Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Paying french parking fine in UK

Paying french parking fine in UK

Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

parkh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying french parking fine in UK

I live in the UK...I was in Paris last week and got a parking fine (Grrrrr!). Have lost the fine. I was wondering what happens if I cant find it--and dont pay it? Would prefer to pay it but cant face trying to find details/contact French parking authorities etc. Does anyone know what happens if you dont pay? Can thy use registration details to take action when/if you visit France again? Have heard various rumours...
Thanks

FB
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Re: Paying french parking fine in UK

In the sleepy town where I live, parking tickets are only issued by the municipal police,controlled by the Mairie and are only 11 euros for non payment or overstay on a payant unless you are on a no parking line or some other naughty breach when it is 35 euros. This can be paid at any tabac.
However they have no facility to trace international plates, including Dutch/Spanish/Italian who never pay. The Mairie will not pursue you.

Paris may be different altogether as the City would have an impossible problem if they could not enforce parking violations. Its not just Brits but other Europeans who park free in town. There are constant newspaper reports of reciprocal agreement between France and UK on this subject and I think for speeding and other serious offences they have the ability to track you down.
I have been to UK in a French reg car and ignored parking tickets but like you I am never too sure about the reach of Big Brother.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I've spoken with my partner about this issue a few times. They do like to dish out tickets in Paris (mainly because people park on zebra crossings and the like, because there's nowhere to park). I just can't think they'd have the resources or the inclination to track down somebody in the UK if it was your own vehicle and not a hire car. I could be wrong, but I know if it were me I probably wouldn't be too concerned (if I hadn't planned on returning to France of course). You can always claim you don't speak the language and thought they'd handed you a slip to compliment you on your good driving.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

parkh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the good advice.

I think I will be back in France soon--and I guess thats my worry.

I could of course have an attack of speaking "english only"

FB
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by parkh
I live in the UK...I was in Paris last week and got a parking fine (Grrrrr!). Have lost the fine. I was wondering what happens if I cant find it--and dont pay it? Would prefer to pay it but cant face trying to find details/contact French parking authorities etc. Does anyone know what happens if you dont pay? Can thy use registration details to take action when/if you visit France again? Have heard various rumours...
Thanks

FB
I wouldn't worry about it - I imagine most foreigners ignore the fines anyway. Its only when you personally get stopped by La Police Nationale or La Gendarmerie that you may have to take things a little more seriously. I hate paris, its a nightmare for parking (not to mention driving altogether) - apparently its the "done thing" to ram into cars while parking in a tight spot (most spots in paris are tight and may not even exist at all but you'll always see someone parked there). I've actually seen with my own eyes a car parked up on steps in Paris - incredible, in the capital they really aren't like the rest of the country, especially in the east.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
I wouldn't worry about it - I imagine most foreigners ignore the fines anyway. Its only when you personally get stopped by La Police Nationale or La Gendarmerie that you may have to take things a little more seriously. I hate paris, its a nightmare for parking (not to mention driving altogether) - apparently its the "done thing" to ram into cars while parking in a tight spot (most spots in paris are tight and may not even exist at all but you'll always see someone parked there). I've actually seen with my own eyes a car parked up on steps in Paris - incredible, in the capital they really aren't like the rest of the country, especially in the east.
Every day I see a car parking and it's the done thing to bump the car in front and behind - that's how the driver knows how much space they've got. I've seen drivers even sit in a stationary car as they're being hit by a car trying to park up and they don't even bother to get out and have a look.
A pet peeve of mine is when they park on zebra crossings, which they do all the time. When I'm coming back with a heavy trolley from the supermarket, I can't fly it off the curbs, and I'd have little remorse if my trolley were to scrape along the edge of the paintwork. Makes me wonder how I'll cope with a pushchair.
You'd also be surprised how frequently I see cars reversing over zebra crossings whilst you're trying to cross - happens at least a couple of times a week to me.
When my partner's Dad came over to visit we had to keep running out the house every 2 hours to top up the meter - there was no where else he could have parked without getting a bus back to the apartment. Parking is a real nightmare here (fortunately I don't have a car), and the driver's are certifiable headcases. I like playing chicken with them on zebra crossings.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:13 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

True, I see cars bumping each other in Paris on a daily basis too. You are actually advised by many to leave you car in neutral and only loosely engage the handbrake to allow other cars to re-position you. A bit nuts but necessary in most of Paris.

When we moved here in Feb 08 we needed to buy a car as I handed back my company car when I left the UK. The advice I was given was good - do not buy a new car or any car that you will be precious about or you will be regularly disappointed as someone else dents or scratches it. We live out in the suburbs (Le Vesinet) and here we park on our street which is free parking, very quiet, hardly any traffic or cars parked as the street is mostly large houses with enough driveway for 10 cars each. We are unlucky that our gate is just too narrow for our car, a supermini would fit but we need a family estate so have to park on the street. Despite it being so quiet, our car is still picking up dents and scratches, someone knocked our wing mirror off despite it being a wide quiet road. One day we came out to find the only other car parked in the whole street touching our bumper and a fresh dent in it as a result, I think they must have slammed into our car. Parisiens just can't help it!

Anyway, spare a thought for me as I have started commuting by scooter the 15km from Le Vesinet to my work off the Champs Elysees. Never before have I felt like I have a target painted on my back. Its bloody good fun though!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
True, I see cars bumping each other in Paris on a daily basis too. You are actually advised by many to leave you car in neutral and only loosely engage the handbrake to allow other cars to re-position you. A bit nuts but necessary in most of Paris.

When we moved here in Feb 08 we needed to buy a car as I handed back my company car when I left the UK. The advice I was given was good - do not buy a new car or any car that you will be precious about or you will be regularly disappointed as someone else dents or scratches it. We live out in the suburbs (Le Vesinet) and here we park on our street which is free parking, very quiet, hardly any traffic or cars parked as the street is mostly large houses with enough driveway for 10 cars each. We are unlucky that our gate is just too narrow for our car, a supermini would fit but we need a family estate so have to park on the street. Despite it being so quiet, our car is still picking up dents and scratches, someone knocked our wing mirror off despite it being a wide quiet road. One day we came out to find the only other car parked in the whole street touching our bumper and a fresh dent in it as a result, I think they must have slammed into our car. Parisiens just can't help it!

Anyway, spare a thought for me as I have started commuting by scooter the 15km from Le Vesinet to my work off the Champs Elysees. Never before have I felt like I have a target painted on my back. Its bloody good fun though!
takes guts to use a scooter in paris - rather you than me!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 4:55 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I'm experimenting with the scooter. Got one of those 3 wheeler Piaggio MP3's as its more stable and much better braking than a normal scooter. It is quite scary and you certainly need your wits about you.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is quite scary and you certainly need your wits about you.
I bet you do!
I have a small 125 motorbike and even in Dijon its bad enough - it's a short cut to the coffin as my old man would say .....
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Stay safe, my brother used to ride a scooter to work back in the UK and within a few months he'd come off twice, and nearly got side-wiped by a car on a roundabout which then crashed to avoid him (completely the other person's fault - old person with bad vision driving without glasses!).

There's some very expensive cars around my area, but they get bashed with the same indifference. I rarely see a registration plate without damage.

Even a smart car with ample parking space, doesn't ensure an easy park for some folk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCtoPmeaHo

And this one is supposed to be parking in Paris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEyWwpmtCE

And if you want to see REAL tight bumper to bumper parking in the city, check out this one!! Incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvu2CXX5dWk

And you mentioned the loose handbrake idea - see how it's utilised to good effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nif2g...eature=related

Last edited by G-J-B; Mar 4th 2009 at 7:25 am.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by le plumber
I bet you do!
I have a small 125 motorbike and even in Dijon its bad enough - it's a short cut to the coffin as my old man would say .....
I work such long hours and became so frustrated with the trains that I decided to accept the dangers and get a scooter. Most of my colleagues in Paris commute by scooter and yes its dangerous but at least in Paris the roads tend to be wide and there are thousands of scooters on the road so drivers tend to be more aware of them than in the UK. I'm going to try it for a few months and if I feel the danger is just too high then I'll give it up and we will to move closer to the centre and for the sake of my sanity sacrifice our lovely suburban house/garden for a city apartment.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:54 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Stay safe, my brother used to ride a scooter to work back in the UK and within a few months he'd come off twice, and nearly got side-wiped by a car on a roundabout which then crashed to avoid him (completely the other person's fault - old person with bad vision driving without glasses!).

There's some very expensive cars around my area, but they get bashed with the same indifference. I rarely see a registration plate without damage.

Even a smart car with ample parking space, doesn't ensure an easy park for some folk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cCtoPmeaHo

And this one is supposed to be parking in Paris.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArEyWwpmtCE

And if you want to see REAL tight bumper to bumper parking in the city, check out this one!! Incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvu2CXX5dWk

And you mentioned the loose handbrake idea - see how it's utilised to good effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nif2g...eature=related
The second one is hilarious - but Gav my sweet, that's a bloke for sure!

I'm just wondering how the Bejesus they ever get out - terrifying, or maybe some canny Brit is starting a business with a crane to lift em out .....
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

You know, I remember watching 'Tomorrow's world' (there's a blast from the past) as a kid, and they had this car where the wheels could flip 90 degrees, so you could drive out sideways. I'll see if the idea has a patent, and then I'll make my fortune that way!

I watched a granny coming out of a UK leisure centre car park once. She pulled forward, hit the car in front, reversed, hit the car behind, pulled forward again and hit the car a second time before she managed to escape!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by G-J-B
You know, I remember watching 'Tomorrow's world' (there's a blast from the past) as a kid, and they had this car where the wheels could flip 90 degrees, so you could drive out sideways. I'll see if the idea has a patent, and then I'll make my fortune that way!

I watched a granny coming out of a UK leisure centre car park once. She pulled forward, hit the car in front, reversed, hit the car behind, pulled forward again and hit the car a second time before she managed to escape!
Certainly is a blast from the past - I was a kid too!!
I remember that episode of Tommorrows world - I think it was on a BMW, but I dont think that it was a complete 90° but certainly enough to get out of tight spots.
Can't say I've ever seen a BMW or any other car with this technology - not sure that the idea took off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.