Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Oil fired boiler

Oil fired boiler

Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

AlainDeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil fired boiler

Can anyone help? Just moved here and inherited an Optima GLS boiler. What temperature should the thermostat be at for hot water, ours seems to be at 70, and how do you adjust it I've tried turning the ' thermostat de chaudiere ' and nothing happens except a click when it passes the point it was set at when we arrived.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:45 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oil fired boiler

Not the same make, but ours is set at 80. Why not get a chauffagiste to come out and give it a look over, and explain it at the same time? As well as the temperature setting (on ours) you also have to switch from winter to summer, and move the dial for the pump - totally different to the UK!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I was planning to get a plumber out for other stuff later in the year, the main thing I wanted to know was how to alter the thermostat.

Last edited by AlainDeM; Aug 4th 2012 at 7:56 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i just googled your boiler, and found internet pages and forums fairly active with confusion on this model.
As per earlier advice, get a chauffagiste to come and advise, as tinkering with boiler or any other thermostat is unlikely to give satisfaction on its own.
If in doubt as to which chaufagiste to call, ask for guidance from the local bar.
It is what I did 8 years ago, and have been very happy with the guy recommended, for hot water, heating and pool.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, it's a shame but the handbook isn't available in English.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bit hot, but if you have a radiator system then in winter this would be (+/-) the recommended temperature. Don't think by setting the t° to 45 on this boiler that you'll be saving fuel - you won't be. All you'll be doing is creating more problems for the near future. With these kind of boilers you can't differentiate the sanitary water T° and the heating water T° - if its too hot then you have to install a mixer tap behind the boiler on the hot water outlet
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Could you explain what the problem is, perhaps, and why you want to change the thermostat?
Is the water too hot, or what?
It is hard to help with a single question presented in isolation.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChissayLuke
Could you explain what the problem is, perhaps, and why you want to change the thermostat?
Is the water too hot, or what?
It is hard to help with a single question presented in isolation.
There is no problem - its perfectly normal and theres no need to change the thermostat. If you want cooler hot water, you can't just turn the temp down on these kind of boilers (bain marie) so you'll have to put a mixer tap on the hot water outlet. The min T° you can run these boilers at is 60° - but certainly no less, otherwise condensation will build up in the chimney and heating element. This condensation is acidic and will do no good for the boiler itself and in the long run it'll cost you in repairs.....
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

I was really trying to get at why AlainDeM was posing his question.

i.e. what condition existed that (s)he felt it necessary to change the thermostat at all.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChissayLuke
I was really trying to get at why AlainDeM was posing his question.

i.e. what condition existed that (s)he felt it necessary to change the thermostat at all.
He didn't say he wanted to change it - just wanted to know how to alter it

To alter it on an Optima GLS you just have to turn the dial to the left/right. The fact that you heard a click is a clear sign thats its in working order
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

LOL, ok le Plumber, I am sure you are right on all counts!
I was just trying to be helpful, not competitive.
Again, I was just wondering what condition exists that he might wish to alter it.
And, of course, a 'click' on a thermostat is a good indication that the thermostat itself is ok, but not necessarily the electrical connections thereto, perhaps.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both, firstly the reason I was interested in how to change the temperature was that I thought that at 70 it was running too hot, and I was wasting energy ( and money ), also I wanted to know why moving the control marked ' thermostat de chaudiere ' failed to make any difference. The other reason is just that I like to know how things work.
I will at sometime speak to a heating engineer but at the moment my French isn't up to technical chit chat.
Thanks again.

Last edited by AlainDeM; Aug 4th 2012 at 10:14 pm.