Reload this Page >

Obtaining a carte Grise

Obtaining a carte Grise

Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Peter219 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining a carte Grise

Bonjour All

I am asking for advice please on the registration in France of my UK registered car. It is 18 months old and has 8000 km on the clock. I think the system has recently changed?

I understand that an import document is needed, is this now obtained on line?
I guess too that I will need to obtain a controle technique, even tho' the car is under three years old? I have already had the lights realigned for driving on the right.

I do have a certificate of conformity and the invoice.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining a carte Grise

Here you go.
https://www.service-public.fr/partic...vosdroits/F179

Even if a form is available on-line (believe this is still in the experimental stage, but your prefecture should be able to confirm), I would suggest going along in person to your local tax office to obtain the certificate confirming vehicle tax clearance. You will need to produce the docs indicated in the above link.
As I've mentioned several times in the past, personally I would now never bring a UK vehicle here with the intention of regularising it onto the system. Many however would strongly disagree - and there's nothing wrong with that.
Over the years and during my travels I have imported a vehicle into Italy (once) and France (twice). I was younger and more naive, and after these occasions I said, "I'll never do that again, but after the 3rd time I really meant it! There are means and ways of purchasing s/h or new vehicles here with the minimum of hassle, and also getting the best value for money (especially in Dec). With a French speaking person to guide you there are some great bargains - don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
And HERE's an interesting related thread, with some 40+ posts - obviously a popular subject.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 30th 2018 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter219
I guess too that I will need to obtain a controle technique, even tho' the car is under three years old?
If the car is less than 4 years old it doesn't need a CT does it?
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both, useful link on quitus fiscal.
I thought I had heard that a non french vehicle needed a CT to confirm it was in line with french regulations, even if less than 4 years old but I guess this is covered by the certificate of conformity and I have probably remembered wrong.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both, useful link on quitus fiscal.
I thought I had heard that a non french vehicle needed a CT to confirm it was in line with french regulations, even if less than 4 years old but I guess this is covered by the certificate of conformity and I have probably remembered wrong.
As you say, that is exactly what the CoC is for.
It's also permitted now to use a UK MoT certificate issued within the last 6 months to register a UK vehicle that is of an age that needs a test.
I don't think you need a CT.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks....that is really helpful..
I will go to the local hôtel des impôts tomorrow for the quitus fiscal.
Peter
Old Jan 31st 2018, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks....that is really helpful..
I will go to the local hôtel des impôts tomorrow for the quitus fiscal.
Peter
Please let us know how you get on. Always useful for others who may wish to follow the same route. Good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Considering the documents required to procure a quitus fiscale it's hard to imagine it ever working successfully online.

Those include:

Passport or Carte/Titre de Sejour for proof of ID.
Utility bill for proof of address,
V5 or DVLA Certificate of Permanent Export.
Sales receipt, dealer invoice, or other proof of actual purchase.

They will of course need to be originals, or at the very least certified copies.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Considering the documents required to procure a quitus fiscale it's hard to imagine it ever working successfully online.

Those include:

They will of course need to be originals, or at the very least certified copies.
Not sure why this would be such a problem? French online admin is generally very efficient, although ANTS is having bad teething problems.

Proof of ID and address becomes a one-click process for everyone who is "in the system", once they have obtained their digital ID. Your ID is then confirmed by simply logging on. Won't work for anyone who isn't registered as a taxpayer or doesn't have a social security number, but third parties wh are in the system can do it for them

It's been possible to submit scanned documents on CAF and other portals for many years, I've submitted copies of passport and birth certificate and various attestations that way, didn't have to be certified. Sometimes for legal reasons you also have to send signed originals in the post before the transaction can be completed.

I'm impressed with the progress of "dématerialisation" in France.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you're impressed because I'm far from it !

Tried to use ANTS today to transfer ownership of a car I was selling, I got my code number OK but when we tried to do the actual transfer the system refused it and when we checked further found that for some bizarre reason it had changed the number completely which meant that we were totally stymied.

The new owner now has no option but to visit her prefecture to get it sorted, a 100km round trip.

Not a language thing either because the buyer is a court certified translator !
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never said I was impressed by ANTS. It is having bad teething problems. Online tax declarations had teething problems the first year but it's now almost a pleasure to use, very intuitive, and gets better each year; likewise declarations to URSSAF; likewise dealing with CAF; likewise dealing with RAM; yes I am very impressed with how well all these work.

The big problem with ANTS seems to be with the codes. I changed cars at the end of 2016 and I was sent a code with the carte grise, with a letter explaining that in the future this code would be needed for any change of ownership etc. So the only people affected are those that owned their cars before they started sending out codes automatically, or those that lost the code because they didn't realise how important it would be - which is a lot of people at the moment, and it's a bad balls up, but eventually when most people have changed their car since 2016 it will no longer be a big issue.
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

Those include:

These four documents ( passport, V5C, EDF bill and dealer invoice) were all I needed and I got the quitus fiscal with no problem. They did want to know the current kilométrage.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Update on my Carte Grise Application.

I have progressed a bit with this. I found it very complicated and have outlined below the steps I took, for others trying to register their british car in France.

Please note that I have not yet got a carte grise, so I have not necessarily done this all correctly. All corrections/suggestions/experiences welcome.

First of all I got a Quitus Fiscal from the local tax office ...Hotel d'impôts..This is just a document proving no tax is due on the car and you need to go with V5C, receipt proving ownership, passport and proof of residence. They will ask for the current mileage. You will be given a sheet of paper with your details and the cars details. No money needed in my case, I think for new or newish cars some tax may be payable.

Next step is to register on the ANTS website. https://ants.gouv.fr/ This is the government site where car registration, licences and so on are now issued. You will end up with a user name and password.

The next step, which took a bit of working out , is to register with an authorisation service. This is as I understand it a means of confirming your identity and address. I used an app called mobile connect which works with a my phone and french orange sim...you have to photogragh yourself on your smartphone, photograph yourself again with one eye closed !!, photograph your passport, register your mobile number and after a couple of days you are registered and should have a four digit authorisation number.

Confused yet?

Next step, go back to the ANTS website ( I describe it in this order because I found my way to the authorisation service via the ANTS site).
Find the Immatriculation page
Select vos démarches (left hand column)
Select immatriculation véhicule d’occasion (used car)
Select immatriculation un véhicule d’occasion en provenance de l’étangere
Select ‘Je souhaite faire une autre demande.’
Click on S’identifier avec FranceConnect. This is the step where I used the authorisation service.
This will take you to a page where you can download an application form (Cerfa 13750) for a carte grise.
Fill this in, print it out, sign it then scan it.
There is also a page where you can upload this document, together with scans of the following documents.
V5C
Certificate of conformity
Purchase invoice proving you own the car
A document proving residence...I used an EDF bill
Quitus fiscal
There is also a free text field where you can outline your request.

Then press a button and it all gets sent off to ANTS HQ...hopefully

In my case I did this all a 2 weeks or so ago and heard nothing. Reviewing my 'current applications' on the ANTS site there is a little yellow triangle by the application, but no hint as to what is holding things up. There is a facility on the site to send a query by email which I did a week or so ago but no response.

I have heard subsequently that the ANTS site is in a state of chaos, not working properly and that emails are not answered.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Just one reason why for ages I've never advised bringing a UK car to France and re-registering.
Many of course will disagree, like a bit of excitement, living dangerously when overtaking lorries etc in a r.h. drive, complications during the control technique, pulling a muscle whilst overstretching at a pay booth when alone etc....
An easy existance for me every time.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
pulling a muscle whilst overstretching at a pay booth when alone etc....
When I had an RHD I perfected a kind of apologetic yes-I-know-I'm-a-PITA-but-please-bear-with-me smile that I used to beam at the car behind as I got out, trotted round to the machine, did whatever, trotted back, pharted about getting my seatbelt on, and finally, finally, finally, fout'ed le camp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.