Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Paying bills in france

Paying bills in france

Old Sep 27th 2015, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Annie16108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying bills in france

I am a UK citizen. I am thinking of buying a small place in France to spend some time in. I have an account with hsbc in the uk in pounds. I am paid in euro which is converted to pounds. How would I best pay bills such as electricity, habitation tax, Internet etc.? Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying bills in france

Originally Posted by Annie16108
I am a UK citizen. I am thinking of buying a small place in France to spend some time in. I have an account with hsbc in the uk in pounds. I am paid in euro which is converted to pounds. How would I best pay bills such as electricity, habitation tax, Internet etc.? Thanks
You can set up online billing and payment for all of these.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You can set up online billing and payment for all of these.
I'm not sure you can do that from a UK bank account though.

The OP could open a euro account with HSBC in France (no fees involved if s/he is a Premier customer, moderate fees if s/he's not) and then set up direct debits from the euro account for all those things.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not sure you can do that from a UK bank account though.

The OP could open a euro account with HSBC in France (no fees involved if s/he is a Premier customer, moderate fees if s/he's not) and then set up direct debits from the euro account for all those things.
Possibly not anymore, although I did, for several years, manage to do so (from a UK then a CDN one). It *did* require some major hoop-jumping /tearing-of-hair to get the set up in place.
Old Sep 27th 2015, 4:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
I see you have also posted in the Italy forum, giving extra info. Where would your principal place of residence be?
When my former neighbours moved back to the UK and before they sold their house, they paid the EdF and landline, Taxes Foncière & d'Habitation, etc... bills by international transfer from their UK bank. My deceased neighbour's English heirs are also paying in this way, while waiting to sell the house. Neither neighbour had internet, so no idea there.... Hope this helps!
Old Sep 27th 2015, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. My principal place of residence is india. Which region are your neighbours selling a house in. Maybe I could take a look!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. My principal place of residence is india. Which region are your neighbours selling a house in. Maybe I could take a look!
Hi, it's a 3-4 bedroomed house in a small hamlet in North Hérault, with big garden and veg garden and a non-constructible 1-hectare field adjoining. 40 km from Béziers with TGV and airport serving Paris and some European low-cost airports, 62 km from Montpellier likewise with TGV and similar low-cost destinations. As the hamlet is isolated, 5 km from the nearest shops and services, you'd need a car.
If the isolated nature of the property doesn't put you off, I can let you have one of the Immos' links for photos, and then the heirs' details if you're still interested!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much. I am looking for something a little nearer to shops
Old Sep 28th 2015, 10:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you so much. I am looking for something a little nearer to shops
I understand!!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 4:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

nicktonight on the Italy forum has raised a pertinent point valid in France, too. You would be leaving your property unattended for many months and wouldn't know the neighbours well enough to ask them to deal with any problems in your absence.
Far simpler to rent a furnished place (services included) short-term whenever you're back in Europe, and decide later where to come more permanently?

Last edited by dmu; Sep 28th 2015 at 4:43 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I had considered doing this until I knew I was going to get a little money to buy a place... I have never owned a place before so it is rather tempting to rush into things... I do know people in both france and italy who would be able to keep an eye on the place for me... tho' maybe they don'g live in that village...
Old Sep 30th 2015, 6:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I had considered doing this until I knew I was going to get a little money to buy a place... I have never owned a place before so it is rather tempting to rush into things... I do know people in both france and italy who would be able to keep an eye on the place for me... tho' maybe they don'g live in that village...
Just seen on the Italy forum how much cash you have available. Sorry to say that you won't get much for that in France, esp. with outside space, and you'd have to be prepared to pay for the necessary work.
Couldn't your friends in France look around for you in their respective towns? (Likewise those in Italy?). Then at least you'd already have some one on the spot to "manage" your property in your absence.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't rush into buying a property just because you can Owning a house is a long-term commitment, so be sure that it's a commitment you really want. Property isn't a good financial investment in France, you have to be lucky/very smart to make a profit and many people make a loss when they sell. And a house that nobody wants to buy, can turn into a millstone round your neck.

If you have money, there are better ways of investing it. If it earns you enough interest to pay the rent on a nice property, you can have the pleasure without the pain.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your advice. I do need somewhere I can call 'home' and go to when I need a break...
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Just seen on the Italy forum how much cash you have available. Sorry to say that you won't get much for that in France, esp. with outside space, and you'd have to be prepared to pay for the necessary work.
Couldn't your friends in France look around for you in their respective towns? (Likewise those in Italy?). Then at least you'd already have some one on the spot to "manage" your property in your absence.
Thanks... I have seen lots of places on Rightmove for that amount and even less. Lots in the north, some in the south?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.