on other non-members would also be able to trade. A win-win.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Feb 16th 2021 at 12:36 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2021, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

EU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond reputeEU.flag has a reputation beyond repute

Petitions are complete waste of time. There was general election just over a year ago, has everyone forgotten about it?
Got to accept what has happened and move on.
I wish that what happened didnt, but it did.

None should expect that immigration rules will change because of their entitlement complex.
Old Feb 19th 2021, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EU.flag
Petitions are complete waste of time. There was general election just over a year ago, has everyone forgotten about it?
Got to accept what has happened and move on.
I wish that what happened didnt, but it did.
+1
Originally Posted by EU.flag
None should expect that immigration rules will change because of their entitlement complex.
Or just wait/hope for a Labour + SNP + Sinn Fein coalition.
Old Mar 7th 2021, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
...retirees could easily spend 6 months in the Mediterranean every year. That kind of winter tourism during the off-peak season has actually helped to keep some parts of Southern Europe afloat. Remove that option and they will just take their money to Turkey and elsewhere instead.
Is there anywhere that I could find a proof about that statement of yours?
Imho Southern Europe would get by very well without the said retirees.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Known Aim is an unknown quantity at this point

I signed the petition and received a reply from HMG.

It ain't going to happen, lots of other things to be considered with higher priority.
Old Mar 8th 2021, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Known Aim
I signed the petition and received a reply from HMG.

It ain't going to happen, lots of other things to be considered with higher priority.
Absolutely. Finishing redecorating Boris 'n' Carrie's pad is priority right now.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ETwenthome
Well it has, because before Brexit nobody checked and folks were able to bend the rules to suit themselves, either knowing they would get away with it or in some cases apparently not even knowing that they were bending the rules.
Since Brexit they can't. That's why it's suddenly become an issue.
IF they now have to become law abiding citizens then that's a good issue to have, that has to be a bonus point to Brexit
Old Mar 9th 2021, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait until the EU bigwigs realise they have nowhere else to ship their unemployed to and then they'll be a bit more open to renegotiations.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
Wait until the EU bigwigs realise they have nowhere else to ship their unemployed to and then they'll be a bit more open to renegotiations.

I don't follow you.
It's the UK that ruled out any continuation of freedom of movement, and I don't see any likelihood of the UK reopening negotiations on it.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
You mean ship to the UK, which is full of employment opportunities, workers' rights, decent pay, high living standards and cohesive and friendly society?!
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Known Aim is an unknown quantity at this point

As the UK currently offers 180 days without a Visa, there is a strong feeling that reciprocity should be offered by Schengen states. It is a part of Spain’s thinking, but they are bound by Schengen rules.

Residential tourism is very big in southern Spain, I am one of them, but currently OK with my French status within the EU. I have two sets of friends with properties in the Canaries and they have now become severely limited and that will certainly impact on local restaurants and shops. There are a heck of a lot of snowbirds heading south for the winter these days.

Spain is very concerned about the issue, however they also provide a Golden Visa if you spend enough on a property. That is why so many Russians, Americans, Irish, Swiss and Arabs also have a property there and can come and go as they please.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Known Aim
As the UK currently offers 180 days without a Visa, there is a strong feeling that reciprocity should be offered by Schengen states. It is a part of Spain’s thinking, but they are bound by Schengen rules.

Residential tourism is very big in southern Spain, I am one of them, but currently OK with my French status within the EU. I have two sets of friends with properties in the Canaries and they have now become severely limited and that will certainly impact on local restaurants and shops. There are a heck of a lot of snowbirds heading south for the winter these days.

Spain is very concerned about the issue, however they also provide a Golden Visa if you spend enough on a property. That is why so many Russians, Americans, Irish, Swiss and Arabs also have a property there and can come and go as they please.
I'm in Ireland and own property in Spain and you are hopefully aware that Ireland is in the EU, so no Golden Visa required? Most people who aren't retired only have on average 6 weeks off anyway and those retired British with 2nd homes will still go for shorter periods. Tourism was always a tough market, so I don't see any issue there. Instead of selling English Breakfast they might sell Bratwurst mit Pommes and it's always been like this.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I still haven't really grasped why people are feeling so victimised.
If you want to visit Spain for longer than 90/180, all you need is a Schengen visa which is easy to get. I guess the difference with eg Spain's Golden Visa is that it gives you residence rights, but as a visitor you never had those rights in the past so why would you need them now. Am I missing something?
Reciprocity - but surely Brexit was all about being able to do your own thing and not having to align with other countries' rules. I think if you check you'll find that there are other countries where the UK's 180 days for visitors is not reciprocated, US, Australia etc, and nobody seems to have a problem with that, they accept that each countries sets its own rules. The EU's rules on TCN visitors were established way back, it's not like they made them up last year, and likewise the UK's rules are long established - the UK isn't doing the EU a special favour by giving them 180 days. In fact the UK has made it clear that it intends to treat EU citizens just like other TCNs and not give them any special privileges. And yet people still seem to think the EU should give Brits special privileges. I don't get it.
UK residents want to stay longer than 90/180 in Schengen, they get a Schengen visa, what's so hard.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Mar 10th 2021 at 8:58 am.
Old Mar 10th 2021, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

@ETwenthome, a little off-topic but worthy of mention. I see you've made it to the hall of fame in the 'BE members in their movies' thread, which if nothing else at least allows a stay in BExpats for 180+ days.
Congratulations!
Link HERE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.