Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

PCR test 72 hours before returning to UK

PCR test 72 hours before returning to UK

Old Jul 10th 2021, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice
Default PCR test 72 hours before returning to UK

This is currently a requirement. Can I get it done in France in a way that will be acceptable to UK authorities? Thanks!
Old Jul 11th 2021, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PCR test 72 hours before returning to UK

I'm sure the answer is Yes, because lots of people travel from France to the UK so they must all manage it.
Unfortunately none of us seem to know where to suggest you go to get it done, maybe ask at a chemist or a medical laboratory?
I read in the news that since 1st July non French residents no longer get PCR tests for free in France like they used to. I can't remember what the fee has been set at but I do remember observing that it's a lot less than the going rate in the UK for the same test. I paid over £100 for a PCR test in the UK in March, and I think France was proposing to charge 50-odd euros. Bargain!
Old Jul 11th 2021, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

Thanks, ET. I did think someone would say: "Yes, I've done that at my local farmacie." Anyway in 5 weeks time (which is my timescale) the rules may all be different.

Today (in order to get to France from UK) I've driven 60 miles each way to Dorking to get a PCR test for £109. It's a nightmare. Boots do cheaper tests, but getting the results is airily dismissed as "typically within 48 hours". With a 72 hour deadline that's not good enough.

Some people are making a fortune out of this - they're the equivalent of the "hard-faced men who did well out of the war" in 1918!
Old Jul 11th 2021, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

PS.

I did discover on gov.uk such tests (to re-enter UK) will be accepted in English, French and Spanish only. No translations
Old Jul 11th 2021, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel.b
Today (in order to get to France from UK) I've driven 60 miles each way to Dorking to get a PCR test for £109. It's a nightmare. Boots do cheaper tests, but getting the results is airily dismissed as "typically within 48 hours". With a 72 hour deadline that's not good enough.

Some people are making a fortune out of this - they're the equivalent of the "hard-faced men who did well out of the war" in 1918!
Yes I had to drive a similar distance to Cardiff to get mine done, for a similar price. I seem to remember wasting an entire afternoon on the Boots website trying and failing to book a test, I can't remember what exactly the issue was but I remember screaming at the computer many times. But the place I eventually found in Cardiff actually seemed very good and I got the results back in about 24 hours. From a lab in Northern Ireland, figure that one out... But it is a rip off.

Actually I have just this minute remembered seeing on another forum recently where someone said they had a test done at a lab in Coquelles near the Eurotunnel terminal, I guess it is probably this one Laboratoire d'analyses Coquelles | BIOPATH Laboratoires - Coquelles so that might be a possibility if you're using the tunnel. Although you might not want to kick your heels in Coquelles for 24 hours.

But as you say, things can change in five weeks. You might not need it.