Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Our journey to remain in the EU post Brexit (if needed)\

Our journey to remain in the EU post Brexit (if needed)\

Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Our journey to remain in the EU post Brexit (if needed)\

Today we received a Copie Integrale of the missus's French Birth Certificate, registered in Tanganyika in 1951. from Nantes.

Can my freons advise as to next steps to get her a French passport? Does she first have to get a CNF or can she apply directly for citizenship?

Please be cognisant that we are currently resident ( for tax purposes) in the UK.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:09 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our journey to remain in the EU post Brexit (if needed)\

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Today we received a Copie Integrale of the missus's French Birth Certificate, registered in Tanganyika in 1951. from Nantes.

Can my freons advise as to next steps to get her a French passport? Does she first have to get a CNF or can she apply directly for citizenship?

Please be cognisant that we are currently resident ( for tax purposes) in the UK.
I probably know the answer to this but... might it be faster to get her a UK passport, then 'jump'? Or is that idea a non-starter?
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F14929
tells you what documents are needed. Don't let things drag, as the Birth Certificate won't be valid 3 months after issue.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1051
says the CNF is issued by a Tribunal and you need it when applying for a Passport, therefore obtain it first. I actually did a lot of such paperwork when I first applied, but I've repressed it all since, and can't remember....

Hope this helps, but the Mairie will be even more helpful and, if it's like ours, will probably send the completed Application to the Préfecture with others.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

I thought a Carte d'Identité is enough to prove citizenship and related rights, and a UK (or other) passport can be used for travelling? Armed with the French birth certificate and usual stack of other documents, go dowm to the Mairie and they will walk you through the process - a form to fill out and attach the right supporting documents and then wait a month for the card to arrive. At least that is what I did and have not bothered with the passport as I already have 2 from other countries which meet my needs. Yes, the certificate from Nantes is only valid 3 months from issue so don't hang around too long.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Does she first have to get a CNF or can she apply directly for citizenship?
Presumably if she has a French birth certificate then that means she was born a French citizenship? In which case she has nothing to apply for, she is a French citizen. What papers she feels she needs - cart d'identité, passport - is entirely up to her. A carte d'identité will serve most purposes as Southbound says.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
I thought a Carte d'Identité is enough to prove citizenship and related rights, and a UK (or other) passport can be used for travelling? Armed with the French birth certificate and usual stack of other documents, go dowm to the Mairie and they will walk you through the process - a form to fill out and attach the right supporting documents and then wait a month for the card to arrive. At least that is what I did and have not bothered with the passport as I already have 2 from other countries which meet my needs. Yes, the certificate from Nantes is only valid 3 months from issue so don't hang around too long.
Yes, but Novo specifically said Passport. What's more, a Carte d'Identité is free....
Not sure why I obtained/renewed my French Passport, having a valid UK one. Maybe at the time I didn't fancy being in a separate line at the Airport when travelling afar with OH.
Not all French people have one, the Cd'I being sufficient for ID when living/travelling within Europe.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Presumably if she has a French birth certificate then that means she was born a French citizenship? In which case she has nothing to apply for, she is a French citizen. What papers she feels she needs - cart d'identité, passport - is entirely up to her. A carte d'identité will serve most purposes as Southbound says.
Aaaah, I forgot that Novo's in-laws are French.... The Mairie will provide the application form and explain all!
Old Jul 20th 2018, 11:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Originally Posted by dmu
Aaaah, I forgot that Novo's in-laws are French.... The Mairie will provide the application form and explain all!
Thank you all for these replies. Being an ignorant foreigner, I wasn't aware that a carte d'identité is all she needs.The Mairie is on the menu now.

Wish us luck.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 11:26 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dmu
Only one of them :-) .... and of course all those pesky cousins.
Old Jul 20th 2018, 2:48 pm
Born again atheist

I've found out that our Mairie is "no longer competent" to issue Cartes d'Identités but the Mairie of a neighbouring (larger) town just over the border with Manche can do the job.

I think we'll give it a shot on Monday afternoon. Fingers crossed.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 3:10 pm
Born again atheist

OK. All went very smoothly at the Mairie in Carentan. We now have an application for the OH's Carte d'Identité electronically on its way to the Prefecture in Caen. The only glitch was explaining to the (helpful) staffer why the Copie Intégrale of her French birth certificate didn't have an entry recording her marriage to me (which was in England in 1972) and further that our British marriage certificate was an original and couldn't be updated every so often.

Fingers crossed we were told we should expect a result within 3 weeks.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 9:50 pm
Born again atheist

Update: a bit of a set-back: We got a call from the Mairie in Carentan on Wednesday, saying that the Prefecture requested our marriage certificate in a copy dated less than three months old and a "mention" that my wife is a French Citizen. Oi whey. We pointed out that what we were trying to do was establish that she is a French citizen by applying for a Cd'I based on mother being French, born in France as were her grandparents and countless generations before on her mother's side.

So we went back to the Mairie and explained again to a different staffer that a British marriage certificate is a "document unique" and can't be updated. She accepted that and after a phone call to the Prefecture, so did they. OK.

Both the Mairie and the Prefecture agreed that having a French Birth Certificate was "likely" enough to prove her to be French, the Prefecture insisted that we get a "mention" that my wife is French from the "Ministre pour Europe et des Affaires Etrangers", Department this and department that.

So, we have to send the scanned docs to them so that they can confirm (or not) that she is French by birth

Maybe it would be simpler justt to go back to Canada after Brexit and freeze our arses off for the rest of our lives.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Aug 3rd 2018 at 9:56 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 10:02 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Update: a bit of a set-back: We got a call from the Mairie in Carentan on Wednesday, saying that the Prefecture requested our marriage certificate in a copy dated less than three months old and a "mention" that my wife is a French Citizen. Oi whey. We pointed out that what we were trying to do was establish that she is a French citizen by applying for a Cd'I based on mother being French, born in France as were her grandparents and countless generations before on her mother's side.

So we went back to the Mairie and explained again to a different staffer that a British marriage certificate is a "document unique" and can't be updated. She accepted that and after a phone call to the Prefecture, so did they. OK.

Both the Mairie and the Prefecture agreed that having a French Birth Certificate was "likely" enough to prove her to be French, the Prefecture insisted that we get a "mention" that my wife is French from the "Ministre pour Europe et des Affaires Etrangers", Department this and department that.

So, we have to send the scanned docs to them so that they can confirm (or not) that she is French by birth

Maybe it would be simpler justt to go back to Canada after Brexit and freeze our arses off for the rest of our lives.
No, this is looking good, at least with both the Mairie and Prefecture using the term 'likely' this is incredibly positive.

Applying this to Suisse Romande, I would say that you're now about 30% there...
Old Aug 3rd 2018, 11:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

C’est la France.
Old Aug 4th 2018, 6:41 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What was the French expression? Don't say "normalement"!!!
Best of luck, but, as BiP says, c'est la France....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.