Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Opening a bank account in France

Opening a bank account in France

Old Oct 22nd 2015, 3:02 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 3,027
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opening a bank account in France

Information regarding banking in France may vary from bank to bank.
It is possible to open a bank account in France even if you are non-resident.
You can open an account in France if you are resident in the UK; Ireland or France.
You can be an existing property or future property owner or regular visitor to France.
You will need to provide personal details for each applicant including:

Occupation details
Annual income (possibly annual tax paid)
Value of property (UK and French)
Proof of identity - Passport and Photocard driving licence
Proof of address - Utility bill; bank statement; copy of P60
Evidence of income
a) if employed - copies of last 3 months payslips.
b) If self-employed - Copy of most recent SA302 showing income declared and tax due.
c) If retired - Most recent pension statement and/or income from investments.
Bank statements - copies of last 2 consequent months bank statements.
It is best to have original birth certificates and marriage certificate.
You may have to pay an annual charge for each debit card.
You may have to pay a monthly charge for a current account.
Bank cards normally have a weekly and monthly limit.
Cheques are still commonly used in France.

Additions and corrections welcome
cyrian is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 3:33 am
  #2  
Hostage Negotiator
 
InVinoVeritas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,173
InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

If you have an HSBC Premier account somewhere in the world then you don't need to do any of that. Just contact your relationship manager where your main account is held and ask them to open an account for you at the HSBC branch you prefer in France. You will automatically become an HSBC Premier customer at that branch and you will be able to make transfers between your accounts in the different countries free of charge.
InVinoVeritas is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 3:44 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Cyrian very comprehensive. Well done.

If I could suggest residency MAY be proved by an attestation from the Mairie (mine was). But it clearly depends on how co-operative your bank is feeling.
As we all know, you have to go armed with every imaginable piece of paper.
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 3:49 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
bigglesworth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: The Charente - still smiling.
Posts: 2,624
bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Cyrian if you are thinking of the updated sticky, should ww think of dividing into sections? e.g. t

Travel
Airports
https://www.google.com/maps/d

Trains
The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...
https://www.captaintrain.com/en
SNCF - Trains, Services, Entreprises, Emploi | SNCF

etc
bigglesworth is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 4:23 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
If you have an HSBC Premier account somewhere in the world then you don't need to do any of that. Just contact your relationship manager where your main account is held and ask them to open an account for you at the HSBC branch you prefer in France. You will automatically become an HSBC Premier customer at that branch and you will be able to make transfers between your accounts in the different countries free of charge.
However you do need to be pretty well heeled to have an HSBC Premier account - it's not for the likes of me When I was looking into French bank accounts somebody suggested this to me so I went in to chat to HSBC. My mind started to glaze over when the account manager started to explain the minimum monthly income required - it was more than I earned in a year. I smiled confidently and said 'oh that's no problem I can arrange that', and as soon as I got out of the bank I stuffed my application pack into the nearest litter bin. Of course that was 10+ years ago so they may be more inclusive now.
EuroTrash is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:23 am
  #6  
Hostage Negotiator
 
InVinoVeritas's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,173
InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
However you do need to be pretty well heeled to have an HSBC Premier account - it's not for the likes of me When I was looking into French bank accounts somebody suggested this to me so I went in to chat to HSBC. My mind started to glaze over when the account manager started to explain the minimum monthly income required - it was more than I earned in a year. I smiled confidently and said 'oh that's no problem I can arrange that', and as soon as I got out of the bank I stuffed my application pack into the nearest litter bin. Of course that was 10+ years ago so they may be more inclusive now.
It's true that you need to have a minimum average balance which varies from country to country, but this will include any investment portfolios you hold with HSBC. In the UK the minimum balance is £60K. If you meet this minimum balance then you don't need to have a minimum income.

Given the benefits of their Global Internet banking system it seems a pretty interesting deal for anyone who is thinking of moving to France but really I just wanted to point out that someone who already has such an account will not need to go through the hassle which Cyrian has so helpfully described.
InVinoVeritas is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:48 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 3,027
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Cyrian if you are thinking of the updated sticky, should ww think of dividing into sections? e.g. t

Travel
Airports
https://www.google.com/maps/d

Trains
The Man in Seat Sixty-One - the train travel guide...
https://www.captaintrain.com/en
SNCF - Trains, Services, Entreprises, Emploi | SNCF

etc
Absolutely
cyrian is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:10 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
It's true that you need to have a minimum average balance which varies from country to country, but this will include any investment portfolios you hold with HSBC. In the UK the minimum balance is £60K. If you meet this minimum balance then you don't need to have a minimum income.

Given the benefits of their Global Internet banking system it seems a pretty interesting deal for anyone who is thinking of moving to France but really I just wanted to point out that someone who already has such an account will not need to go through the hassle which Cyrian has so helpfully described.
Yes quite.
One of the challenges of this sticky is going to be making it relevant to the entire spectrum of readers - from people with three figure salaries and the odd 60k tucked away for a rainy day, to people like me that come here on a wing and a prayer.

Cyrian - one thing that might be useful to mention is the M ou Mme / M et Mme issue. I don't actually know if this still does cause problems ever, but it used to happen that some people inadvertently had their accounts set up such that every cheque needed to be signed by both of them, rather than one or the other.
EuroTrash is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 6:49 am
  #9  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
It's true that you need to have a minimum average balance which varies from country to country, but this will include any investment portfolios you hold with HSBC. In the UK the minimum balance is £60K. If you meet this minimum balance then you don't need to have a minimum income.
I've posted this before, so I apologise for that, but that is what we did, I think in 2007. We opened an HSBC Premier account in Canada by transferring $100k of the OH's retirement saving into HSBC managed investment accounts and then opened accounts first in France and then later in the UK, at no cost. As you said, Global Transfer between these accounts is free.

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes quite.
One of the challenges of this sticky is going to be making it relevant to the entire spectrum of readers - from people with three figure salaries and the odd 60k tucked away for a rainy day, to people like me that come here on a wing and a prayer.
Agreed. I nominate dmu to sort it all out.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:18 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dépt 61
Posts: 5,254
EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed. I nominate dmu to sort it all out.
+1
EuroTrash is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:39 am
  #11  
Quien no sabe
 
Chatter Static's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,989
Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

I sugest we have one thread with links to all the threads we are we are using to pencil a new FAQ thread together with that way crap won't get too jumbled up initially. There is a fair bit of ground to cover considering all the different areas of bureaucracy encountered with life here. Most of which goes right over my head but you lot tend to know how to manage day to day stuff here...

Then once we have enough info the relevant post could be merged into one thread or it could remain as links to the threads within this section. trimming out any banter from those threads so they remain relevant and concise. People tend to get bored if they have too much information.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Oct 22nd 2015 at 9:27 am.
Chatter Static is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 9:09 am
  #12  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,901
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I nominate dmu to sort it all out.
"Accept my thanks for the compliment you are paying me.... I am very sensible of the honour of your proposals, but it is impossible for me to do otherwise than decline them."

Without false modesty, I would be incapable of doing this, I'm an absolute Dummy in forum M.O.s and terminology.
But thank you all for the compliment!
dmu is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 10:17 am
  #13  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,259
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by dmu
"Accept my thanks for the compliment you are paying me.... I am very sensible of the honour of your proposals, but it is impossible for me to do otherwise than decline them."

Without false modesty, I would be incapable of doing this, I'm an absolute Dummy in forum M.O.s and terminology.
But thank you all for the compliment!
Oh, G'wan. You know you want to.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:37 pm
  #14  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 8,901
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh, G'wan. You know you want to.
I'd dearly like to, but I'm technically incapable....
dmu is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 8:21 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 3,027
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opening a bank account in France

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
I sugest we have one thread with links to all the threads we are we are using to pencil a new FAQ thread together with that way crap won't get too jumbled up initially. There is a fair bit of ground to cover considering all the different areas of bureaucracy encountered with life here. Most of which goes right over my head but you lot tend to know how to manage day to day stuff here...

Then once we have enough info the relevant post could be merged into one thread or it could remain as links to the threads within this section. trimming out any banter from those threads so they remain relevant and concise. People tend to get bored if they have too much information.
I think that is what I suggested in post #31 here http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc.../#post11777335
cyrian is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.