Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Orange Livebox L'Internet?

Orange Livebox L'Internet?

Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

n123b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Orange Livebox L'Internet?

Anyone else got this and experiencing a lot slower speed than what it should be? Ours (me n 2 guys) is meant to be 18mb but it's only going at about 1mb in terms of downloads and an even slower time at certain periods just to load pages. Wondered if anyone else was in the same boat?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 7:27 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Orange Livebox L'Internet?

Originally Posted by n123b
Anyone else got this and experiencing a lot slower speed than what it should be? Ours (me n 2 guys) is meant to be 18mb but it's only going at about 1mb in terms of downloads and an even slower time at certain periods just to load pages. Wondered if anyone else was in the same boat?
If you have 18 Meg then I can surmise that you are in a town or village, Anyway try rebooting the livebox if you are using wifi make sure it secure and no one else is piggybacking. If you dont use Wifi make sure it is switched off. But Broadband in higher habited areas is always a lot slower than advertised due to the contention ratios involved you and 40 other customers hit the dslam at the same time and the is only so much bandwidth between the dslam and higher order network
Old Oct 5th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, ours slows down from time to time, very slow over the weekend , my friend down the road has the same problem, she reckons it is Orange "doing work", however she recently reinstalled and it works better and faster than ever. Ours however is a Livebox Pro, no idea what the difference is, apart, maybe from the size of the bill
I can't pretend I understand all this technical stuff though I have a Wifi capable printer but gave up trying to install it via Wifi, it is connected by USB, mind you my brother is a super-duper qualified systems engineer and couldn't set his up either
Sue
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Yes, ours slows down from time to time, very slow over the weekend , my friend down the road has the same problem, she reckons it is Orange "doing work", however she recently reinstalled and it works better and faster than ever. Ours however is a Livebox Pro, no idea what the difference is, apart, maybe from the size of the bill
I can't pretend I understand all this technical stuff though I have a Wifi capable printer but gave up trying to install it via Wifi, it is connected by USB, mind you my brother is a super-duper qualified systems engineer and couldn't set his up either
Sue
A live box is a live box, No difference other than billing for the Pro version. As you have said slow over the weekend, Thats because everyone is at home surfing or using the Internet TV which chews up bandwidth.

Which has reminded me question for n123b have you got the internet TV option or the Voip option through the Live Box because both of these options will slow down other traffic, Basically TV and Voip services get priority through the live box. If its really bugging you then install a bandwidth monitor to see whats eating up bandwidth locally. Also disable automatic updating for all the operating systems as with it on service packs get downloaded thus hammering bandwidth.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
A live box is a live box, No difference other than billing for the Pro version. As you have said slow over the weekend, Thats because everyone is at home surfing or using the Internet TV which chews up bandwidth.

Which has reminded me question for n123b have you got the internet TV option or the Voip option through the Live Box because both of these options will slow down other traffic, Basically TV and Voip services get priority through the live box. If its really bugging you then install a bandwidth monitor to see whats eating up bandwidth locally. Also disable automatic updating for all the operating systems as with it on service packs get downloaded thus hammering bandwidth.
We have the internet tv option, and we all just use the wireless connection, doubt anyone would be piggybacking as it's a 25 digit password that's impossible to guess, which bandwith monitor program would you recommend for Mac?

EDIT: Just a further note, these were the test results i just got with 2 of us using the internet at the moment -

Last edited by n123b; Oct 5th 2009 at 12:30 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by n123b
We have the internet tv option, and we all just use the wireless connection, doubt anyone would be piggybacking as it's a 25 digit password that's impossible to guess, which bandwith monitor program would you recommend for Mac?

EDIT: Just a further note, these were the test results i just got with 2 of us using the internet at the moment -

http://www.speedtest.net/result/583429319.png
Try removing the TV box from the live box and repeat the test, It should improve a bit, As for not being able to piggyback a secure livebox. Due to the liveboxes crappy nature it only takes about 10 mins to hack the signal and gain access have a read of THIS im only posting it for informational purposes.

This is what a good connection speed is

Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Try removing the TV box from the live box and repeat the test, It should improve a bit, As for not being able to piggyback a secure livebox. Due to the liveboxes crappy nature it only takes about 10 mins to hack the signal and gain access have a read of THIS im only posting it for informational purposes.

This is what a good connection speed is

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/d...Picture_15.jpg
Oh right, no it's not plugged into the livebox, we just have the livebox plugged in to the wall which we get the signal through. So i don't know if you have any other suggestions, oh and i just tried testing the speed with just me online and it only got a score of 1.88mbps....awesome