Reload this Page >

Paying bills in france

Paying bills in france

Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Annie16108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paying bills in france

Originally Posted by Touraine
Personally I think your budget is way too small for a house so I think a studio or a T1 is the best you can get. I would not buy a nonsense in Charante, Cruse or any other isolated area of France. There is no point.

You can buy small studios in resorts like La Grande Motte near Montpellier which is right near the sea. La Grande Motte is a popular French town/resort and it is thriving in the summer.

Another idea is to go for a small studio in a ski resort like Alpe d'huez or a town at the base of a ski resort for example like Bourg d Oisans. Summer in the mountains is fantastic if you are an outdoor type. There is someone on this forum I believe who lives in Bourg D Oisans who teaches English. They may give you some good advice.

The thing is that if you only living in it during the summer you can rent it out on a short term let over the winter to a ski instructor or whoever. Or rent it out weekly. That will give you an income that will pay for all the charges and taxes ect so you can live in it for free in the summer.

You need however to be careful on charges. That is a killer when buying studios/flats.

If you are looking for a long term home well that is something different.

1 bedroom apartment for sale in Languedoc-Roussillon, Pyrénées-Orientales, Amélie-les-Bains-Palalda, France

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 9:50 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annie16108

Any thoughts?
Yes you should stop looking on Rightmove you need to look on French immobilier websites because houses tend to be cheaper on the French sites

http://www.century21-cerisiers-ceret...ail/952788592/

I will charge you a commission soon :-)

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 2nd 2015 at 9:56 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

That sort of thing...but as said forget rightmove.

How about these in 'GÉRARDMER '. Lovely place in the Vosges.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=gerar...IVQkwaCh1zLgjy)

Vente appartement 2 pièces Gérardmer - appartement F2/T2/2 pièces 46m² 76340€

Investissement appartement 2 pièces Gérardmer - appartement F2/T2/2 pièces 30m² 84800€

Vente appartement 2 pièces Gérardmer - appartement F2/T2/2 pièces 31m² 95000€

LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE IN CHARGES PER YEAR !!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 1:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

As the name suggests, Amélie-les-Bains is a spa town, which should mean quite dynamic most of the year. But it is also quite a way up a valley from Perpignan and the Med, which complicates access if you haven't got a car.
@Touraine. La Grande Motte is dead in the winter....
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

chuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud ofchuckles67 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Possibly not anymore, although I did, for several years, manage to do so (from a UK then a CDN one). It *did* require some major hoop-jumping /tearing-of-hair to get the set up in place.
I set up an HSBC account in France three months ago through Premier. Form filling and proof needed, but straightforward.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
As the name suggests, Amélie-les-Bains is a spa town, which should mean quite dynamic most of the year. But it is also quite a way up a valley from Perpignan and the Med, which complicates access if you haven't got a car.
@Touraine. La Grande Motte is dead in the winter....
The OP is only going to live there in the summer. If you don't have a car it is quite a good option on (lets be clear) a very tight budget.

To be fair, the whole of France is dead in the winter apart from cities and ski resorts.

I still think that there must be cheaper EU counties to move to than France. Living/surviving in France is expensive and you could argue not worth the price.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, lovely. Where are the charges written?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chuckles67
I set up an HSBC account in France three months ago through Premier. Form filling and proof needed, but straightforward.
Thanks. Did you arrange it in France or by phone? Do you pay bills from it?
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, lovely. Where are the charges written?
If you look carefully at the adverts....

1st Flat = 2108 Euros Per year

2nd Flat = 990 Euros Per year

3rd Flat = 586 Euros Per Year

The 3rd flat is the most expensive but the cheapest in charges

Charges can include water and heating. It varies from flat to flat.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Oh my!
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh my!
If you knock the first flat down by 20,000 euros (it looks like it has been on sale since last year) that is your charges paid for the next ten years. I reckon the reason it has not be sold is because of the charges.