Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

"Old folks homes in France"

"Old folks homes in France"

Old May 28th 2009, 11:47 am
Senior

donpedro1939 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Old folks homes in France"

I suppose we will all finish up there one day.
Do they exist in France?
What are they like?
Are they government sponsored (like NHS) and paid for by the government or paid for by insurance or are they private. If paid for by insurance or yourself i.e. 'private' can anyone throw light on costs etc.
We are talking long term care as well here so anything that casts some light on all aspects would be appreciated.
Old May 28th 2009, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

arubus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Old folks homes in France"

I believe there are both private and state old peeps homes in France - but have no idea in regards to the cost.

My husbands grandmother, who is in her nineties, moved into a state home about 2 years ago. The home she is in provides different levels of care - for her it is really just a warden on call, so we haven't seen what the higher levels of care are like.

However saying that the home she is in is great. She has a good sized studio apartment, with a small kitchenet, toilet and shower, there are lots of communal areas with entertainment and organised activities, the home is extremely clean and the staff very friendly. There is also a 'canteen' where she has her meals and menu could honestly compete with some restaurants in quality and choice.

When I was still living in England, I considered applying for a flat there myself
Old May 28th 2009, 1:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donpedro1939
I suppose we will all finish up there one day.
Do they exist in France?
What are they like?
Are they government sponsored (like NHS) and paid for by the government or paid for by insurance or are they private. If paid for by insurance or yourself i.e. 'private' can anyone throw light on costs etc.
We are talking long term care as well here so anything that casts some light on all aspects would be appreciated.
There are all types of Maisons de Santé, Maisons de Retraite, private or "public", with or without medical services. It depends on what your financial situation is, whether you need medical treatment or just sheltered accommodation. You'd have to look into the matter on the spot, as a lot would also depend on whether you're in a town or a rural area, and discuss it with your G.P. Sorry, but I haven't been much help!
I would warn you that, if you don't speak French, there will be serious communication problems. I go visiting an elderly English lady in a Maison de Santé (no idea how much she pays) who has a list of essential expressions in French for important things, otherwise she doesn't understand the carers or other residents when they try to chat with her, and she's very lonely.
Old May 29th 2009, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Yes the language consideration is important. I've just been attempting to teach French social care students and I can tell you they don't want to know about learning English. What we also tend to forget is that when we become a bit more gaga we may forget all the French we've learnt.
Costs locally for excellent full nursing care are 800 euros to 1100 euros per month but with rises in the pipeline. These are in rural villages. There is also hospice care in Thiviers. I've met the Director who comes across as a sensitive caring man but I have no idea what it's like in there. A neighbour's husband was sent there when he had Alzheimers and became violent towards her.