Opening a French bank account

Opening a French bank account

Old Oct 22nd 2020, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

zoys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Opening a French bank account

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Good point.
If you already had an account and you moved in with a friend, they would likely require an attestation d'hébergement from your host along with the usual - copy of ID, utilities bills in his name at that property etc - in order to do a change of address.
But whether they would set up a new account on that basis is less sure. To comply with money laundering and KYC regulations they need verifiable proof of address before accepting anyone as a new customer.
I thought when this was discussed earlier you were going to set up a rental contract for you to occupy the property "à titre gratuit", did you do that? If you have, I would think that should satisfy a French bank.
Hi, I have got the an attestation d'hébergement and ID etc, and explains to HSBC about the situation. Present the utility bills with my friend's name at the property sounds a good idea.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi again. Having reread an earlier thread, I'm wondering whether a high street bank would accept to open an account for a (non-French) person living at a friend's address?
Hi dmu, the HSBC people I was in contact certainly seemed positive.

As I mentioned, I have got the an attestation d'hébergement and my friend's ID etc to get things moving. As for my partner, we will be married early next year once the situation allows. As I understand, after we married, we will have some options on keep her UK residency by going back and forth or move to France more permanently.

Last edited by zoys; Oct 22nd 2020 at 10:02 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoys
Hi, I have got the an attestation d'hébergement and ID etc, and explains to HSBC about the situation. Present the utility bills with my friend's name at the property sounds a good idea.
An attestation d'hébergement would normally have to be accompanied by utility bills in any case, without them it's only half a job.
But I am just wondering whether your application is being dealt with by HSBC in the UK or HSBC in France, ie are they operating under UK or French legislation. Because I am not sure a French attestation is recognised as a legal document in the UK. In France a déclaration sur l'honneur is not a legal document as such, but it does have some legal force because a person can be prosecuted by the courts for making a false déclaration sur l'honneur. Like I said, I don't know if even a French bank would consider it sufficient to open an account for a new customer with whom they had had no previous dealings. A correctly drawn up rental contract on the other hand is a legal document and would carry more weight IMHO.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

As for my partner, we will be married early next year once the situation allows. .
Have you checked how easy it will be to get married in the UK if your partner is not a British citizen, and you are officially resdient in France at that point?
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice.
I am afraid there will not be a rental contract as there won't be any rent. From what I gathered in the replies, going to some local branches and Britline seems the way forward.
As for getting married in the UK, we have done our notice of marriage to display for 28 days and will last for one year to get married. So it is not so difficult in that front.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the advice.
I am afraid there will not be a rental contract as there won't be any rent.
I thought we went through this in another thread. Maybe it was a different poster.
A contract will protect both you and your friend. The rent can be nil. It is a good idea to have a proper agreement on who is responsible for what, it might save you falling out bigly later on, should any issues arise.
Google will find you plenty of websites including this one which came top of the list and looks pretty good https://www.juritravail.com/Actualit...20code%20civil. that give you all the info you need to draw up this type of contract.

Last edited by EuroTrash; Oct 22nd 2020 at 10:44 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat056 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.
I am afraid there will not be a rental contract as there won't be any rent. From what I gathered in the replies, going to some local branches and Britline seems the way forward.
As for getting married in the UK, we have done our notice of marriage to display for 28 days and will last for one year to get married. So it is not so difficult in that front.
Just to be clear, Britline ask for exactly the same documents and proofs that any bank asks for. The ease for us was that we could use our UK documents to open the account before we came to France. That's why I posted that you should ignore my suggestion if you have already made the move. Only if you still have a foothold in UK and the relevant documents could you open a Britline account.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alianco
Just to be clear, Britline ask for exactly the same documents and proofs that any bank asks for. The ease for us was that we could use our UK documents to open the account before we came to France. That's why I posted that you should ignore my suggestion if you have already made the move. Only if you still have a foothold in UK and the relevant documents could you open a Britline account.
Hi Alianco, thanks for the reminder. Yes, I still have my UK address and the relevant documents. I intend to keep that way at least for a while, at least during this time to set things up.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As for my partner, we will be married early next year once the situation allows. As I understand, after we married, we will have some options on keep her UK residency by going back and forth or move to France more permanently.
I imagine you have looked into this carefully but it's not immediately obvious that your partner will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement if you get married in 2021.
This example in the FAQs is of an EU citizen living in the UK and marrying an non EU citizen after the end of transition, but the same principle applies irrespective of country.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...ights_en_0.pdf
I live and work in the UK. I am single but, hopefully, one day I will marry. Realistically, it will be after the end of the transition period. Will my future spouse be able to join me in the UK? What if we have a baby?
Your future spouse will not be able to join you under the Withdrawal Agreement, as it does not protect those who will marry an EU citizen after the end of the transition period. Any such future spouse will have to comply with UK immigration rules. Any future child will be able to join an EU citizen resident in the UK before the end of the transition period if that parent has legal custody of the child.

Old Oct 22nd 2020, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

I imagine you have looked into this carefully but it's not immediately obvious that your partner will be covered by the Withdrawal Agreement if you get married in 2021.
This example in the FAQs is of an EU citizen living in the UK and marrying an non EU citizen after the end of transition, but the same principle applies irrespective of country.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/site...ights_en_0.pdf
I live and work in the UK. I am single but, hopefully, one day I will marry. Realistically, it will be after the end of the transition period. Will my future spouse be able to join me in the UK? What if we have a baby?
Your future spouse will not be able to join you under the Withdrawal Agreement, as it does not protect those who will marry an EU citizen after the end of the transition period. Any such future spouse will have to comply with UK immigration rules. Any future child will be able to join an EU citizen resident in the UK before the end of the transition period if that parent has legal custody of the child.
Hi Eurotrash, many thanks for the reminder. I was asking about opening a bank account initially.
Yes, I understand that she won't be covered under the withdrawal agreement if we are married next year, and she will need to go through the French immigration system to join me. However, there is still an opportunity for us to be married at this side of the transition period, it is only the current situation being absolutely crazy and I am currently focus on setting things up in France first.
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi Eurotrash, many thanks for the reminder. I was asking about opening a bank account initially.
So you were. Let's blame dmu for the thread drift
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 12:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

So you were. Let's blame dmu for the thread drift

I did put it in brackets, as it was a sort of reminder of the OH's general situation.
And back on topic, have to agree that a written agreement should be signed between the OH and friend for many reasons, including Insurance issues in the event of accident and/or damage... Am I right it thinking that such a contract should be worded in French?
Old Oct 22nd 2020, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu

Am I right it thinking that such a contract should be worded in French?
An occupancy contract on a property in France is governed by French law so yes it must be in French.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 6:53 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

An occupancy contract on a property in France is governed by French law so yes it must be in French.
That's what I thought, I just wanted the OP to be aware of this, in case his friend isn't French.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

cardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond reputecardi has a reputation beyond repute

If access to cash and payment of bills is the most important you might find it worthwhile to open a Livret A account. Can be quick and easy. There is no residence requirement, you can have over 22,000 euros,it gets a bit of interest and you get a cash card. You can pay bills by RIB and set up direct debits for essential payments. Would give you time to look around.