Onion Johnny

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Onion Johnny

I think this is going to be old news to everybody else, but myself. I was talking with my partner last night, and told her how the stereotypical image of the French was with the stripey top, onions round the neck, beret and bicycle - she found it quite bizarre, and I got the impression most French don't know that this is the stereotype most Brits hold. (Incidentally whilst on the subject of stereotypes, my sister's Japanese friend came to England expecting everyone to be wearing bowler hats. ).
By chance I found out that Onion Johnny's were Breton farmers that came door-to-door with onions around their neck in the UK during the 1950's and before. The trade started in 1828, and the golden era was in the 1920's when the best part of 1400 Johnny's imported over 9000 tonnes of onions to the UK.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:59 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Onion Johnny

I didn't know that either - fascinating. What is also interesting is how these stereotypes become part of our comprehension and we don't often think about where they came from.

Also, how some TV programmes play on it, such as 'Allo 'Allo, which we discovered most French have never even seen. Apparently, it had more impact on the Germans who reputedly hate it, as Heir Flick is portrayed as a rather insipid lisping figure of fun, and one of the other German officers is very "camp", and even the two English RAF officers are the white-scarf "Hellair" brigade. And less said about Terry from Eastenders as a famous Italian idiot ..... still worth a bit of a laugh on Sunday lunchtime on BBC one as I have now been deprived of proper (ie Sky) telly.

The stereotypical Frenchman is to be found now in Torquay High Street, every Thursday, as they have their own version of a "French Market" - all of course are really just English market traders dressing up and adopting crass accents to supposedly add to the atmosphere, once again, all intended to make poor old average Brit wannabe's part with their cash on sausage-shaped English bread.

So, "Onion Jonny" is alive and well and living in Torquay ............

Or is this me being particularly cynical?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:47 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting post. On the continental markets I've seen in good old Sheffield the traders have been mixed. There are certainly plenty of French and Dutch traders including a good slice of Basques with their berets - the Basque country being where that particular headgear came from. Not sure how it became identified with the French in general especially as the Basques are not exactly the most French of the French. Anyone know?
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 7:55 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't ask me m8, thought a basque was a bit of women's underwear that holds in the flabby bits ................
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:13 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Don't ask me m8, thought a basque was a bit of women's underwear that holds in the flabby bits ................
you are the basquet case clearly
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 8:24 pm
Grey Bombshell

Well, as Jazz said, we are "as mad as a box of badgers" so there's no arguing with THAT!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Ashby-de-la-Zouch in Leicestershire and we'd often have a French market there, although the traders never played up to the stereotype for the sake of trade.
I brought 'Allo 'Allo across the channel with me, but I somehow think my partner will not get the humour, and might end up being offended by it. I once told her the French can't accept criticism and received a 15 minute lecture over my remark! :curse:
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:40 pm
Grey Bombshell

lol, sounds about right. Us Brits do seem better at "sending ourselves up" than some other cultures. Humour is a strange concept, and even in our own country different people find different things funny.

For example, when Zinadine Zidane head butted someone during a really important match, most of the French we knew were horrified one of their "gods" had done such a thing - the majority of Brits if David Beckham screwed up just laugh.

Equally, anyone remember "It's a knockout", what a hoot, I thought it was all in fun, but some countries sure took it seriously, whereas most Brits see it for what it is - a bit of fun and an opportunity to make oneself look a bit of an idiot in an acceptable fashion.

Same with the Eurovision contest I am told (and NO, I could never be persuaded to watch that, no matter what the incentive) but my OH watches it cos he enjoys what he calls "the psychology of the humourous element and the deplorable tactical voting system". And don't ask me what that means, far too many syllables for me ................
Old Aug 4th 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dare I say I was in a British pub in Paris when the Euro Vision song contest was on. They had it on the TV and even though there was no sound, everyone seemed glued to it. At least Terry Wogan takes it with a pinch of salt. There was a whole Hooha about it in France, because I'm told their entry included some English in the vocals. Anyway, change of subject, I really can't stand the whole Euro Vision thing!

I do think the English can laugh at themselves more than other nations. I'm really not very good with French humour - it seems to rely on puns or politics, or poking fun at Britain (just as long as France is never mentioned!)
Old Aug 4th 2008, 4:50 pm
Grey Bombshell

Probably the only way to avoid total madness is to watch it with the sound down, not a one of em can sing a note I am told.

And apparently that famous idiot Christopher Biggins was an entry one year - sweet mother of God, how embarrassing to be British at times like that......
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll pretend that I don't know he was on that reality TV show set in Australia!
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:23 pm
Grey Bombshell

Pity it wasn't the one where anyone wearing Bottle Bottom Glasses was bitten by a black widow ..................
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:08 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Andrea50;6644980]Pity it wasn't the one where anyone wearing Bottle Bottom Glasses was bitten by a black widow ..................[/QUOTE

I thougt a Black Widow was a tropical fish.
But could be wrong

Last edited by stanage2; Aug 9th 2008 at 7:14 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2008, 10:10 pm
Grey Bombshell

lol, well done Stan, no dear, a Black Widow is a dangerous poisonous spider - female obviously - one to be avoided if one does not want to end up a human equivalent to a dead puffball ............

Actually, the most venomous spider in Australia that would have done for Old Chris, bottle bottom glasses or not, would have been the Funnel Web - Black widows are indiginous to America, but my joke would not have worked so well with a funnel web as most people have never heard of them but most have heard of Black Widows! (I think they call it "poetic licence" ...........)

Check your slippers - they have been known to come over in boxes of bananas etc.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:39 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andrea50
lol, well done Stan, no dear, a Black Widow is a dangerous poisonous spider - female obviously - one to be avoided if one does not want to end up a human equivalent to a dead puffball ............

Actually, the most venomous spider in Australia that would have done for Old Chris, bottle bottom glasses or not, would have been the Funnel Web - Black widows are indiginous to America, but my joke would not have worked so well with a funnel web as most people have never heard of them but most have heard of Black Widows! (I think they call it "poetic licence" ...........)

Check your slippers - they have been known to come over in boxes of bananas etc.
Would it be possible to ship them to Australia?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.