Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

options for spending a couple of years in France

options for spending a couple of years in France

Old Jul 15th 2019, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default options for spending a couple of years in France

Evening all
I'm a Brit expat with NZ PR been living in NZ for 11 years and have been married to my Kiwi wife for 5 years
My youngest son now lives in Pantin and I'm wondering what my options are to allow my wife and I to spend a year or two (max) in France
to be nearer to him. We dont wish to stay permanently just a couple of years. We would be supporting ourselves financially and have health insurance. I guess its just an extended holiday. Is this something that would be possible, what visas or permits should I be looking at, are there any financial or other conditions we would need to meet ??
Thanks

Last edited by Justcol; Jul 15th 2019 at 7:53 am.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 9:37 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: options for spending a couple of years in France

Originally Posted by Justcol
Evening all
I'm a Brit expat with NZ PR been living in NZ for 11 years and have been married to my Kiwi wife for 5 years
My youngest son now lives in Pantin and I'm wondering what my options are to allow my wife and I to spend a year or two (max) in France
to be nearer to him. We dont wish to stay permanently just a couple of years. We would be supporting ourselves financially and have health insurance. I guess its just an extended holiday. Is this something that would be possible, what visas or permits should I be looking at, are there any financial or other conditions we would need to meet ??
Thanks
Hi, presumably your youngest son is a UK citizen from an earlier marriage, i.e. hasn't needed a Visa and can't advise?
Your wife would need some sort of Visa for such a long stay, and even you might need one, depending on how Brexit turns out.
I'd enquire at the French Consulate in NZ if I were you, to see what conditions your wife and potentially you would have to comply with.
https://nz.ambafrance.org/Visa-appli...in-New-Zealand
HTH
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-Brexit your wife can piggyback on your freedom of movement rights which may or may not be safeguarded post-Brexit. If you move after Brexit you’ll have to see what the French government’s policy will be towards British retirees.

Obtaining NZ citizenship before you leave would be a wise move if you only intend to spend a few years in France.
Old Jul 18th 2019, 7:13 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Pre-Brexit your wife can piggyback on your freedom of movement rights which may or may not be safeguarded post-Brexit. If you move after Brexit you’ll have to see what the French government’s policy will be towards British retirees.

Obtaining NZ citizenship before you leave would be a wise move if you only intend to spend a few years in France.
Maybe the OP could give an idea of when their visit is planned (pre- or post-Brexit), and what his own "status" in France would be, irrespective of Brexit (retired, "inactif", employed and on a sabbatical,....).
As an aside, he should also look into the question of renting, if they aren't staying at his son's. French landlords require proof of a regular income 3-4 times more than the monthly rent, unless the tenants have the commitment of a guarantor. A healthy bank balance doesn't count... Also, rentals are usually unfurnished, although furnished ones do exist. But his son will be giving all practical info of this type....
Old Aug 31st 2019, 6:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dmu
Maybe the OP could give an idea of when their visit is planned (pre- or post-Brexit), and what his own "status" in France would be, irrespective of Brexit (retired, "inactif", employed and on a sabbatical,....).
Having just read this post in the N forum, I have asked JustCol if he would kindly update this thread for us all.

They would not be retirees to my knowledge. possibly inactif or sabbatical. I would rather think it would be post Brexit.